Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276176 times)

Offline christowp

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1260 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
Chris
Thanks for setting up the evening and for the concise yet detailed report. Some interesting new information and new learning for me last night. I now understand why the NS 10's are found in almost every studio. Listening to recordings in the control room was really interesting when he switched between monitors. Also to know that the engineer / producer is able to influence space and positioning of instruments in the final mix was revealing to me (maybe not so to many others). Most recordings are done on separate tracks with the musicians in separate booths but the final mix puts them together musically and spatially so when we listen it seems like they are in one room and maybe ib different places on / in the soundstage.   

Anyway the lasting impression is that good recordings and productions cost money - so different levels of recording quality exist something we all experience. Lastly the engineer and producer can insert subjective influence on the final mix as there no real industry standards and flat response, does it exist?   

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1261 on: August 03, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »
Lastly the engineer and producer can insert subjective influence on the final mix as there no real industry standards and flat response, does it exist?   

So, not really info that audiophiles care to hear about?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online pwatts

« Reply #1262 on: August 03, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
Did anyone complain about the recordings being 48kHz only? Perhaps that should help confirm that the whole 96/192k thing is mostly BS and that HD recordings sound better because of the higher bit depth, not the higher sample rate.

Offline adie

« Reply #1263 on: August 03, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
"Sounds" like an interesting evening, even though the other Capetonians (not Shonver at any rate) aren't raving about it. Well done Chris!

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #1264 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
Also to know that the engineer / producer is able to influence space and positioning of instruments in the final mix was revealing to me (maybe not so to many others). Most recordings are done on separate tracks with the musicians in separate booths but the final mix puts them together musically and spatially so when we listen it seems like they are in one room and maybe ib different places on / in the soundstage.   

I have one recording where the American pastor and composer William Smith had this done, even to the point where some his artists were not even in the same country! The LP sounds quite acceptable, but ambience appears to be somewhat 'funny', or knowing how the recording was made, subject to expectation bias.

SO:

It is well known that a large part of the stereo effect of a concert hall performance depends not merely on instrument position but on the ambience of the locale where the 'orchestra' plays. With this type of segregated recording, what happens to that? How does the 'conductor' then proportion the instruments to do justice, as he sees it, to what the composer wanted?

Does the mixing engineer now become the 'conductor'? What is his musical training? I am not familiar with what role this ambience plays in say rock concerts, but I can certainly not picture popular classics or classics yielding a satisfactory result under such 'segregated' conditions, being in reality the sum of twenty or so mono recordings.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline adie

« Reply #1265 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Does the mixing engineer now become the 'conductor'? What is his musical training? I am not familiar with what role this ambience plays in say rock concerts, but I can certainly not picture popular classics or classics yielding a satisfactory result under such 'segregated' conditions, being in reality the sum of twenty or so mono recordings.

Well, you also need to consider that the engineer, having placed those twenty or so mics, has set the levels of each mono channel- so has considerable influence. I worked with (well watched) one such engineer and I was mighty impressed with his skills. Massively expensive desk and latest amps with independent ip addresses etc etc.
Shame. It was an outdoor orchestral event and the wind picked up after the orchestra began in perfectly still conditions. You could hear it whistling down them microphones.

Offline christowp

« Reply #1266 on: August 04, 2017, 12:15:34 AM »
Choirs and small classical units doing strings as part of other songs or small orchestras are recorded in the larger central room. The engineer indicated that they use a stereo pair of mikes in the front and do in fact attempt to "include" some of the room signature in the recording and the mix. He also indicated that they do have mikes all round the room and close to instrument cluster for monitoring purposes but that the main recorded materials will come via the stereo pair. 

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #1267 on: August 04, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
The only time you are going to hear "natural" recordings where no more than 2 or 3 microphones were used is in the Mercury recordings made between 1958 and 1962.  Example below.  However, Murray did play us the take from two microphones above the musicians at the front of the studio, and to me they sounded quite natural

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re:Home visit to an audiophile in the country
« Reply #1268 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
A most interesting visit at an Audiophile in Stellenbosch on Women's Day 2017.  We were treated to an array of beautiful equipment that would not look out of place in a dealer's showroom, apart from a home in Stellenbosch.

Thanks to our host for a welcome day out, to listen to a better-than-average system, with a beautiful Predator integrated amplifier (made in South Africa) which drove the speakers effortlessly (see last picture)

We even discovered a box of audio cassettes, snug in their box

Offline christowp

« Reply #1269 on: August 11, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
Thanks for hosting Christopher. I really enjoyed the clean open sound of the main system and thought there was good synergy between the Apogees and the Predator. The Theta transport / dac combination sound pretty good as well. I would prefer a bit more bass - but that is personal taste.   

Enjoy

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Vinyl Faire - 3rd September 2017
« Reply #1270 on: August 20, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »

This event is only two weeks away

We would like to add a few extra features

The Venue is Child-Friendly and dog friendly.  There is a large cricket field right outside the clubhouse which will not be in use for most of the event

New refreshments on sale (apart from the CTCC's bar) will be boerewors rolls with onion rings and a choice of sauces for R25,00, tea, coffee and a doughnut for R10,00.

A special note for dealers only:

There is limited parking within the car-park at the Cape Town Cricket Club.  Please in future enter via the Tennis Club, which is immediately adjacent to the CTCC clubhouse on the left.  There is a large empty area where you can park and walking through the passage linking the two areas, it is actually closer to transport your record stacks to the clubhouse

Please do not park in the CTCC parking area, leave this for visitors

We received several complaints about the lack of parking and some people just drove off instead of parking in the street

Look forward to an enjoyable day

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - September 2017 meetings
« Reply #1271 on: August 28, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

Want to get on the mailing list?  Send an email to capetownhificlub@gmail.com or WhatsApp to 0742392087

Follow us on our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/CapeTownHiFi/

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1272 on: August 29, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »
Non-members wishing to join us for this outing can write an email to capetownhificlub@gmail.com

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1273 on: September 03, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
Despite there now being a Vinyl Faire once a month in Cape Town, today's event on a hot Sunday morning was a resounding success.  Our Facebook page recorded the highest ever response rate for "likes" and "coming" and the people coming through the door certainly proved it

We are now able to use the Tennis Club parking immediately adjacent to the Cape Town Cricket club and by 1.00, there were a further 30 cars parked there

A first for us this session was a LP record cleaning machine brought along by Rouan Bester.  This consists of a tank of distilled water to which has been added a surfacant and small quantity of detergent.  The water in the container is agitated at 8000Hz, thereby allowing the water to penetrate the grooves and literally shake out the dirt and debris.  The records are mounted on a spindle, with separators and rotated.  After about 10-12 minutes the records are taken out and allowed to dry

The photos attached here show the procedure in assembling the machine and in operation.  Click on an image to enlarge it

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #1274 on: September 03, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: