Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276762 times)

Offline Rodney_gold

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #870 on: March 15, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »
One of the best DACs for redbook I have heard is the GenVa etc
Old dacs work just as well .. the difference between dacs is subtle at best
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #871 on: March 15, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
You were not missed...
thanks jozua you are the man
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Online stereosane

« Reply #872 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:14 AM »
I compared my Nad M51 to the Theta DS Pro Prime II, and all I can say is I could happily live with the Theta forever... The Nad had more air and was smoother, but the Dynamics of the Theta were just amazing, it gave the music some slam and body without been shouty. They both sound very natural, but I found the Nad more forgiving of poorer recordings.

If you look at the prices of second hand Theta Dacs they offer some serious value for money.

Offline Gramophone

« Reply #873 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
One of the best DACs for redbook I have heard is the GenVa etc
Old dacs work just as well .. the difference between dacs is subtle at best

+1
"Midnight is where the day begins"

Offline Gramophone

« Reply #874 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
If you look at the prices of second hand Theta Dacs they offer some serious value for money.

And with a professional re-cap of the electrolytics if 20 year and older, even more so
"Midnight is where the day begins"

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #875 on: March 19, 2016, 08:20:04 AM »
thanks jozua you are the man

You missed the Woolworths pizzas, Amstel Lite and Coke
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline adie

« Reply #876 on: March 19, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
....rumour has it the tops get chopped off quite severely on the smaller units that were on offer?

By Rodney or Jozua?

Offline alternativeroute

Re: Vinyl Faire today 28th February
« Reply #877 on: March 20, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »
(Probably) thanks to Facebook, which gives a tremendous boost to Hi-Fi Club affairs, a mention on Fine Music Radio, both on the air and in the Cape Town events page and of course the club's own advertising, today's vinyl faire was by far the best attended.  From 9.30 until 2.00, people poured in the door (we estimate between 250 and 280) and all dealers without exception took several thousand Rand home with them.
We sold out of beers at about 1.00 and had just enough hot dogs to go around.  There were a few Cokes left over, that is all
Starting at about 9.15, Ernesto starts setting up

Andre supervises the pricing of Laurie's LPs for sale (Andre and Laurie can always be relied on to bring a vast selection of LPs and other gear)

Some of the early birds start browsing

Chris R supervises the table where we sold hot dogs with mustard, tomato sauce and hot chili, tea, coffee, beers and cokes

Getting busy...

Still more people.  We were pleased to see many young people and ladies along, some with prams

Hardly room to move. Looks like the sidewalk in New York, chock a block with people

When is the next one?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #878 on: March 20, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
Sunday 1st May.  It is in the car-park behind Pick n Pay Wynberg, just below The Ark Night Shelter.  We can all duck into The Ark for coffee should it rain

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: A Vinyl Faire with a difference - Saturday 23rd April
« Reply #879 on: March 23, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
On Saturday 23rd April, you are invited to a "Vinyl and Wine" session at the Lemberg Wine Estate just this side of Tulbagh.  The session will run from 10h00 to 17h00.  Entrance is free.

Wine tasting is available, for a small fee, which is refunded upon purchase of wine from their cellar

The idea is to listen and browse vinyl, enjoy nice wine, buy sell, swop records, and look at some new and used turntables. Refreshments will be available

There will be some exhibitions by E-piphany, Turntable Man (Jacques), and Kandi Records (Mark).

You can have look at Lemberg website and Facebook page: www.lemberg.co.za

To get there:

Enquiries:  Henk du Bruyn 021 3001130 & 0846716743.  We suggest dealers who would like to go please approach Henk for details

Offline Crashappy

« Reply #880 on: March 23, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
Most awesome idea. Showed this to the wife and her first question?  Can we sleep over there that night, have not seen her this excited about a vinyl fair.

Well done also with the exhibitions. Note to self, start saving today.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #881 on: March 23, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
Yes, they have chalets.  Get the details from their website.  Maybe a good idea if you partake heavily with the wine-tasting.  Seeing its about 125km each way, you should allow about 2 hours

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #882 on: March 25, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
After that very infamous Oppo thread where the whole forum pretty much had a go..hmm - I would imagine most of you are in R's little black book.

Ramsey might be plotting revenge!  :whistler: :giggle:

The exchange rate has already plotted revenge, check what the new the current recommended retail price of the OPPO BDP-105D goes for (from the new distributor)? R34 000,00 +?  Just 4 weeks ago, I had a phone call from someone on this forum who told me they so badly regret not getting it from me when I was selling it for R19 000,00.  So the losers and tossers are?...

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #883 on: March 25, 2016, 04:11:05 PM »
Both Ramsey and Lukas assumed that all the DACs would work straight from his Linux based media server, but we found this not to be the case.  Sure the Lampizator does, but few can afford R250k for one piece of kit.  A secondary purpose of the DAC shootout was to ascertain which of the cheaper DACs worked, and this was achieved

All of the DACs worked in that they produced an analogue signal from a digital music file, but some did it better than others.  A good test was a highly compressed 16 bit 44.1KHz recording, "Licence to Kill" sung by Gladys Knight.  Cheaper DACs showed the rough edges of the music to the point of being unpleasant, whereas the better ones smoothed it over.

Listening to the Lampizator, there does not appear to be a great deal of difference between a DSD file and a 24 bit 192KHz one.  Both are equally smooth and dynamic.  One such DSD recording, "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson might have rendered the initial drum solo more accurately.  We did not have the time to do an A-B test.  It is quite evident that you need to have a very accurate system to reveal the differences between the more expensive DACs

Indeed, for a proper A/B comparison between 24 bit PCM and DSD music, we would need a demo day or evening dedicated to that of which I am sure you will hear differences. Sometimes a remastered 24bit HDTracks download may sound better than a non-remastered DSD version, so it would still be tricky depending on the material. For instance, I prefer the recent remastered Led Zeppelin 24bit (HDTracks) stuff to some of the stock standard DSD ones, and some standard DSD Led Zeps to those 24bit high-res remasters, so it's a matter of choice at the end. In general, most DSD material do sound more fluid and grain-free, that's a lot of people's take on the medium by the way, not just my own.

Regarding the ease of plug'n play for Linux based servers with DACs, there is always some care to be taken to get things to sync before playing files. Linux is still far more tolerant and less glitchy than Windows as you may have noticed the endless drivers issues we initially did encountered with the Window's-based laptop. One of the reason why we now prefer to build our servers with Linux. Linux will in most cases not care to install drivers which is a huge plus.  Some will not be pre-installed which will require some workaround, but in general, it's still more of a breeze than Windows.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:14:15 PM by audiotweaker »

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #884 on: March 25, 2016, 04:21:08 PM »
Some nice gear there,

@chrisc
Would you be able to get more details about the Linux based server. PC based, running what distribution/OS?
MPD or squeezelite/logitechmedia server?

Configuration settings for DSD and PCM?
DOP, Native DSD or PCM re-sampling?
PCM to DSD or BruteFIR?

USB chipset of the DAC's that could do USB?

Hi Gavin, please inbox me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AudiotweakZA/ ? Will send email details from there. Thanks.