Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276608 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1110 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
J was taking the pictures
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1111 on: February 10, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
Mine were 3watt sep el84 amps :thumbs:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Spurge

« Reply #1112 on: February 10, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
Only managed to get there by 20h20 and gates were locked and no answer on intercom. Security could not raise anyone. Still not even sure about which gate to use and security did not know which hall. What r we supposed to do if we r late?

Anyway no prob. I renewed my membership via EFT. The State of the nation address was highly entertaining.

Offline christowp

« Reply #1113 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:31 PM »
Money received - thanks Spurge.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1114 on: February 10, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
Ag no man Spurge...would have been great to see you....you missed 6 of the miniature donuts cut into quarters so technically 24....and the samoosas so lovingly crafted into Dorito sized chips....the spring rolls were an extra special treat....they were the size of a Willards fling....it turns out that Dean's steak at the year end function has cleaned out the kitty....
Thanks to Chris H.D Reddy the budget cuts did not dampen spirits....I hereby officially offer the club R1500 for the donated pm94 Marantz to double the balance and allow us to move forward...don't think about it for too long....most of the management don't have much time left....in fact I have commissioned Dr John already to do a NOS "Chris Clark Kent Memorial Dac"  :giggle::giggle:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:23:18 PM by Kent Kassler »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »
Spurge, my apologies.  I will post mine and Chris R's mobile numbers so that does not happen in future

When I open up the school, I place a blocker on the beam to inhibit the gate motor auto-close.  The (not very intelligent) security guard took it upon himself to remove it, after which the gate closed.  He has specific instructions to check the car-park for visitors and ascertain inside the school whether they want the gate to remain open for a period

Being lazy, he did not do that

Then, when we were to leave, we found the gate motor would not start.  This has been a known fault for 3 months, yet has not been fixed.  I eventually got hold of the alarm control, who chased down the guard who was at the Girls School and told him to manually open the gate

A problem might be that every time you go to the school, there is a different guard there.  They only absorb about 1/3 of their instructions.  Calling the guard control (different from the alarm) after hours gets you someone who sounds like he has just woken up and tells you he has no idea how to get hold of the guard

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1116 on: February 10, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »
So, at the meeting last night there was the small matter of a musical quiz. Some classical and some classics; identify the composer/band/singer. A few scored 7 out of 10 and got to pick the choicest prizes. Three other people and I scored 6. Problem was that there were only 3 prizes left. Someone claimed the first one, then there were 2 left. I indicated that I wanted what looked like a DECT phone but - nah! I got the wallet!

It looked kinda nice, but I knew I would not be using it soon, as I have just gotten my current wallet worn in. A quick squiz inside and I saw a few coppers, looked like one-cent Euro coins (I couldn't tell, as I was wearing verkyker contact lenses). I got a warm feeling just then. I though it was a nice touch to put in those coins.  ^-^

I got home late, so I didn't get to tell my wife about my prize. This evening she came complaining that she hadn't bought me that wallet!  :angrywife: Well, she wasn't really angry; just curious. So I told the family about the quizz and prizes, while taking out the coins to brag about them. And _then_.... I opened the back zip and... CHA-CHING!!!! Actual Euros! Let's just say it was a tidy sum!

I'm still grinning  ;D. Anthony, was that you??!! Whoever it was: thanks a bunch, boet!

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline El Sid

« Reply #1117 on: February 11, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
So, at the meeting last night there was the small matter of a musical quiz. Some classical and some classics; identify the composer/band/singer. A few scored 7 out of 10 and got to pick the choicest prizes. Three other people and I scored 6. Problem was that there were only 3 prizes left. Someone claimed the first one, then there were 2 left. I indicated that I wanted what looked like a DECT phone but - nah! I got the wallet!

It looked kinda nice, but I knew I would not be using it soon, as I have just gotten my current wallet worn in. A quick squiz inside and I saw a few coppers, looked like one-cent Euro coins (I couldn't tell, as I was wearing verkyker contact lenses). I got a warm feeling just then. I though it was a nice touch to put in those coins.  ^-^

I got home late, so I didn't get to tell my wife about my prize. This evening she came complaining that she hadn't bought me that wallet!  :angrywife: Well, she wasn't really angryyi; just curious. So I told the family about the quizz and prizes, while taking out the coins to brag about them. And _then_.... I opened the back zip and... CHA-CHING!!!! Actual Euros! Let's just say it was a tidy sum!

I'm still grinning  ;D. Anthony, was that you??!! Whoever it was: thanks a bunch, boet!

I just hope you didn't make off with someone's wallet!  :ROFLMAO:

Offline christowp

« Reply #1118 on: February 11, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Clearly not the club's wallet as Andre indicated. We need more members to pay their dues and we should manage even better. Andre's graphic descriptions of the food was classic prose - that guy has a real writer's imagination.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1119 on: February 11, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
It was Euro coins left over from our last trip to France.  Might buy you a coffee at a Boulangerie or Le Peleton Cafe

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1120 on: February 11, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »
What's this about lingerie?Who got that?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1121 on: February 11, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
The knickers have been put to one side for your next visit, Andre.  Don't be embarassed, several guys like wearing women's clothes

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Change of venue for the Vinyl Faire this Sunday 26th February
« Reply #1122 on: February 20, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
The hall at Wynberg School is NOT available due to a school event

Instead, we have been invited to the Cape Town Cricket Club which is in Victoria Road in Plumstead (AKA Plumstead Cricket Club)

This venue offers

Parking inside the grounds for 25+ cars
A large room with an adequate number of tables
Toilets in the premises
A full bar (beers are R16,00)
The club will again be selling boerewors rolls for R25,00, with onion rings and your choice of relish
There is a swimming pool

The map is below.  The place is very easy to find.  If you are unable to find the place, you can call Chris Clarke at 0742392087 or Chris Reddy  at 0827711923

Doors will open at 8.30 and you can start trading from 9.00.  It is a private club so please be considerate of club members, who will be starting a cricket match at 12.00

We look forward to seeing you on the day.  Entrance is free for everyone, dealers and sellers should join the club for a once off annual fee of R130,00, plus R60,00 for a table (we need to pay the CCC for the use of their space)

One of our members, Karel Mars will be bringing some of his valve creations to display

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Today's Vinyl Fair opens in one hour at...
« Reply #1123 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »
Drive in, park and enjoy.  Cape Town Cricket Club, Victoria Road, Plumstead

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1124 on: February 26, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
Without a doubt our best Vinyl Faire ever.  Approximately 300 people through the door, all the dealers without exception said they are very pleased with the venue and response.  So much so that I doubt we could have fitted another dealer in.

Good vibe, good surroundings and environment.  Easy to find (compared with the school), ample parking (there were 38 cars in the car-park at any one time).  We sold out of boerewors rolls at about 12h00

Karel Mars came along with a small selection of his amplifiers