Author Topic: In the shade of my Stetson  (Read 46413 times)

Offline Peter Carpenter

Re: In the shade of my Stetson
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion of Davey Payne, Mr. Ahlberg, looking forward to a discovery.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
So, into one of the strangest but most important stray paths in rock n roll, 1973 Ducks de Luxe release their first album, the second and last one, Taxi to the terminal Zone also contains a few good tracks, but this, the first, no other title, just Ducks de Luxe, is an absolute masterpiece.
Every single track on this record would improve 98,46% of all records ever made.

Not strange, the band is Sean Tyla, Nick Garvey, Martin Belmont and Tim Roper! Four of the corner stones in the Brittish
70/80:s rock scene.

Dont know much about the sound and recording quality, the Music is just too good for me to waste time
pondering over such stuff, i just listen, "falling for that woman" can be lethal, all tracks as good so be
carefull.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
Hm, lets stay in the same era, but jump two years back and across the Atlantic again.
1971, Flamin Groovies release their third record, Teenage Head, the last one with the
original crew, afterwards Roy A Loney, left to do his own thing . Shake some action from 76 is their
most praised record, but  i Think this is the masterpiece. Unpolished, Dirty rock n roll and
masterly crafted songs, "Yesterdays numbers" has the same male pitty coefficient as
any Willy or Merle song.

Go out and find!

Ingvar
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:12:41 PM by Ingvar Ahlberg »

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:30 PM »
Before we embark on an Eastbound 747 and head home and out of this Coca cola Emporium,
lets just stray down to Louisiana, 1969, Tony Joe White release Black and White, Polk Sallad Annie
becomes a gigantic hit in Europé, first country where it reached no1 was France, they don´t understand
a Word of the lyrics but they like bedchambermusic. Good record, the rest is history, by the way, producer
was Billy Swan, an old friend of ours!

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:54 PM »
As the only flight homewards we could get landed at Heatrow we stop and ponder a second or two
about 1976, when one of the tightest and rockiest acts ever to emerge in England ( I've seen them live in 77)
release their first album, Howlin Wind.  Graham Parker and the Rumour, front man and singer GP, a former gas station
attendant is the angriest man in rock history, the energy released on this record is slightly more than Three
Saturn V moon launch rockets had, even on a good day.

Not strange, who do we find in this band? Brinsley Schwarz, Martin Belmont, Andrew Bodnar, Steven Goulding och Bob Andrews,
produced by Nick Lowe, how could this not bee good? Several fantastic albums followed, You need all of them, bass capacity
required from Your Music machinery.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
While we're at it, the end of the same Year, a singel produced  by Pete Townsend is recorded, he also plays guitar.
Both British and American critic goes bananas, Rolling stones ranks it record of the year.

Start of 1977 the LP is released, this is one of the most important pieces of Music to have, i dare Anyone of You to
keep Your feet still listening to this. Haven't cot the foggiest idea of what genre to label this but everybode needs to
have a copy of John Otway & Wild Willy Barrets first record, the single, "Louisa on a horse" is of course on the
record, get this, and play loud, really loud!

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »
So, decided tho break one of the rules of this thread, only one record each post, but i trust You not to rat on me
so i might get away with this. Going to 1973 when we get "High low and in between" then in 74 we get "The late
great Townes Van Zandt", actually every song he ever wrote should be here but lets start here. Pure magic with
some of his most known songs and stupidly good cover of Hanks "Honky Tonkin" and when the Mariachi trumpets
hit it in "Panco and Lefty" theres not one single hair on my body that not Points straight out, that looks pretty silly
when You re old, grayhaired, have a ponytail and a beard, like some freak mix of an elderly orangutan and a
hedgehog.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
Before closing transmissions from Sweden tonight, just one more note.
On Mums records, 1973 we get Albert Hammonds second album,
"The free Electric Band" a fantastic if a bit laid back record, Three
giant hits, titletrack ofcourse and The Peacemaker and Everything i want to do.

Simply very good, good recording too but, as was the time, acoustical instruments
larger than life due to very close microphone set ups.

Wont bother You untill tomorrow.

Ingvar

Offline Roux28

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
Actually! Whats with this guy? Concertos for viola and Orchestra!

So, back on the track, We are still in North America. actually we're in Cleveland, Ohio on
the night of November 22, 1974, its raining cats and dogs so we slip into "The smiling dog saloon"

From now on nothing will be the same, on stage are Three gentlemen in their mid sixties but it rocks
as if they had a 15 man rhythm section. We are, of course, listening to Hound Dog Taylor and the
Houserockers, The record, Beware of the dog was released some months after Hound Dog died,
Brawler, fighter,  womanizer, born with six fingers on each hand, this record will rock You to the end
of Your Days, go find it!

Ingvar

Love the musings and the music, much of which is new to me - but not this, completely irresistible as you pointed out:

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
The Swedish radio and TV, SR, public service, is together with BBC, the best there is, Music gets a lot of
Airtime, but not Justin Bieber or whatever, but of the main track Music.

Many Years ago, actually 39, Kjell Alinge, strange name, stupid Swede just like me, had a fabulous
midnight show every Thursday.

So this night in early 1975 he plays this record, threathens to, personally kill or at least beat up
anyone who doesn't by it.

Next morning i ran to Space Records and bought Horses, Patti Smith.
Playing Kimberly loud, i mean LOUD, is still as fun as back then. Produced by John Cale this
masterpiece must have a Place in all record shelves.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
While we're at it, the last records producer, John Cale.

Sent to the states on a stipendium as the most gifted Young violinist in England.

Lands in NY and meets Lou Reed. Ok, they change the entire rockscene and Music
history with Velvet Underground.

Coming back to his Little Island west of Sweden he becomes a major producer, but
also records a few own records, the second one, Slow Dassle, You need to have.

Some musicians on the record! Phil Manzanera, Brian Eno, Chris Spedding, etc.
Very good own songs, Dirtyass rock´n roll, Darling I need You,Rollaroll etc and
a Beautiful rendition (or maybe rape) of Heartbreak Hotel.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
England, 1983, Annabel Lamb release her first record, Once bitten. First edition amlh 68555 and a few weeks later
second edition  amlh 64969 where one track, red for danger is replaced by an incredible cover of Doors
Riders on the storm.

Both versions needed, this is good, also testing material, if amps and speakers kan survive it, here is some
serious lf abuse, real fun thou, and really good Music, go get!

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
Live Music is my reference, soundwise, but also what i like to listen to.

Cobo Hall, Detroit September 4:th and 5:th 1975.

The record kickstarts with a fabulous version of  Ike and Tina Turners Nutbush City Limits,
never been done better, one of the tightest band in rock history starts the record You all need,
Bob Seeger & The Silver Bullet Band, Live Bullet! Capitol records-skbb11523, get this one but
Before You play live levels, make sure the structural integrity of Your abode can take it.

Ingvar

Offline adie

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 11:35:41 PM »
Graham Parker- the angriest singer circa '76??? :BWAHAHAH:
I can think of any number of punk rockers and angst- ridden malcontents who would disagree.
Great stuff though.
Of course this is a personal opinion, not stated as a fact says the tongue from inside the cheek.

Still prefer Mr Lucky to The Healer.

Keep them coming.

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 02:32:36 AM »
Hi Ingvar,

Rather late, welcome from probably the oldest member of this here forum (retired electronics engineer). Telling the truth, I would rather be with you in Sweden somewhere right now - day temperatures here in Pretoria, SA, into the 30s (deg. C) and I just hate humidity. (Or rather, it hates me.)

Most interesting history from you. Not quite the same musical taste, but another Swede I honour, born in Stora Tuna about a century ago, one of the best tenors ever: Jussi Björling. The man had a unique voice. I read that when some twenty years ago a poll was held in the USA of who the most popular male singer of the century was (including all types of music), the vote to the surprise of many, fell on Björling and not one of the lighter singers.

Regards!

Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)