Author Topic: In the shade of my Stetson  (Read 43205 times)

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

Re: In the shade of my Stetson
« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
Before we leave Nick Lowe, he will be back, why not a little look at what had gone before? Starting his musical career in Brisley Scwarz, Silver Pistol is a good record, after that, before Stiff, he started rockpile together with Dave Edmunds, they didīnt get the time to record that much but D.E carried it on in the record Subtle as a flying malllet, here he plays all instruments and sings most of the harmonies himself.

Creating a wall of sound that made "Inspector Phil" murderer and maniac, green of envy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPm18d2wgcg

Doing the Nick Lowe thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy2HdKaP1EU&list=RDqy2HdKaP1EU&t=8

The beginning, Love Sculpture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWktoG5DU_4&index=4&list=RDqy2HdKaP1EU

Back in 68 Sabre Dance was a hit but also started a rumour/discussion of fake recording af the guitarr piece, this he did live last year aged 72:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s59Sz44F3i8

Ingvar

A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2017, 04:19:12 PM »
On the last day of this year, the last look on what came out of Stiff records, maybee the most known, most played and sold.

Recorded his first 4 records on the label, number one won massive critical acclaim worldwide, also sold decently, included in the rockīn roll hall of fame Elvis Costello never stopped making good, really good, music.

Starts here, good track from the first magical record "My aim is true"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQK3yo9CBA

Happy New Year dear friends down south, a cheers at midnight!

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:42 AM »
One strange weekend starting this year, Johns birthday today, that is not that strange as he was born 86-01-06, but yesterday night he was here to and asked for a birthday gift, that i quit smoking.

I said ok, stupid as i am, has worked well.
Dont beleive that lier, he has stolen two cigarettes from Brittmarie this morning, smoking when he thought he was invisible on the balcony.

Tonight he was here with a few friends, suddenly, from the conversation, we realise that the father of one, not present, guys died recently, not just anybody either.

The lost friend was my companion as football coach for many years when the boys were young, a very good man, also a superintendant at the homicide department at Gothenburg police, quit that job many years ago, he had seen enough.

To him, Lasse, to John today, and also in hope of no one spying me smoking in the backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGUwRo5Ork&list=PLGbb9KO9XC_PVsBrvpyA7EfVT0wOoOQhd&index=7

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2018, 11:43:48 PM »
Actually, we have not talked about Ryan Adams, unforgivable, even if most things are allready said i suppose, Whiskeytown was one good and fun episode, but what is actually closest to me is solo record 2, Gold.

He was still on constant war/controversy with record company but this record was released 2001. Thank You.

You dont get music much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWvbjENrgbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeOnCPeVMc

If You dont have this record, thatīs not my problem, itīs Yours, allthough i suffer with You if that is the present situation, but that can be rectified.

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
As we, in another thread, came to walk into horns where i refer to Chet Baker, maybe time to talk a little about one of the greatest horn blowers of all time?

This was a person of mystery, born to play the trompet, also a fantastic voice, died friday 13 may 1988, by own hand or accident is still unknown.

1958 and 59 he recorded a few sessions together with Bill Evans, a piano legend, fortunately Vinyl Lovers decided to release ‎– 6785409
in 2015 which is the complete recordings from these session, unmeddled with, this is what they played, recorded whitout any digital devices in sight, put on the record that way.

Listen to this through Your best gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctuG_wo1Zkk

Some other good musicians on this record.

Alto Saxophone – Zoot Sims (tracks: C1, D2)
Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams (tracks: A1 to C2, D2, D3)
Bass – Earl May (tracks: C2 to D3), Paul Chambers (3) (tracks: A1 to D10)
Drums – "Philly" Joe Jones (tracks: A4, B4, B5), Clifford Jarvis (tracks: C2 to D3), Connie Kay (tracks: A1 to A3, B1 to B3, D1)
Flute – Herbie Mann (tracks: A1 to C2, D2, D4)
Guitar – Kenny Burrell (tracks: A3, B2)
Piano – Bill Evans (tracks: A1 to D3), Bob Corwin (tracks: D4)
Tenor Saxophone – Herbie Mann (tracks: D4), Zoot Sims (tracks: C2, D4)
Trumpet – Chet Baker

Entire record so You need to have 1 hour 15 minutes to spare.

Ingvar

Offline xumbug

« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2018, 09:20:40 PM »
Great album
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
While the KJS horn design is nearly finished i realised on very important artist iīve not said anything about.

When having built something new, mostly speakers of course but also a preamp or MC head amp etc, the first thing i listen to for testing is allways the same, if what i built can convey the fantastic, allmost brutal but restrained dynamics of this song and the very good instrument and voice recording i know iīve done something right, mainly put it on because itīs good thou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oydj5H9C-no

Although SRV only got seven years of musical career he is still probably the most influential musician behind the late 70;s to early 80;s rebirth of the blues.

This was Double Trouble second record, released 1984

The reason for the fantastic sound and dynamics of tin pan alley is due to that it was the first take on the session, done before cranking up volume, recorded at very low level no compression in amps or mixer occur, several takes were tried after this at normal level, this was far superior to all of them and was left as is on the record.

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
So, finally having got SRV here, most is allready said or written long ago, but still some humble notes from me about this fabulous musician.

Getting this sound out of a stratocaster has not that much to do with how his guitar was set up, a 63 body with a 62 neck and fender original pickups from 1959, very heavy strings and downtuned half a note, itīs all in the fingers of guitar player.

All five records from Doubble Trouble are good, need to have things, Texas Flood 83, Coudnīt stand the weather 84, Soul to soul 85,  In step 89, and the posthumous The sky is crying 91.

Also a very good record is Family style recorded with his brother Jimmie,  who had made his own fame with his band Thunderbirds.

This record was released  September 25 1990, allmost exactly one month after the helicopter crash that ended SRVīs life on August 27 1990.

Whatever, these are good records and musicians among the best there ever was. SRV still holds place 7 in Rolling Stones Dave Frickeīs list of the 100 best of all times, a bit low on the list as i see it.

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »
We, Brittmarie and me, felt we had a few reasons for celebrating today, i will not mention the football game SA vs Sweden earlier today, not a single word about that, but in just a week we will be on our yearly escape to warmer climate, we have found a new place to move my workshop and the KJS horn is close to finish.

Homecooked lasagne is allways good, realised the supply of good red was pretty bad, nothing You can rectify on a sunday in Sweden, found a well chilled Lanson Pink Champagne, worked perfectly well.
(will still not mention that football game)

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
So before we escape on a short trip to warmer whereabouts, if You donīt have the Vaughan brothers Family Style mntioned up above, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJg8G02PD0&list=PLF7ADB1E8D535E097&index=5

Good record. Will be back to pester You in little more than a week, enjoy the silence meanwhile.

Also some serious activity will start down in the DIY department as i will start building KJS horns, might even be pictures from the process, alas i dont have an assistant anymore so the result we donīt know anything about.

Ingvar

Online Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »
On the flight home from 20+ degrees and sun heading towards at least 10 sub zero degrees and snow i came to think of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQhVV7WpLk

i donnīt know how that came to be, but it is a good record.

Ingvar

Offline xumbug

« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »
Hee hee, I recon going from 20deg+ to 10 below could well be like a road trip to Hell. 31Deg here today my dear friend.
Great song and a popular demo song of mine years ago :thumbs:
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Having been stuck in traffic on the M25 for hours at a time, I can see why he wrote that song!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
Having been stuck in traffic on the M25 for hours at a time, I can see why he wrote that song!
Yip, that road has a special place in hell.  Luckily I'm inside the ring road now so I don't have to have much to do with it.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
Yip, that road has a special place in hell.  Luckily I'm inside the ring road now so I don't have to have much to do with it.

Think it was in 1989 going to East London from Swindon to install portacabins we took about 2 hours on the M25 to get around outside of rush hour (roadworks, lorries etc.) and eventually decided through the centre back would be quicker.  It was - took an hour and a half in peak traffic - so much for making things easier!  Oh yes, that truly is, The Road to Hell!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?