Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 282255 times)

Offline Kent Kassler

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #900 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »
Not my cuppa I am afraid.....but having said that,I doubt it is aimed at neurotic farts like audiophiles in the first place.In a flat in Bantry Bay sitting out of view and making a noise it would be quite prized I reckon.Hi-fi it ain't! .....all I hear is spitty treble and beefy lows....hardly a good environment for the middle registers(best not discussed quite honestly)...Thanks to Matt,a true gent for having us......we were only talking during the classical stuff Chris at no point did we talk during proper music!
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #901 on: April 15, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »
On the printed sheet listing the tracks to be played. .....the writer classified Celine Dion as "rock music"......pray tell.....who wrote that Chris? :comfort:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #902 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »
Agreed with most opinions above. They are OK, rather than good. Can churn out a fair amount of bass. Did well on pop, close-mic'ed vocal and other simple-structured music, but lost it completely on orchestral, piano... anything complex. This is decidedly not an audiophile product. A good small-footprint party speaker. But at the price...

Oh - I must give props to the concept, though: credit where it's due. The only thing I have against it is the plasticky appearance. I would like to see a metallic or composite finish version.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #903 on: April 15, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
No, it is most definitely not an audiophile loudspeaker.  One must assume that Devialet did their marketing homework before apparently spending some millions of on R&D.  The guys in their labs must have heard dozens of loudspeakers and makes along with their superb dac/amplifier, so the Phantom must be aimed at a specific market.  Perhaps looking at the advertising method will provide a clue to who this is.  Is it a yuppie who can afford a 100m flat in Paris or Manhattan, certainly not Mr Average who would settle for something more conventional, even a Vivid or Giya and is a true music lover

We must judge the product not by its space in the audiophile sphere, but according to the customers it is aimed at.  In SA, a R50k speaker is a considerable sum, but translate this into or and the figures become more realistic.  You have to admit that for the size of the package, it is capable of very good sound, within the criteria explained overleaf
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #904 on: April 15, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »
On the printed sheet listing the tracks to be played. .....the writer classified Celine Dion as "rock music"......pray tell.....who wrote that Chris? :comfort:

Well classical it ain't, nor baroque, nor c&w.  Do you think "Easy listening" would fit the bill?  The selection of music was chosen to show up deficiencies in the system, and it did that, judging from the comments from listeners

Offline frikkie

« Reply #905 on: April 15, 2016, 08:38:14 AM »
Well classical it ain't, nor baroque, nor c&w.  Do you think "Easy listening" would fit the bill?  The selection of music was chosen to show up deficiencies in the system, and it did that, judging from the comments from listeners

Female vocal pop, is probably about as close as you can get.
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #906 on: April 15, 2016, 08:41:32 AM »
Yes, she is a pop singer.  A talented one for sure and her show in Las Vegas is amazing.  True that the audience was filled with devoted fans (about 3000 of them) but she held the audience spellbound for 90 mins.  One of the better stage shows I have been to, and a very professional group of musicians

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #907 on: April 15, 2016, 09:15:05 AM »
2 tracks were enough for me .. quite one note bass and pretty much confused treble and mids.
Lifestyle product ... competitor to Bose or B&O at a huge price
Dancing bear syndrome strikes....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #908 on: April 15, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
Dancing Bear is still better than Dancing Dean!

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #909 on: April 15, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
I dont dance
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #910 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »
you jiggle..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
« Reply #911 on: April 15, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
Lol
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Next Vinyl Faire - Sunday 1st May at the WBJS
« Reply #912 on: April 21, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
« Reply #913 on: April 21, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »
What food will be ave

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #914 on: April 22, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
We'll talk about it on Saturday.  We will be very pleased if you can offer some suggestions.  Hot dogs are boring, a braai using wood is a big palava with the smoke and all, and a gas braai is difficult to move about on account of its size.  We did get a quote from a fellow who does braais but he wanted R85 per person which is too much.  If you have, or can borrow a gas braai and have a tank full of gas, we will certainly manage the cooking and distribution.  There are a fair number of drinks and beers left over from our last event