Chord does digital right

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenithon

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so maybe that is quite a subjective statement having not heard this product....but this on the back of some questionable (read expensive) forays into digital by Meridian in terms of cost relative to included technology, specifically for computer based and/or headphone listening.

But this one has my attention - maybe because I have lusted after chord for so many years. Meet the Hugo; a new DAC / HP amp being introduced at CES. It is dubbed the "world?s first reference-class portable DAC/headphone amp". Though, I am not sure I would use it in a portable rig, it would look quite fitting and discrete at home in a HP rig.

Chord_Hugo_c.jpg

It uses solely digital inputs; features advanced 384kHz PCM and DSD 128 playback for high-resolution DXD files. Includes a dedicated input for modern devices (iPhone, iPad et al) and one asynchronous high-definition USB port for 32/384kHz and DSD128 formats.

DSC00612.jpg

In Chord style it is machined from aircraft-grade aluminium. Not sure about power output rating; the headphone output is rated as "110dB SPL into a 300-ohm headphone load". Initial listening by some people over at Head-Fi say it drives the likes of the HD800 (bitch of a can to amp) with aplomb.

DSC00623.jpg

Yes - it may be expensive - around GBP 1200 - but has the technology and build to back that price up.

Latest posts