Author Topic: In the shade of my Stetson  (Read 18408 times)

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
In the shade of my Stetson
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
So, as I'm a quite lousy guitarplayer i didn't fit in the bands my friends started in the mid 70:s
My job was to build the speakers and the guitaramps, still do. But i do that only because Music
is one of the most important things in my Life, it started with Wine women and Music, since  I'm
married  for 25 years the women got changed to wife, which leaves a lot of time for the Music, wine
i compatible with all activities, this will be a long and Winding road through some of my favourite discs.

This maybee should be posted somewhere else but i don't want to bee seen  in the  Company of
CD/DVD and such stuff, if posted in the wrong Place, please,  moderators,  put this where it should
be.

I'm here to ramble on about records that are important to me, 99,678% will be on vinyl, some
You all know, some pretty obscure, You will see that there are a few hundred records that
 i Think are  "the best record ever made", it actually is, at that moment when You listen to
it.

Starting with one of the great producers, T-Bone Burnett, once member of Dylans  "Rolling
thunder revue", his record from 1986, named T-Bone Burnett, absolutely fabulous acoustic
rock´n roll, he did not produce himself, Billy Swan (I can Help) did! get this record and
play it loud, extremely well recorded and an upright bass that is astonishing.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: In the shade of my Stetson
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
I can immediately see your input is going to be held in high regard Sir.
I look forward with much interest to your passionate posts.
Just got a TT on loan after 23 year absents and it is a truly wonderful feeling to gently drop the needle to the vinyl and let the music caress the auditory senses.
Post some more, and then post again kind Sir!
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »
Thank You, honestly I'm feel a bit embarrassed by the welcomes I've received on this forum,
the tone of speech here is heartwarming, I'm Active on many foras around the cyberworld
but this must be the nicest Place i ever stumbled into, thank You Stu! For making me look this Place
up and for making the day up here in the vicinity of the Northpole a lot better with Your mails!

So second out in this never ending thread, One of those one hit wonders, or at least only one record made, Fairground
Attraction, RCA 1988, First in a million kisses. One track, Perfect got to be a radio hit in northern Europe. The singer, Eddi Reader has a
voice made in heaven, or maybe in a very good pub somewhere, Simon Edwards plays Guitaro´n, (mexican
acoustic bassguitar) Mark Nevin who wrote  the Music plays guitar and Roy Dodds hammers away on tiny drumsets
just as if it was on some fairground in east Essex, a nice summers day. Incredibly good record, extremely well recorded,
quite easy to find in second hand stores here, if You stumble over it, bring it home.

Ingvar (troublesome when You fail to spell Your own name?=
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:09:54 PM by Ingvar Ahlberg »

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Keep them coming, from your first two choices I can see I'm going to enjoy this never-ending list of favourites. :2thumbs:
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline ghostinthemachine

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »
So second out in this never ending thread, One of those one hit wonders, or at least only one record made, Fairground
Attraction, RCA 1988, First in a million kisses. One track, Perfect got to be a radio hit in northern Europe. The singer, Eddi Reader has a
voice made in heaven, or maybe in a very good pub somewhere, Simon Edwards plays Guitaro´n, (mexican
acoustic bassguitar) Mark Nevin who wrote  the Music plays guitar and Roy Dodds hammers away on tiny drumsets
just as if it was on some fairground in east Essex, a nice summers day. Incredibly good record, extremely well recorded,
quite easy to find in second hand stores here, if You stumble over it, bring it home.

Yes! Now you are talking. I have the CD and it is a great listen.  :2thumbs:
Inactive

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »
All Right!

We put our Sendra boots firmly down in the American soil, no Nashville listcountry, the real thing,
Merle Haggard, Serving 190 proof, MCA records 1979. most songs Hag´s own this record is
built on the spine of Country, Telecasters, Male sef-pity and alcohol-romantics, fabulous recording.
many of the Worlds best studio men and musicians dwell here.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
So, 3 centrigrades above zero, a strong western gale here in Kungsbacka, we stay in North America, we'll travel up to
Toronto thou, probably even lousier weather, may-june 1979. Bruce Cockburn records Dancing in the dragons jaw, soundwise
still a masterpiece but it is the Music that lasts, this guy has an attitude too, and a large heart, i like that.

Ingvar

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
Fairground Attraction - perfect received a lot of Airtime here as well! Have always liked this song and still remember buying it just after I heard it for the first time on my car radio at the time. Seems it topped #1 here in 1988 on the Springbok radio Hit Parade.

FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION (UK)
20 Aug 88 1   24 PERFECT (1) (80)
Total songs: 1 Total weeks: 24

http://www.rock.co.za/files/springbok_top_20_(F).html

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Tom

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+59)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
Bruce Cockburn records Dancing in the dragons jaw, soundwise
still a masterpiece but it is the Music that lasts, this guy has an attitude too, and a large heart, i like that.

Ingvar

thank you for this one kind sir, Bruce Cockburn was not a muso that I was familiar with, but after a few youtube videos I must admit, nice clean sound and lots of attitude...
Going to enjoy this thread -  :2thumbs:
Kindest
Digital Media Conversions - Preserving Memories

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »
Good Music is universal!

So, bear with me now as i stray on an entirely different path.
The two (IMO) best concertos for viola and Orchestra, Mendelssohn only and Max Bruchs first,
on the same record, with the greatest viola player of all times, Yehudi Menuhin, recorded 1958.

This is not rock n roll but a large glass of cape red and this record works really ok,.

The incredible soundquality on this record might be due to the good microphones used, good
technicians or maybee just in the hands of the soloist.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
Actually! Whats with this guy? Concertos for viola and Orchestra!

So, back on the track, We are still in North America. actually we're in Cleveland, Ohio on
the night of November 22, 1974, its raining cats and dogs so we slip into "The smiling dog saloon"

From now on nothing will be the same, on stage are Three gentlemen in their mid sixties but it rocks
as if they had a 15 man rhythm section. We are, of course, listening to Hound Dog Taylor and the
Houserockers, The record, Beware of the dog was released some months after Hound Dog died,
Brawler, fighter,  womanizer, born with six fingers on each hand, this record will rock You to the end
of Your Days, go find it!

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
While we're at it, maybe some thoughts about a record from 1989, The Healer, probably the only record John Lee Hooker
made some decent Money from, produced by Roy Rogers and executed with JLH in collaboration with Carlos Santana,
Bonnie Raitt, Los Lobos, George Thorogood etc, magic record, magic JLH energy and sound.

Ingvar

Offline Capetowntracks

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
Toronto thou, probably even lousier weather, may-june 1979. Bruce Cockburn records Dancing in the dragons jaw, soundwise

Ingvar
I concur. On the recommendation of Andrew McKenzie at The Record Centre (ex Church Street, then Golden Acre) bought Dancing in the Dragon's Jaw and a set of Sennheisers for my brother-in-law on his 21st back in 1981. Kept trying to get it from him...

I did get Cockburn's Christmas CD a couple of years back - definitely not one for the Boney M fans.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
If we leave America for a Little while, visit a small Island west of Sweden called England, 1975 Pye records release
Kilburn and the High roads, Handsome, band changed its name to Ian Dury and the Blockheads in 1976-77 somewhere.

This is a fantastic record with what was later called pub-rock but with extreme recording qualities, and, here we find
Davey Payne, maybe the best saxophone player in rock n roll history, in "crippled with nerves" You can feel his lungs
coming out the mouth of the horn. All songs really good, some ridiculous lyrics, but it rocks, and rolls.

Ingvar

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »
Ah, you are singing my tune now. Ian Dury, the best lyricist born into rock'n'roll.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis