Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 226495 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1350 on: February 09, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #1351 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
The TT playing PIL’s ‘The Flowers of Romance’ is the Sanyo, the wood-look one is a Lenco L90 and someone was presumably buying the classic ‘Headhunters’ by Herbie Hancock
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1352 on: February 14, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
See the audiophile and beginner-audiophile guys and girls tonight - 8.00 at the NGK Plumstead

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1353 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »
Thanks for the Valentines Hi-fi Club meeting. The eg of the more compressed recording as illustrated in the Quincy Jones court case was clear to hear. Well illustrated. Thanks.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Meeting - Saturday 17th March
« Reply #1354 on: February 28, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »

If you are not on the club's mailing list, you can send an email to: capetownhificlub@gmail.com and we'll include you.  You don't need to live in Cape Town!

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1355 on: March 12, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
The meeting at Lance Dixon's house has been postponed one week, to Saturday 24th March, also from 1.30pm

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1356 on: March 15, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
April meeting advance notice

We will be giving some serious listening to:

SOtM SMS200 streamer
ZOTL40-MK-II amplifier
UBIQ Audio Model 1 speakers
LampizatOr Golden Gate DAC

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1357 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
Guys, I was so looking forward to joining you at Lance's. It's been many years since I'd seen him last. Sadly, I have to work. I know you chaps will enjoy it.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1358 on: March 24, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »
What you WON'T be seeing or listening to if you come to the Cape Town Hi-Fi Club's meeting this afternoon.

I can guarantee it

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1359 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
An amazing afternoon at Lance Dixon's home in Capri Village (close to Fish Hoek).  A good crowd of enthusiastic people were introduced to the "Revolve" turntable, fitted with a Graham arm and van den Hull cartridge.  Expensive stuff to be sure, the turntable sells for R350k, the arm for a further R100k and the cartridge yet a further R100k

But what definition and accuracy!  We heard music and sounds from recordings that had not been heard before.  Words cannot satisfactorily express the nuance of sound we heard, except to say it was quite stunning

Lance's home is on the side of a mountain and thus has a marvellous view over Noordhoek.

The club would like to sincerely thank Lance for his hospitality and introducing us to a fine array of products

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1360 on: March 25, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
The Hi-Fi Club's listening panel concentrate on aspects of the music

During this period, we were listening to Dire Straits "Private Investigations", always an essential recording for serious evaluation.  Many of us there present can say this is the best reproduction of this song heard

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1361 on: March 25, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
Thanks for the invite and for the show. Was really good and love the setup!!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:56:16 PM by Gerlach »
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #1362 on: March 26, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
Fantastic,all Home Brew set-up,with a highly impressive tt there Lance!   :notworthy:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Lance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #1363 on: March 28, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
Hi Guys and Gals, you have finally got me onto the forum! 

I would like to thank Chris, Jozua and the Hi-Hi club for honoring me with the visit, I really enjoyed having you around for a listen to the turntable etc., it was a pleasant afternoon, good (slightly rainy)weather, good company, and good music!

Thank you all for the feedback and enthusiastic comments.

This project, as many of you have realized, has been and continues to be an absolute delight. The latest of which was listening to it with the Graham/VDH at the sharp end (kindly lent to me by Francois). This has elevated the quality of sound to the level that I initially dreamed of when the project began.

If anyone who missed the session would like to come over for a listen, please feel free to give me a call, you are all welcome.

Enjoy your music!

Lance.

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • valveaudio@absamail.co.za
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #1364 on: March 28, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »
Well helloooo Lance, have we met before? :thinking: Oh YES, Simonstown at that lovely dockside restaurant, and Blouberg Hotel and.. at your house of course, and at your factory down in Lekkerwater Road, Kommetjie. Welcome to AV Forums, at last!

I've just been thinking about the roaring welcome you have received since this morning. And the healthy debate/feedback by two individuals who out of a pretty crowd (judging by the photos) seems to accentuate the SLAAPSTAD part of the Cape Town area in General. Of course the comments by two individuals who could not make it are taken into account as a bit of a redeeming effort.

Ah well, to us unfortunate ones elsewhere who could not be there, let me break the ice from us "elsewhere". Well done Boet, you have researched, calculated, traced the best materials, machined and split your nails. Really learned how to swear in intergalactic terms, picked up the pieces after countless dissapointments and forged ahead. Guys, this took a while, really. We all need to be extremely proud of what Lance has managed to do here.

Thank you Chris, for putting together this visit and for your enthusiasm in supporting Lance. I know Gerlach was there too because he also chimed in with a report. And then of course the ever elusive but precious one who cannot be named on this forum was there too, with a glowing report back to me. Many thanks oh Nameless One  :2thumbs: I respect your accurate feedback.

Now guys, anyone else with a view of your own about this achievement by Lance? We all "up here" and elsewhere would love to hear more..