Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 304856 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - Saturday away event, 23rd September
« Reply #1275 on: September 17, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline adie

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1276 on: September 17, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
Be sure to pop into Charles Withington's shop just down from the brewery. He stocks all the local wines and his Voorkamer brandy is tops in my book (and I'm not a brandy drinker- or wasn't...).

Offline bbe22

« Reply #1277 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »
Brewery now in  the industrial area 5 min away - but there is a nice cheese shop in the smaller premises now, and the famous Darling butchery in the next block down, all in the main road.

Offline adie

« Reply #1278 on: September 17, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
 :dop: indeed- and thanks for the update. Been a year or three...
I do enjoy the Darling wines.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1279 on: September 18, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »
Looking forward to the cheese shop too.  These small country towns have the most attractive local produce.  It is the same in Montagu, where I go often.  An excellent new cheese shop with amazing flavours in their range of cheeses

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1280 on: September 23, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
A marvellous spring day saw us at Brian Bester's lovely home (with 4 friendly dogs) in Darling.  Brian went over the methodology used in measuring speaker characteristics and the way crossover components can be chosen, relative to the combination of speakers used in an enclosure.  We then went down to his listening room and spent an hour or so listening to the two pairs of speakers you can see in pictures 9, 10 and 11 below.

After this, we all went to the Darling Brewery restaurant, amazingly busy (but it is of course a long-weekend) and had a beer tasting (14 varities of beer served in 0,1 litre glasses) followed by some very good value and well-presented food.  Due to the place being busy, we only got our food at 2.45 and by the end, were not in a condition except to relax a bit

Thanks to Brian, a really interesting day

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #1281 on: September 24, 2017, 11:53:44 PM »
THIS IS IMMORAL!!

I will seriously call a meeting of the Moderation Team!  Ruthlessly splashing a good day in Darling, in total disregard of a fellow Bolander 'stranded' here on the wrong side of the boerewors curtain.  :boxing:

Seriously, hope you guys enjoyed an outing away from Table Hill. Kudos to all!
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1282 on: September 26, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
It was lekker.  Plus, the DB is changing their beer bottles from 500ml to 350ml and were selling their 500ml bottles for R12,00 a pop, so I bought 8.  They have 16 different varieties of beer, ranging through a Weiss, Pale Ale to Dark Beer (a bit like Guinness).  I just came from Ultra in Wynberg, they only sell 2 type of DB beer, I suggested to the man that they explore increasing the range

Offline bbe22

« Reply #1283 on: September 26, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Good people , nice company,  thanks to all who made the trip ....... Ampdog you would have been right at home
beers here      https://www.darlingbrew.co.za/beers.html        I am partial to the darker black mist and silver back,  but they have  good variety

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1284 on: October 02, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1285 on: October 03, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
I will seriously call a meeting of the Moderation Team!  Ruthlessly splashing a good day in Darling, in total disregard of a fellow Bolander 'stranded' here on the wrong side of the boerewors curtain.  :boxing:

Oom Amp, here's a little consolation prize for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5g80pX4HkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2thZNzkUA

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - Next Vinyl Faire
« Reply #1286 on: October 07, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1287 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:51 AM »
Our Capacitor review meeting was instructive.   Jozua presented an illustrated explanation of the various types of capacitors available and discussed their effect on loudspeaker performance.  The presentation file is available from this link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By22-wi-jaVZQXR6ZW5OYi03N2c/view?usp=sharing

After this we listened to various music tracks, swopping the crossover capacitors from an inexpensive set to the most expensive set.  Each time there was a difference in the sound, most often apparent in the impact and cleanliness of the music

After tea we listened to a series of recordings using Brian Bester's speakers, the drivers of which we are considering building into a set of speakers for club use

Offline christowp

« Reply #1288 on: October 12, 2017, 11:22:05 AM »
Informative and interesting talk well illustrated with pictures / real components and backed by actual listening evidence

Thanks Jozua

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #1289 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:35 AM »
Thanks Shonver!

(No sea, no beer shown --- oh well .......)

Some news I would have whispered quietly in Mr Bester's ear: 40 years ago places one in 1977 .... By that time the Swedish firm Brühl and Kjaer had everything sophistidated enough to measure and draw those graphs. Was used by the CSIR to model the later Aula Tukkies Auditorium. He seems to have some sophisticated measuring stuff at his disposal though!  It was also a long time since I have seen a trapezium form bass enclosure. Used a lot by the SABC in the fifties.

[And depending on the name of Mr Bester's farm, I probably helped calculating the season's wheat crop yield in the 50's - probably his fathers farm then! The name Diemerskraal comes to mind, but rather a long time ago ....   
(We students augmented the Corporation's staff during the season height to help calculating the crop money and getting the farmers paid.]
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)