Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 304512 times)

Offline xumbug

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #780 on: February 07, 2016, 07:22:38 PM »
Gee Shonver,

What happened, that is terrible bud and feel really dad for you. Please bud, you must never feel that you are alone because you are not. I am glad the good people in Cape Town came to see you and made you feel LOVED!!!!You have my mail and cell no mate and if you ever need to talk or feel that way again-its only a two hour flight away.

All the very best,

Stu
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline ron g

Re: Thanks to the Cape Town Hi-Fi Club for easing my pain.
« Reply #781 on: February 07, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
I would like to express my deepest gratitude to The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club for a kind and thoughtful gesture. I shall forever cherish this moment.

I had recently suffered a most frightful and unfortunate bit of bad luck. The incident (now is not the time for details) resulted in me breaking every bone in my body. I was languishing in ward F3, the last open ward in the condemned East Wing of Groote Schuur Hospital, and none of my family had come to visit in more than a month. I had given up my will for living due to the constant pain, and was in the motions of trying to end it all by holding my breath when suddenly, with much commotion, in swept the full complement of Cape Town Hi-Fi Club members with a gift of flowers and "Eine Kleine Nachtmuzik". Hot on their heels were the Audio Video SA paparazzi.

Thank, you fellows! You have certainly made life worth living again!  :cleansound:

andre with his new hairdo pushing the trolley???

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline adie

« Reply #782 on: February 07, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »
 :please:
There just aren't that many thin people in the club.
A few ringers perhaps?  :sh1tstirrer:

Offline xumbug

« Reply #783 on: February 08, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
Come to think of it, that picture looks 30 years old. Shonver i'am going to kick your butt :facepalm: :whistler: ;D
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #784 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
 :angel:

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #785 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »
Come to think of it, that picture looks 30 years old. Shonver i'am going to kick your butt :facepalm: :whistler: ;D

:ROFLMAO: I would guess 40 years old judging by the suits  :point:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Nirvana

« Reply #786 on: February 08, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »
Golly,hope u didn't put the 'commentator's curse' on yerself there boet!

Better watch your step for the next few weeks,or Xumbug mite really have to visit you,and he'd be the only one,with the hi-fi club not 'falling' for the story!  :giggle:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - meeting 11th February - streaming audio
« Reply #787 on: February 10, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
Its TIDAL
Its ROON

Audio gurus Marcus and Rodney will give a demo and talk about how its done

All welcome, pse bring your subs if you'd like to join the Club

First 5 mins of the meeting will show the 2015 meeting stats and financial report, thereafter its audio.  Both on the screen and via a PC/DAC/Amp/Spkrs
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »

andre with his new hairdo pushing the trolley???

hope you all remembered the Ludwig van to play on that....
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
hope you all remembered the Ludwig van to play on that....

LOL! You got it!  :notworthy:

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #790 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
Hope the Ludowicki treatment and its reversal haven't affected your recovery  :dop:

I was waiting for someone else to make the comment.
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Peter Carpenter

« Reply #791 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:41 PM »
These hospital addicted members should pirate elsewhere & hopefully get a life,
create your own thread guys, it's bewildering that you jest here. If it seems like
a bucket of water over your bed ridden camatosis then so be it.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #792 on: February 12, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
Well attended meeting last night, there were 20 there in the end.  After briefly showing the 2015 club stats, financial reports we got on to exploring Tidal with Marcus Vietri (thanks, Marcus).  He explained it well, showed us how easy it is to drive the program (you access it from Chrome) and at $19.99 a month with unlimited access to a vast catalogue of all types and genres of music, you can hardly go wrong.  You need as a minimum a bottom of the range laptop running Windows or Linux, a DAC to transform the digital audio to something you can hear and a 4mb ADSL or LTE internet line.  The school's wi-fi for some reason was only delivering 1,6mb/sec, so there were periods where the buffer had to fill before the music played

Although Tidal does not provide meta-data about the music, you are able to access and read a biography of the artist, which gives you plenty of relevant information

Rodney then explained ROON to us, which is really an add-on or complementary to Tidal.  ROON is a networking program and will recognise whatever you have attached to your computer and deliver separate music to any of them at the same time

Offline christowp

« Reply #793 on: February 13, 2016, 08:35:49 AM »
Nice evening - informative presentations which have certainly stimulated, thanks to the two presenters. At this stage Tidal (wave of music to choose from and access) on my list for the near future. Just got to get the line upgraded and brief others in the fold to reduce their wireless demands on router.   

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Vinyl Faire today 28th February
« Reply #794 on: February 28, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
(Probably) thanks to Facebook, which gives a tremendous boost to Hi-Fi Club affairs, a mention on Fine Music Radio, both on the air and in the Cape Town events page and of course the club's own advertising, today's vinyl faire was by far the best attended.  From 9.30 until 2.00, people poured in the door (we estimate between 250 and 280) and all dealers without exception took several thousand Rand home with them.

We sold out of beers at about 1.00 and had just enough hot dogs to go around.  There were a few Cokes left over, that is all

Starting at about 9.15, Ernesto starts setting up

Andre supervises the pricing of Laurie's LPs for sale (Andre and Laurie can always be relied on to bring a vast selection of LPs and other gear)

Some of the early birds start browsing

Chris R supervises the table where we sold hot dogs with mustard, tomato sauce and hot chili, tea, coffee, beers and cokes

Getting busy...

Still more people.  We were pleased to see many young people and ladies along, some with prams

Hardly room to move. Looks like the sidewalk in New York, chock a block with people