Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 322348 times)

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+143)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: Vivid Audio and VTL presentation at the Park Inn, Newlands Cape Town
« Reply #1125 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
An enlightening presentation by Philip Guttentag from Vivid Audio, Luke Manley and Bea Lam from VTL at the Park Inn Hotel in Newlands last night. 
Philip explained the improvement in the new Vivid G1 Spirit which encompasses many refinements to the drivers, the materials used in their construction and the fact that the newer speakers are shorter in height than their predecessor but have the same internal volume.  Luke Manley explained in great detail the design of their valve amplifiers and brought along two 400 watt monoblocks which provided a very smooth and integrated sound.  Bea is the quality control director at VTL and has a degree in electrical engineering from Cornell University

Top L to R:  Stefan, Luke with wife Bea, Chris, Philip, Rodney

Middle - the imposing Giya G1 Spirit, finished in matt yellow, with electronics from VTL on the stands.  Not visible behind each speaker is an outboard crossover

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1126 on: March 03, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
ai, I didn't check the post off the Vivid Audio presentation. eintlik uit gemis op dit nou!!  :sd: looks like it was a really nice setup.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1127 on: March 03, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
Not the very best sound I have heard, there was a bass resonance in the room, which was almost square, but damn close.  The diction and presence of singers from the speakers was astonishing.  Words like "clean" and "clarity" do not do it justice.  On one Schubert vocal recording, you could detect the choir standing in a line behind the soloist, who herself was some distance from the microphone, with the piano some distance behind her

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #1128 on: March 03, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »
ai, I didn't check the post off the Vivid Audio presentation. eintlik uit gemis op dit nou!!  :sd: looks like it was a really nice setup.

Sies! Wie mis uit op Vivids?

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1129 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »
New Hi-Fi Club safety officer shows his credentials

https://youtu.be/mpwFKgdDM1M

Offline christowp

« Reply #1130 on: March 05, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
back t the drawing board for the mains conditioner - not dealing to well with Eskom dirty mains

Offline christowp

« Reply #1131 on: March 05, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
The Vivid evening was great. The spirits certainly look the part (even in the canary yellow livery) and they sounded natural and musical even if a bit soft in the upper registers (for my liking). Good detail and separation and great imagery. The Puccini CD player was used for some of the demo and this component certainly played its role well. The whole system worked in synergy and provided some really good sound. The folks from VTL (the amplifier folk) mentioned that they actually prefer and support vinyl playback at their headquarters in California.

Thanks Phillip, Luke and the rest of the team

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Change of venue and date for March meeting
« Reply #1132 on: March 06, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
The meeting scheduled for Achim's Loft this Thursday has been postponed for at least one month

Since our usual venue of the WBJS is no longer available, due to school commitments, the club is looking for an alternative venue to hold meetings

The requirements are:

Easy to find
Adequate, secure parking
Available when we need it
Not too expensive
Kitchen facilities
Quiet environment
Seating

A bonus would be:

Room with good proportions for audio reproduction
Free wi-fi

We are open to suggestions

However, in the meantime and since this Thursday's meeting is not going to happen, we have arranged a meeting to be held on:

Wednesday 8th March from 8.00 sharp
Cape Town Cricket Club in Victoria Road, Plumstead

We will experiment with placement of the equipment and speakers and play a variety of music, so your expertise in assisting us to do this would be greatly appreciated

How to get there:

The CTCC is in Victoria Road in Plumstead.  From the Main Road, turn into Victoria Road over the bridge and the CTCC is 500m down in the right hand side.  There is an adequate amount of parking inside the parking area

From the M5, you take the second Plumstead exit into Dick Burton Street, proceed right to the top and turn right into Victoria Road. 250m further on is the CTCC

On Google Maps the CTCC is adjacent to the Tennis Club

We look forward to your company this Wednesday

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #1133 on: March 06, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
I will bring a bat and ball
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1134 on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
A prize will be handed out by Professor Chris "HD" Reddy to one lucky person....a members hip(no strings attached) free to be used for one year from date of installation....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1135 on: March 07, 2017, 07:45:30 AM »
We must put our heads together at this meeting and pray for tales...maybe invite a maiden over?(no short mid wickets allowed during the power play)Those members can come afterwards.Jozua will be attending and will take the silly mid off if things slide out of hand....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1136 on: March 07, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »
For those who don't know where the meeting place is....the CTHFC will be at the CTCC adjacent to the CTTC and in the vicinity of the the CTBC....which is right next to the PC (Plumstead Cemetary) (soon to be resting place of most of management.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:01:14 AM by Kent Kassler »

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1137 on: March 07, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
We can always rely on Andre for accurate and concise instructions.  Andre will stand in Victoria Road waving an ISIS flag.  That should garner some attention

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1138 on: March 07, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
Chris....please forward Dean's account to him....I was the only one to receive free lifetime membership....he just wants to eat for free!

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1139 on: March 07, 2017, 08:07:01 AM »
I have dug up Rosie the Malpiet drinking girl Dean loves so much....so just to confirm.....I will be bringing the Kookiburrowed. ...