Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276528 times)

Offline bbe22

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1410 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
Hi Michon

where you actually listen in the same space, to the same music at the same level whilst changing a single component

this Chris and Jason did  for us -  thanks guys  -      ..... only changed the speakers    ............... and then one one set of speakers,  listened to  three amps.............. 

The Unsquares here were the the (original)  larger set , done before the ones (Unsquare mini) you listened to in JHB. They started as a 2 way now upgraded to a 3 way....
(  build thread to folllow soon )

mini set got a dedicated stand  in the mean time ( adding a bass tucked away in the back , making it a 3 way if you want , external Xover)

3D printed tweeter pod

and this shot  - in almost done condition (mid flange also 3d printed)

mid nude not pretty , needs a flange

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:07:25 PM by bbe22 »

Offline Michon

« Reply #1411 on: August 12, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »
The Unsquares are so impressive. Thank you for sharing the photos and congratulations on the achievements of this design.

What was the result of the amplifier comparison? Was this level matched and done with the same music too?

...his blue boxes ... Stefans 2.1 way column speaker

What are the blue boxes and where can we see Stefan's column speaker?

Are these Jozua's ribbons?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:57:54 PM by Michon »
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #1412 on: August 13, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
Yes, they are.  We considered them to be very close to the Unsquiares
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1413 on: August 13, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »
My thoughts about some of the speakers on demo:

The Club's reference Rogers LS3(?) and the 3-way Unsquares were to my ears the most neutral. These two speakers, for me, reproduced Norah Jones' Don't Know Why the best and in - my opinion - the most accurately. The Unsquares produced very low bass, but otherwise did not draw attention to itself.

To me, on the day, The Blues were the better all-round speaker. I was surprised that The Blues' tweeter sounded particularly sparkly, in a pleasant way. That, of course, doesn't make it the best speaker. But, subjectively, that's what I heard.

Jozua's ribbons had hands-down the best treble. Sound from the ribbons was effortless and airy. And the bass was also pleasant. It is in the handover between the drivers that they lack. I suspect that some crossover re-thinking will go some way to fixing that.

We didn't hear tracks that challenged the lower extremes of the speakers, so most of them did OK here, besides some that to me had a bit of resonance (looseness, wooliness) at the lower end.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline bbe22

« Reply #1414 on: August 13, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
to recap for Michon    the Blues   presented previously

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,65178.msg793584.html#msg793584

only made the trip because I wanted to hear them in the same sitting as the rest , did not have time for that at home, before the event , and they happen to fit in my car with the other set and stands  :)  ..............

I believe Josha's ribbons are from Newform Research and then 2 x 5 inch Vifa drivers in a sealed cab

Offline Wolla

« Reply #1415 on: August 13, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »
My thoughts about some of the speakers on demo:

The Club's reference Rogers LS3(?) and the 3-way Unsquares were to my ears the most neutral. These two speakers, for me, reproduced Norah Jones' Don't Know Why the best and in - my opinion - the most accurately. The Unsquares produced very low bass, but otherwise did not draw attention to itself.

For clarification, the club's reference speakers are: Rogers LS4a/2. They are larger than the famous LS3, but also a 2-way monitor.
Main/PC: FLAC > Zotac ZBox Nano Windows 10 PC > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 monos > Piega Premium 5
Cables: Zu Audio - Mission,
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, DIY OB Boombox

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1416 on: August 13, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
For clarification, the club's reference speakers are: Rogers LS4a/2. They are larger than the famous LS3, but also a 2-way monitor.

Thanks for the correction.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline ron g

« Reply #1417 on: August 13, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »

those unsquares in jhb are what started me down the dap rabbithole.
after hearing the difference between the dap that was driving them (fiio x? iirc) & my cellphone sound (sony z5iirc) i appreciated just how bad the sony sounded.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1418 on: August 18, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
What the club does in its spare time  :)

Jason has built a 4 channel amplifier in which the frequency profile of each amp can be adjusted on the fly and wirelessly from a script.   We were playing with it this afternoon and its capabilities were amazing.  In all likelyhood this will be the subject of the meeting we have planned for October

The black device on the left is a Xonar DAC

Offline Spurge

« Reply #1419 on: August 19, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »
Would b interesting to hear what the 4 channels can disclose when compared.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1420 on: August 19, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
Its more of an active crossover.  Jason is always putting together these projects.  The aim is to have a system using multiple speakers, each driven by its own amplifier and each speaker to be tailored by a computer to achieve the optimum result.

This was a prototype, to see if the concept would operate, and it did.  At the moment it is command-line driven, but the aim is to have 16 channels, each of which can be adjusted on the fly

We are planning to have it operational for the November meeting, but will let you know

Offline Louisek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Listen to many, speak to a few
« Reply #1421 on: August 22, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
The Xonar DAC you used - this is an inexpensive device - below £90 is it not?   I have one about 5 years old in my apartment in Amsterdam and was astonished at the clarity.  Not as sweet and inspiring as a Devialet, but all the detail is there

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - meeting 12th September 2018
« Reply #1422 on: August 25, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:54:15 AM by chrisc »

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1423 on: August 25, 2018, 08:56:07 AM »
The Xonar DAC you used - this is an inexpensive device - below £90 is it not?   I have one about 5 years old in my apartment in Amsterdam and was astonished at the clarity.  Not as sweet and inspiring as a Devialet, but all the detail is there

The Xonar DAC goes for about R1300 here.   It has lots of facilities, the design appears to be about 5 years old.  It will handle up to 24bit 192KHz but not DSD

I thought you lived in France?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - Vinyl Faire today
« Reply #1424 on: September 02, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
A rainy start to the day meant (we think) that the LP collectors arrived early.  By 9.45 we had sold out of donuts and had to buy extra supplies and wors for the boerewors rolls, which we sold all 30 by 12.15

Thanks to Ernesto who also advertised the event on Facebook, the turnout was the highest ever, with over 350 people passing through the doors.  Many dealers took several thousand Rand in sales.  We spotted a visitor leaving with crate of LPs.  He said he had come to refurbish his vinyl collection and brought R10 000 to spend, and spent it all

Please come back again sir

We have asked the Cricket Club if we can hire it again on 2nd December