Author Topic: Closing of popular Threads without Explanation  (Read 745 times)

Offline Ampdog

Closing of popular Threads without Explanation
« on: January 27, 2014, 04:42:37 AM »
I am referring to closure of the thread under 'General' titled: 'A brief Guide to Audio for the sceptical Consumer'

Statistics will indicate that this was one of the most popular and properly and well-discussed theads in months - yet it was closed because, lacking further information, one Admin got tired of doing his job of removing a 'crud' or two, as the term goes.

I have been a moderator for several years, after having been honoroury granted this priviledge since joining. The rules were mostly clear, and where there was dispute it was always solved confidentially within the moderation group.

The above move generates confusion. It was simply closed (or so it appears in absence of explanation), where the simple and accepted practice (in fact excercised there shortly before) of removing an objectionable (according to rules) post or tendency would have solved whatever appeared to be the problem. (I can recall where sets of 10 or more posts have been previously removed in order to 'clean-up' an otherwise worthwhile thread, allowing it to survive to everybody's advantage.)

Why not this time? As said, there could hardly be any doubt as to the informative nature, and mostly respectful contributions.

As it stands now (and for which I have received a host of PMs from some still thinking I am a moderator), it cannot but seem as a will-full act  and protective move/damage control, sadly also particulaly in the interest of Mr Winer.

This suspicion is not deserved by Mr Winer, whom I also know as a friend through private posting.
 Whatever he is rumoured to have 'sinned' outside this forum is not the affair of this forum and personal remarks to that effect is out of order, as has in fact been acted against correctly by moderators.

But (and to repeat, as it stands and without having been party to moderator internal discussion) it appears that an Admin has shut it down because he appeared tired of doing his job. (Equally, as above, that suspicion is subsequently also not deserved by said Admin).

I would strongly suggest that the Admin/Moderator board owes the forum members an explanation of this particular action, as well as an exposition of such policy, as there is definitely a change here since I left. We deserve that, Mr Winer's reputation deserves that, as does that of the respective acting Admin. 
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Closing of popular Threads without Explanation
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:09:37 AM »
The thread was shut because other than disparaging remarks no other contributions were being made. I'll reopen it and look forward to further discussion of the topic on hand. Let's see what further contributions are made...
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:12:45 AM »
Thanks Audiomuze!

I have just received PM'd explanation of the matter, which I highly appreciate so soon (this time of day!).

It was Audiomuze's thread to do with as he pleased; let us hope some further use can come of it, in absence of trolling and irrelevant posts.

To me there appeared further matters to be resolved (I mean regarding the thread subject!) - if not, I support the OP's decision to lock. One is getting bored by the inability of some to contribute anything of meaning on this forum in general ....

Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Man alive. Been a member here for a while but there are some topics that are always going to go around the hairpin bend a few times:

• Cable anything
  • CD versus Vinyl
  • Valve versus Transistors
  • DAC's/Amplifiers sound different
  • Subjectivist versus Objectives
  • etc...

So, if you start one of these topics then there are going to be  :flame:  and  :envy: and  :banned: and  :boxing: and a fair share of  :boring:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: