Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276763 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: More pics from the 8th July shootout
« Reply #1245 on: July 08, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »

How we score the speakers - taken from score sheets

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline christowp

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1246 on: July 08, 2017, 08:32:44 PM »
A good morning of sound and music and some critical listening - thanks to all who brought equipment and attended. Its amazing how much "sound" those "small" drivers produce. The full ranges in particular had a really big sound for its size, 6" I think. All the other speakers were 2 way designs. Its all about cabinet and crossover design as we all know I think. I was amazed by this as most of my speakers are three way designs with 12" woofers. Good to hear mostly "home grown stuff" sound so good. 

Another positive is that one gets to know about so many artists and genre's of music that we don't normally listen to. So that in itself is also enriching and a real positive spinoff of these club activities for me. The folks at home appreciate that the most because they have grown tired of my 6 test songs I use that they have had to endure for years. 

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #1247 on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »
Where is my pizza
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline christowp

« Reply #1248 on: July 09, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »
Thanks for comprehensive report ChrisC

Dean we gave it to Andre - we missed you as we do at the other meetings

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1249 on: July 09, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
No, the pizza is in the microwave at the church.  They are open for services today so you can pop into the kitchen to look, it might be there

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #1250 on: July 09, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
I will attend next meeting
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline bbe22

« Reply #1251 on: July 09, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
Thanks to all at the DIY meet on Saturday, had a nice time :)
Regards
Brian

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #1252 on: July 09, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1253 on: July 09, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »
Thanks to all at the DIY meet on Saturday, had a nice time :)

You guys won't believe the sound Brian got out of some very budget drivers! But that is not the best part of this speaker. The finish was very arty. The pic shows an earlier speaker using the Infinity Dynamics yellow cone in the background (as usual: very nicely made!), and the brand new (less than a week old!) Blues. Pictures don't do it justice!

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1254 on: July 10, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
The next meeting is at a Recording Studio in Cape Town on Wednesday 2nd August.  Will post the announcement soon

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: August 2017 meeting - Wednesday 2nd
« Reply #1255 on: July 19, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
The August meeting is early, as we have to accommodate bookings at the Recording Studio we are visiting

Bloem street is parallel with Wale Street and 4 street closer to Table Mountain.  The studio is at 21 which is between Long Street and Loop Street

One of our members has a pair of transmission line speakers for sale.  These contain a KEF B139 unit, a mid-range and a tweeter.  Getting on for 50 years old but efficient and with a clear sound.  Asking R2000 for them.  Contact Huntly Jay in Fish Hoek at 021-7851588 / 0839480900.  A bargain for someone. 

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #1256 on: July 19, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »
Chris, count me in, i will be joining. Sounds really nice this one.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1257 on: July 21, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
It will be better than Karaeoke and if the engineer thinks you have talent and good boobs, you might get a job  (boobs are more important than a singing voice) unless you are a Justin Bieber clone

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Vinyl Faire - 3rd September 2017
« Reply #1258 on: August 01, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1259 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
The Club's visit to the Milestone Recording Studio in Bloem Street, Cape Town was one of the more interesting ones we have attended

The chief engineer, Murray explained the concepts surrounding the design of his main studio - the floor consists of two layers of reinforced concrete, the top layer decoupled from the wall and resting on rubber blocks, the walls are 3 layers, separated by insulation and none of the walls, floor and ceiling are parallel.  This results in a large room almost devoid of reflections and totally isolated from the outside world, such that a jackhammer crew in the street outside is inaudible in the studio

Many microphones are used and fed into a 48 channel mixer.  This allows individual tailoring of level, adjusting the frequency, de-ssing in the case of voice and creating an effect so that one instrument's frequency range does nor impinge on another

We listened to a selection of recordings, and it works.  The first playback is done using 4, 12" bass units to determine the level of bass energy present, which while not being reproduced on narrower bandwidth equipment, would affect the overall level of the recording

Sound is recorded at 24 bit 48KHz, the 24 bit aspect allowing a much greater dynamic range