Amplifier for Bang & Olufsen Type M Passive loudspeakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markwell

Reaction score
Morning

Id like to please reach out to this forum to tap into some of the knowledge present here.
I am a complete newbie, and if I can receive any advise I would be very thankful.
I'm not sure if there is any necessary introductory protocols......

I have often referenced this site out of interest, and now actually have a question I need an answer to.
I don't seem to be able to find an answer through the regular searching routes.

I have a pair of Ban & Olufsen speakers.
I was given them years ago by my grans friend. I loved the way they looked and had heard of the Brand "BnO" (I was about 16 years old)
All I have established is that I think they are Type M Passive loudspeakers,
The one is larger than the other,
One is designed to be positioned horizontally and the other vertically.

I initially connected them up to my amplifier (an old Sansui hand me down)
The amp over time gave up, I figured it was just old, but have been informed that it probably over heated due to the resistance from the speakers.

I have held onto the speakers since then, I'm now 28, and would love to get them back into action.

So my question is, I'd like to get an amplifier to drive these. Please advise what I should be looking for with regards to Brands/power etc.

Id like to get something of a similar era and create a beautiful system.
I've been looking at Marantz 1030, Luxman L30 and Quad 33 preamp, 303 power amp as options.
Am I on the right path or am I in the wrong direction?

My intentions are for this to be a small set up with great sound, built around the speakers.
In future I will probably build another larger set for bigger sound.

Id like to be able to play LP's/radio as well as more modern sources such as CD's and MP3's via an iPod if possible.

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Regards

Ross