Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276598 times)

Offline Rodney_gold

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1065 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:49 PM »
For bass traps to be effective they need to span the full height of the room.
Yeh, I was thinking those traps are probably useless

Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #1066 on: September 18, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
Yeh, I was thinking those traps are probably useless
Nah, not as bad as running parametric EQ which can mess with timbers and nuances often rendering sound too clinical and artificial. ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:49:50 PM by audiotweaker »

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #1067 on: September 18, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
Oh, and the snacks and drinks were pretty 3-D and convincing, too, just like real food.

Do I detect a suggestion that the food from the hi-fi club is not of the usual gourmet standard?  After all, we have spring rolls, samoosas..?  What more would an audiophile want?
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline christowp

« Reply #1068 on: September 20, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »
The food was Michelin star standard but hardly touched as the folks had lunch at some "organic" restaurant in that area before the session started. The session was great and I endorse the comments made earlier. One can only get really good bass (without subs) from 10 or preferably 12" bass drivers and these did well.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1069 on: September 21, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
At Sunday's Vinyl Faire - to be held in the hall at the Wynberg Boys' Junior School in Oxford Road, Wynberg from 10h00, we will have a selection of the finest Cape boerewors courtesy of Werda Butchery, enclosed in a fluffy roll, with your choice of onions, tomato sauce, mustard or hot chili.  Should this make you thirsty, there are chilled beers (Castle Lite), Coke, Coke Zero and Coke Light.  There is also a small selection of wrapped sweets to finish off your repast before you come for a second helping.  Tea (Ceylon and Rooibos) and coffee are also available

We serve both the vinyl audiophile and the discerning gourmet

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Vinyl Faire - today
« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2016, 07:55:37 AM »
Vinyl Faire - today

Today, Sunday from 10h00 to 14h00 in the hall at Wynberg Boys' Junior School, Oxfiord Road, Wynberg

Free entry for visirors, secure parking in the grounds
R50 fpr sellers, table included
Good food on sale
Bring your dog, mother in law, whatever

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
A good turnout today, about 80% of our usual crowd and 3 fewer dealers.  Nevertheless, the dealers to whom we spoke were enthusiastic about their turnover and the amount of records they sold.  We did notice that dealers who charge a premium on their LPs (over R100 per disc) did considerably less well than dealers who had records on offer from R20,00 and up.  Just goes to show, price is all important.  After all, its Cape Town

Jacques (Turntable Man) had his Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine along (4th picture, behind the bottles) which did an excellent job of cleaning debris, swarf, road kill and other nasties from LP record surfaces

You will see from the last picture (bottom, right) that there is another vinyl fair in Observatory towards the end of this month, in Nuttall Road, parallel with the Lower Main Road but towards the station.  Should be fun

The Hi-Fi Club is arranging another Vinyl Faire on 27th November but it will not be at the Gym Hall at WBJS, but somewhere else.  Look out for the notifications

Online fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
Kent Kassler turned vinyl peddler! :faint:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »
Kent Kassler turned vinyl peddler! :faint:

All Kent's stuff is hand selected, graded and priced according to how enthusiastic you look  :BWAHAHAH:

You should see the dealer scrum once he has setup  :BWAHAHAH: I have seen dealers buy and put it straight into their bin with a new price   :giggle:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
True bloody story that!....I am such a useless seller of vinyl.....they ride me hard them boys.....like a fool I have been known to sell 1k value lp's for R50! :ROFLMAO:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #1075 on: September 26, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
I really am a ****... sold a Blondie & Papa "Together" for R50.....no man,somebody help me please....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #1076 on: September 26, 2016, 03:44:47 PM »
I really am a ****... sold a Blondie & Papa "Together" for R50.....no man,somebody help me please....

Did you just see them come up on a FB smous group for a whole lot more  :whip:  :whip:  :whip:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: October meeting announcement
« Reply #1077 on: October 01, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #1078 on: October 12, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
Hey Guys. I guess this is the spot were the newbies post.  ^-^ New to the group (well, were scouting in the background for a while). I'm from Cape Town side. Grown up in a house with a father that loves 70/80/90s music and big Pioneer head  :groovy: My dream all the years was to own a decent A/V sound system, always help installing friends systems and helping other with there setups, till my luck strike me 2 weeks ago. My Next door neighbor upgrade his 2nd system with a new Nad and Klipsch system in his braai room I and ended getting the old stuff that was in the braai room.  :winkwink:

The Speaker is a Acoustic Research AR-900 series with side mounted woofers, and Kenwood KRF-V4060D amp. The stuff was really well look after ( i help him installing this stuff a thew years ago". Planning to change the amp and maybe add extra active sub "had a my eye on a Marantz sr6006 that i just must on a add over the weekend"  :Ooooooh: but i will find my rite one.

Just want to add, AWESOME info i found on the group so far and you guys are really nice.  :thumbs:

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Speaker shootout - Saturday 15th October 2016 at 10h00
« Reply #1079 on: October 13, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »
In case you don't for some reason receive the Hi-Fi Club's mail shots, this Saturday 15th is the annual Speaker Shootout, where we play selected music excerpts through each speaker in turn

It is not restricted to home-built speakers, although last year's were of such a high standard that we are awaiting their offspring, but if you would like to bring your own (commercial) speakers to do a comparison, you are most welcome.  We have several sets coming already.  We will provide the amplification, music and cables

It is this Saturday in the staff room at Wynberg Boys' Junior School in Oxford Road, Wynberg, the doors will open from 9.00am.  Plenty of secure parking right outside the door