Author Topic: In the shade of my Stetson  (Read 35132 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: In the shade of my Stetson
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 02:59:22 AM »
Graham Parker- the angriest singer circa '76??? :BWAHAHAH:
I can think of any number of punk rockers and angst- ridden malcontents who would disagree.
Mmmh... except that he was an angry little man good couple of years before angry became fashionable (and perfectly viable as a retail item)
(One my favourite albums of all time is GP & the Rumour "Stick to me")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAW6-_SsCOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NlS-f29xM

Oh, my! He's still around! Voice hasn't changed a bit! Brilliant.  :2thumbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnY5IiLpns
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:06:09 AM by fdlsys »
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
Yes! Stick to me is a fantastic album, Problem Child, heat in Harlem, and I'm gonna tear Your playhouse down, man
they almost did, that was one of the best live bands ever!

Another good live act from April 74, Rock´n roll animal, Lou Reed on tour with a band that can actually play,
Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on Guitar, Prakash John on the Bass, Penti Glenn hammers away on the drums
Ray Colcord in charge of keyboards.

A long guitarintro, 5 minutes until Lou enters stage and Sweet Jane the way it was supposed to be played starts
one of the heaviest live albums ever, needs to be played LOUD, i mean LOUD! 5 songs of rock history
is followed by Lou Reed Live a few months later, from the same tour which also stopped in Stockholm Concert Hall
late fall 74, i watched from 10th row, one of the great moments in (my) rock history.

The Swedish radio recorded that Concert (they recorded a lot of live Music back then, allways in fantastic quality)
someone later stole or "borrowed" the tape and produced a bootleg, Lou Reed Live Stockholm 1974, You need all
Three records, the last one hard to find outside Sweden but if anyone wants it I'll transfer to CD and drop in the mail.

Ingvar

A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline xumbug

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »
Thank You, honestly I'm feel a bit embarrassed by the welcomes I've received on this forum,
the tone of speech here is heartwarming, I'm Active on many foras around the cyberworld
but this must be the nicest Place i ever stumbled into, thank You Stu! For making me look this Place
up and for making the day up here in the vicinity of the Northpole a lot better with Your mails!

Ingvar (troublesome when You fail to spell Your own name?=

Hi Ingvar,

I/we love having you around, your threads are awesome, interesting and fun to read, I find them a welcome change from the norm! I am so glad that you have joined us here in Sunny South Africa. Most of the people here are very easy going and have a lot of fun on the forum, there is always a bit of tongue 'n cheek. I do not post too much, but I am always here looking and reading what people have to say. So I hope you will enjoy your stay at AVForums South Africa and have many fun and interesting years here ;)

Stu   
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »
Hi Stu!

Yes, i really enjoy this forum and the the tone in conversation here, we´ll see how long
You can take my ramblings and abuse of the language thou.

Have to do some minor work at The Square (favourite bar/restaurant) now but back to
disturb You afterwards.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »
So, 1979, in this strange mix, melting pot that's sometimes called Americana, country, blues, Bluegrass, rock, folk and whatever stirred together we get Pink Cadillac from John Prine. I Think this is a real gem, as usual mostly own, very good, songs but also a masterly cover
of Rowland Salleys "Killing the blues", His cancer was only lurking at this time but his voice had started to get that fabulous grain that has
gotten to be his signature. On track 1, Saigon, one of the guitar amps blows up, clearly Heard on the record, kinda rockn roll.
Good recording and a very nice sound, extremely well suited for Your recordshelf.

Ingvar

Offline Peter Carpenter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Pleasure to see your postings here Ingvar.

Offline chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
So, 1979, in this strange mix, melting pot that's sometimes called Americana, country, blues, Bluegrass, rock, folk and whatever stirred together we get Pink Cadillac from John Prine. I Think this is a real gem, as usual mostly own, very good, songs but also a masterly cover
of Rowland Salleys "Killing the blues", His cancer was only lurking at this time but his voice had started to get that fabulous grain that has
gotten to be his signature. On track 1, Saigon, one of the guitar amps blows up, clearly Heard on the record, kinda rockn roll.
Good recording and a very nice sound, extremely well suited for Your recordshelf.

Ingvar

Bonnie Raitt & John Prine performing  "Angel From Montgomery" still one of my all time favorites

~ music is imagination given instrumentation ~

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
Bonnie Raitt & John Prine performing  "Angel From Montgomery" still one of my all time favorites

Yes, good duets is something very special, if John Prine is involved special out of this World.
A later record which i missed at release time 1995, Lost dogs and mixed blessings, bought it
some years ago, only available on a tiny shimmering record with a far to large center hole
to fit on my Sony TTS3000 so i had to put it in the strange gramophone in the rear of my
Baader Meinhof Wagen, old fashioned record changer of some sort, takes six of those tiny
silverdiscs.

Driving to work 45km motorway each direction, listening to this for the first time, track 11
starts just Before I'm turning of the highway, at approx 135km/h, suddenly the female voice
in this duet hits me and i get goosebumps all over, almost missing the turnpike,  this simple
Little song "This love is real" turns to pure magic when Marianne Faithfulls voice comes on
and i cant even write this whitout getting goosebumps all over the monitor, the rest of the
record is actually just as good.

Go get, unfortunately only available on those Little discs.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
So while were somewhat lost out her in the great wide open, lets just take a short trip to Austin, Texas.
1984 we get "I Told You so", the second LP from Omar and the Howlers and suddenly there is a cult growing,
grapewine travels fast in the blues/boogie/rock World so the record turns up in Gothenburg just a month later.

An unpolished, rough, shouty but hardswingin masterpiece that starts of with "Border Girl" and the course for
the coming years is set.

Lifelike very unpolished sound, a must!

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »
Walking backwards a few years, to 1969 when, almost Before the genre was born, we get a country-rock masterpiece in
Steve Youngs first album, Rock Salt and Nails. This should have been re-released many times, was one in the early 80´s.
Opening track, "Thars how strong my love is" has Gram Parsons on organ!

Fabulous sound, not high gloss polished but real live, rough and with lots of real ambience.

Try to find!

Ingvar

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • A Tad Addlepated
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
Hi Ingvar, late to reply but really enjoying your selections!  I can sympathize about the cold and dark North.  A buddy of mine lives in Jakobstad/Pietersaari, just across the Baltic and I have been there in February.  Also spent quite some time up in Maine, down to minus 35 C.  Winters can be bitter!

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
Yeah, the Winter can be a real pain, this has been quite ok and were allready approaching spring temperatures.

Strange thou i met my first South African friend skiing in St Anton, Francis, ex-surfer, was DJ/bartender at
Crazy Kangaroo at nights and a wild skier daytime, SuperG skis, they were 215cm back then, and not
bothering much about turning, straight downhill, as fast as possible, played some really good Music.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »
Lets jump ten years forward again, and across the Atlantic, 79 suddenly there is "Broken English"
Marianne Faithfuls fantastic album, the voice, shaped by cigarettes, alcohol and most sorts of
other drugs, is utterly stunning.

The drug problems were far from over yet but still her return, in style, to the main scene.
Her own fabulous songs and the only true rendition of Shell Silversteins best song ever,
"The Eyes of Lucy Jordan" this gives me goosebumps all over, even between the toes.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 12:18:55 PM »
While were into this voice thing, You will find out that I'm a sucker for female voices, lets lend
an ear to perhaps the most beautiful of them all.

Twoyears earlier, 77, Emmylou Harris "Luxury Liner", title song by Gram Parsons! We'll get deeper
into the Emmylou/Gram thing later but here is the real start of one of the greatest artist alive,
on this record she also sings "Pancho and Lefty, from TwZ, won't talk about the goosebumps.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
So, wrestling myself out the grip of the Ladies for a while, let's take a trip down under.

1980, the 5:th JoJo Zep and the Falcons record, Step Lively. Now its sticking together
more than on the earlier stuff, entire record good, their own very special mix of
rock/reggae/calypso is a bit weird but this swings, try to keep Your feet still listening
to this! Soon Joe Calimero takes of to start Black Sorrows but that's Another story.

Try to find this record!

Ingvar