Author Topic: Stupid old man with a few good ideas.  (Read 43700 times)

Offline DeonC

Re: Stupid old man with a few good ideas.
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
AFAIK the only disadvantage of aperiodic as compared to sealed is that aperiodic rolls off at 18dB/octave below Fs, whereas sealed rolls off at 12dB/octave. However I still think it is better. From what I have read, aperiodic gives some of the best rise-time (or is that transient response? I cannot remember) measurements of just about any alignment.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
AFAIK the only disadvantage of aperiodic as compared to sealed is that aperiodic rolls off at 18dB/octave below Fs, whereas sealed rolls off at 12dB/octave. However I still think it is better. From what I have read, aperiodic gives some of the best rise-time (or is that transient response? I cannot remember) measurements of just about any alignment.

That is all down to the HF behaviour of the woofer. Once filtered, the LP filter function will determine that.

Offline DRNB

« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
That is all down to the HF behaviour of the woofer. Once filtered, the LP filter function will determine that.

Martin, I think DeonC refers to the HP function of the driver box combo, and not the LP filter on the x-over side. I've had it that a sealed box is a 1st order alignment though  :thinking:
But I'm rusted with this, so will have to check again.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline DeonC

« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »
Martin, I think DeonC refers to the HP function of the driver box combo, and not the LP filter on the x-over side. I've had it that a sealed box is a 1st order alignment though  :thinking:
But I'm rusted with this, so will have to check again.

Yes, my apologies. :facepalm:

A sealed is a 1st-order (and vented I think is 2nd-order?). Aperiodic is somewhere between them. It rolls off faster in the bass than a sealed alignment, but not as fast as a vented alignment.

For an interesting article about a variation, read this:

North Creek Music's new MAPD (Multichamber Aperiodic Progressive Damping) driver loading
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
an order is 6dB/oct so sealed classically is 2nd order, vented 4th order and so on. Electronicaly assisted alignments are sometimes given one aditional order nominally, like a EBS vented would be called 5th order.

Offline DeonC

« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
an order is 6dB/oct so sealed classically is 2nd order, vented 4th order and so on. Electronicaly assisted alignments are sometimes given one additional order nominally, like a EBS vented would be called 5th order.

That is what I meant. An aperiodic has a 3rd-order roll-off (half-way between sealed and vented).

So I was correct saying 18dB/octave, IOW, 3rd-order roll-off. :boring:

Offline DeonC

« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
Hm, nice, but the Little 4" Faital actually has a Little sister, the 3FE30, what to do?

What, a rear loaded horn for a 3" driver, ridiculous, he cant do that!

Unfortunately, seems he can.

Ingvar

Ingvar, will the FaitalPro 3FE22 also work in the Hilding horn?

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #217 on: August 05, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
Yes, the 3FE22 is the same driver but with a better mechanical design much easier to mount.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline xumbug

« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
Wow, this thread has had 42K views. Pretty neat hey Ingvar :thumbs:
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Because of a brilliant mind at work.
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
Because of a brilliant mind at work.

Anyone intersted in explaining this to my wife?

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline xumbug

« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »
Anyone intersted in explaining this to my wife?

Ingvar

:giggle:
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.