Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 303926 times)

Offline Doogle

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #750 on: November 13, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
Hehe, Jacques, one of the reasons I didn't go was because I didn't want to be tempted into something I can't afford - just curiosity! And anyway, they would not be practical for me as the woofers are too low, and a huge liability with my dogs! At least the B1's are high enough to keep their noses at bay (for the most part) :-p
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:25:13 PM by Doogle »
Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #751 on: November 13, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
1.5's were limited compared to g3's which sounded real good to me..  Ive heard em plenty at Marcus's place.. they dont sound small nd their bass is prodigious

I think B1 to G3 is a sort of more sideways and upward move then a straight upwards one..the price difference is substantial.. g3 = R280k now... eina!!! If you got the spare cash..get the G3's .. if you want performance that comes pretty close without having to sell a Jag .. the B1's

if you got the space then I think the G2's are the perfect compromise in their range ...scale, bass  and the rest in spades. almost no different to G1 barring the bass extension.

The G1's are really special.. large scale sound and serious low end extension, visually imposing .. conversation pieces. functional industrial art they make every  session not just listening to music , but an event..

The HT music experience we had was jaw dropping .. much better than any pair of speakers..I wan't.... you are truly immersed in the music , closest to live I heard ..orchestral piece on a demo disc...so inbuilt wow factor..but it ws a BIG WoW...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #752 on: November 13, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
The HT demo was stunning, no doubt, but too much larger than life.  I would like to see a James Bond movie in there, this could do justice to the equipment.  The church organ and orchestral pieces were far too loud, but would be more realistic if it were a similar volume to the original.  In Cape Town the best organ recitals are in the City Hall.  This gives you a good comparison
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Mervin

« Reply #753 on: November 13, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
The HT demo was stunning, no doubt, but too much larger than life.
What was used in the HT demo... me not being there at the time.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #754 on: November 13, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »
The HT demo was stunning, no doubt, but too much larger than life.  I would like to see a James Bond movie in there, this could do justice to the equipment.  The church organ and orchestral pieces were far too loud, but would be more realistic if it were a similar volume to the original.  In Cape Town the best organ recitals are in the City Hall.  This gives you a good comparison

You should try the Groote Kerk  :teach:  http://www.roucherdutoit.com/about-roucher/groote-kerk-organ/

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Doogle

« Reply #755 on: November 13, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »
Think I will be very satisfied with my B1's and the ML Depth i sub for a loooong time to come!

Offline Katji

« Reply #756 on: November 14, 2015, 01:07:05 AM »
You should try the Groote Kerk  :teach:  http://www.roucherdutoit.com/about-roucher/groote-kerk-organ/

Thanks for that.  :thumbs: I'm going to plan a trip to Cape Town, and go to the morning service there.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #757 on: November 14, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »
You wont really need the sub with B1's.. but speak to me re drc for the low bass and sub integration..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Mervin

« Reply #758 on: November 14, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »
You wont really need the sub with B1's.. but speak to me re drc for the low bass and sub integration..
Reviews I read say that the B1 does not go as low as the Revel Salons... but the bass seems actually better due to the speed and control from the B1's  Cannot wait as well.

Offline Doogle

« Reply #759 on: November 14, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
Definitely makes a huge difference to fill out the real bottom end - with great restraint of course - and depending on the quality and speed of the sub.

Offline Mervin

« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
Definitely makes a huge difference to fill out the real bottom end - with great restraint of course - and depending on the quality and speed of the sub.
I have the 2 x B&W PV1's  works well with the V1.5 but will move it to the B1's... man, few more weeks out the country  :sd:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »
What was used in the HT demo... me not being there at the time.

There was a fireworks display, with the fireworks exploding at different heights to show the height aspect of the various speakers
Then a street in Amsterdam with the local noises - traffic, people.  The three "layers" of sound were switched on and off at various times to show you what was missing when a bank of speakers was switched off
Next an organ recital of Bach Prelude in D minor in a medium sized cathedral.  This is the one I thought far too loud.  An instrument possibly installed in the early 20th century could not generate such volume.  The congregation would have run out the door
Then the Antwerp Symphony Orchestra playing some Mozart.  The strings were excessively loud compared to the rest of the orchestra.  If it had been toned down a little, this to me would have been the best section
Lastly some helicopters flying overhead.

But you must remember this is a sales demo, prepared by the manufacturer to impress potential customers.  One does not need to be too critical about content

Demos like this are fine for the 10 mins it lasted, but I feel you want something more lifelike to use what in must be a staggeringly expensive installation in your home theatre.  Movies with lots of special effects like Spectre, Jurassic World, Gravity, Pirates of the Caribbean, Avatar, etc should go down well
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:19:25 AM by chrisc »

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #762 on: November 14, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »
"Bach's organ in d minor"....any idea which cathedral Chris?
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #763 on: November 14, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »
Thanks for that.  :thumbs: I'm going to plan a trip to Cape Town, and go to the morning service there.

I went to watch this one there.

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #764 on: November 14, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »
"Bach's organ in d minor"....any idea which cathedral Chris?

No idea.  Bach's organ???  Sounds a little dodgy to me