Who makes the most unreliable cars?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingenieus

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
With reliable, I mean after 200 000 km. So none of your I have had five Gumball Specials, all bought new and kept for three years, that never gave any trouble stories. This graphic shows the number of cars traded in with more than 180 000 miles (about 300 000 km) against the number of new cars sold :

TIQI-over180k.png

The data is from the States, so there may be some marques that are unknown to you. OTOH, there are some very famous names that fare very poorly.

Some more background:

<SNIP>
For starters, major VW brands in the USA (Audi and VW) have garnered the 2nd and 3rd lowest ratios for those vehicles that have made it to the 18 year mark. Click here for the results of 300,000+ vehicles currently logged in this study.

Volkswagen also has the lowest percentage of trade-ins with over 180k out of any major automaker in the study as well.

Who is worse out of 30+ brands? Only Jaguar and Mini are worse overall. Land Rover is roughly equal.

Finally, let me offer you an alternative shortcut if you don?t want to believe the data. Feel free to visit car-part.com and see how much it cost to replace various VW engines and transmissions. Call your neighborhood parts store and see how much more it cost to replace the hoses, alternators, and starters on a VW versus say, a Chevy or Toyota.

Hell, I recently bought a 2003 Volkswagen Passat W8 with no issues for only $100 more than a stripper 2005 Ford Taurus with the same mileage that functioned as a rental car special, and had vinyl falling off the front door panels.

How did VW?s get to be so cheap in the wholesale side of the car business?

Because for most of the last 15 years, VW has cheaped out on quality parts like a broke Chinese construction company cheaps out on quality concrete. The mothership may blame Inaki Lopez and his minions for that turn in quality. But the truth? The absolute truth?

VW doesn?t care. They have screwed their consumer base for the sole pursuit of short-term profits here in North America for a very long time and are finally, by the grace of God, paying for those sins. Their cheaped out latest offerings in the United States continue to do them no favors, and I?m willing to bet that the ?We?re #1 at over 100k!? remark will not resonate in a marketplace where 200k has already become yesterday?s 100k.
<SNIP>
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/hammer-time-fharverg-nuttin/

BTW, Acura is to Honda what Lexus is to Toyota and Infiniti is to Nissan. Just in case somebody doesn't know.