Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276166 times)

Offline WD

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #840 on: March 05, 2016, 11:58:46 PM »
After that very infamous Oppo thread where the whole forum pretty much had a go..hmm - I would imagine most of you are in R's little black book.

Ramsey might be plotting revenge!  :whistler: :giggle:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:05:57 AM by WD »

Online Kent Kassler

« Reply #841 on: March 06, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
Credit checks
You would not pass.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #842 on: March 06, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
You would not pass.

All you need to pass is be in possession of three valid credit cards and a Woolworths My School card  :EGrin:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #843 on: March 06, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »
....well the winner of this upcoming shoot out is very clear to me...  The Lampizator (check the Golden Gate) is an outstanding product - offers extreme
musicality. I believe its worthwile to go there and to join the Shoot Out. My Gryphon DAC got (sadly) sold before delivery..... but the Gryphon might be the only competitor against the Lampizator Golden Gate....

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline Jozua

« Reply #844 on: March 06, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
I take my hat off to any small high end audio dealer who can make a living in the present economic  climate. Operating from home with direct sales is the way to go.
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #845 on: March 06, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
Jozua.... I never saw you wearing a hat  ;D

Its less about the economic climate..its more about "ears with feet" who should trust more in their own ability to hear differences, to hear and feel than to believe in big names. The Lampizator is a very good example for some Enthusiats which we can spot and find in the world. Poland (Lampizator) always been a music loving country and I remember the days in West Berlin when the wall came down and we got in contact to the "audiophiles" in Poland or Hungary...and czech as well.....

The big brands are super boring..very predictable in what they will deliver at certain price points...for a certain market. Where is the FUN?

Offline Jozua

« Reply #846 on: March 06, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Achim

You have to give credit for those you still soldier on.

J

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #847 on: March 06, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
See me in the flesh on Saturday

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Katji

« Reply #848 on: March 07, 2016, 04:49:10 AM »
The Lampizator is a very good example for some Enthusiasts which we can spot and find in the world. Poland (Lampizator) always been a music loving country and I remember the days in West Berlin when the wall came down and we got in contact to the "audiophiles" in Poland or Hungary...and czech as well.....
And the artisan/craftsman culture is still strong, I think. One I found on a fb speaker group, a Slovak woodworker, building speakers and amps. Worked with wood all his life, and it sort of made sense to see the huge forest next to his house.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: DAC shootout 12th March
« Reply #849 on: March 13, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
The setup of the DACs was not that well prepared and absent hardware drivers and the inability of the Linux music server to address all the DACs optimally wasted some time.  Jason gave a good explanation of the various attributes you might look for when comparing a DAC and this assisted the audience with the music playback that followed

KORG DS100 - This is a relatively inexpensive DAC and although it is DSD compatible, to achieve DSD translation, you need to use Korg Audio Player or do a very minor tweak to JRiver's DSP studio.  Since the Macbook was running Audivarna media player, it could only resolve 192KHz music files.  Since many computer audiophiles use JRiver, I do not see this as a negative.  This DAC provided a detailed, warm sound

NuPrime DAC80 -  Opinions were mixed about this DAC, most thought it gave a warm sound, but not as detailed as the one that preceded it

Lampizator - Almost straight way the sound blossomed and became more lively, providing a height of sound quite beyond the top of the speakers.  Without doubt a top performer.  One could listen all day long without fatigue

PS Audio NuWave - Most thought it did quite a bit better than the NuPrime, which at double the retail price, is as it should be.  Many thought the dynamic range one of the better ones.  Accurate and pleasant listening, resolved a poor recording well.  One person heard a high noise floor

Creative - Inexpensive as it is, it got good marks from our listeners, particularly the overall impression

Audio DG-NFB15.32.  This got good marks as did the Creative DAC but does not offer so many features (only USB and Co-ax inputs) but it does have a digital volume control and as a kit, is not expensive (sub R4000)

Texas Instruments Burr Brown PCM2704 reference design. This little R400 device also sounded great, IMHO, and did remarkably well against the "hifi" units. There were a number of people in the audience asking Jason about it, so it certainly caught everyone's attention.

Older model Lampizator.   The same in almost every respect to the newer model, does not have USB in (but you can connect USB via a SPDIF to USB converter).  Some might say it is better looking and more attune to the WAF

It was a pleasure meeting and conversing with Lukas, who runs the Lampiztor factory in Poland and hearing his design philosophy (the ears are the final test).  He was able to answer many technical questions and explained the benefits of running a dedicated Linux music server with special attention to the components chosen (motherboard, CPU, memory, power supply layout, an SSD).  We were able to swap between using a Macbook with a good but obviously limited power supply, to that made and operated by Ramsey Raad and the improved resolution and detail of the sound was apparent.  While science cannot often measure and resolve differences in digital music reproduction, other components in the signal chain, especially if they are chosen to match, can improve the playback experience

Ramsey provided a good lunch and the session ended at about 3.30.  A big thank you from the club for hosting this event and introducing us to Lukas

What we went to listen to:

Ensuring a good power connection

The manne in listening pose

Lukas from the Lampizator factory on the left

The back row

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #850 on: March 13, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
....one little correction....the DAC80 is a + 2year old design by Nu Force - NOT by NuPrime.

Offline Jozua

« Reply #851 on: March 13, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »
Looks like you guys had lotsa fun !!

Always appreciated when dealers walk the extra mile with the club.  :thumbs:

Online Wolla

« Reply #852 on: March 13, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
Pity you guys had some troubles getting the Korg to go DSD - it really shines there.
Thats why pc still rules.
Main/PC: FLAC > Zotac ZBox Nano Windows 10 PC > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 monos > Piega Premium 5
Cables: Zu Audio - Mission,
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, DIY OB Boombox

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #853 on: March 13, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »
Glad i wasnt there
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Jozua

« Reply #854 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »
Glad i wasnt there

You were not missed...