Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 304848 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #735 on: November 13, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »
The Phantoms and the Vivids are two separate speakers, much like Toyota and Nissan are separate cars.  An advantage of the Phantoms, apart from their small size, is that you do not need a cable from the amplifier to the speaker.  A PC or a media player equipped with a wi-fi connection (which they all have) will stream the signal to the speaker and the entire control can be done from the source.  I haven't read the instruction manual, but I am sure there are other tweaks you can apply.  If you don't have a wireless network available, you can connect the source via a LAN cable and even an optical cable.  This means a CD player with an optical out and a suitable volume control will connect to the Phantom without anything else between them
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - Meeting at Acoustic Solutions on 12th Nov 2015
« Reply #736 on: November 13, 2015, 08:40:53 AM »
Our visit to Matthew Carter at Acoustic Solutions was very enlightening and entertaining.  AS have a large demo room on the first floor of their offices in Paarden Eiland.  As can be seen from the pics, there is the Devialet Phantom on a stand, Vivid 1.5s and Giya G1.

We started off viewing the presentation provided by Devialet which not only introduced their new Phantom wireless powered speaker, but took us through their design and manufacturing philosophy, their R&D which they have spent 25 million on, their various products and sound management systems (SAM, etc)

The sound from the Giya's was absolutely superb.  Extreme detail, effortless sound and wonderful sound stage.  The Vivids were very similar, perhaps a bit less bass extension.  We then listened to some demo music provided by Devialet for the Phantom and this proved the amazing bass response from this tiny enclosure.  These recordings were unfortunately pure "demo" sound and did not do justice to the speakers undoubted ability, so we hope to have a return visit to properly evaluate this new speaker

Matthew has a Dolby ATMOS equipped theatre and we were able to watch and listen to a show featuring the different aspects of this speaker system, with floor, upper, high, ceiling, side and rear speakers.  Helicopters flying overhead are particularly realistic

The club expresses its thanks to Matthew for putting up a good show, providing excellent snacks and willingly answering questions about the products on display

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #737 on: November 13, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
Phantom..stunning  bass , goes loud , lacks refinement in the mids and treble.. lifestyle stuff .. probably better than most midfi .. not giant killers IMO ..
I was disapointed at the turnout bearing in mind what was being demoed
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #738 on: November 13, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
Phantom..stunning  bass , goes loud , lacks refinement in the mids and treble.. lifestyle stuff .. probably better than most midfi .. not giant killers IMO ..

I would have liked to listen to the Phantoms in a stereo configuration...

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #739 on: November 13, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Yeh... I can only comment on the tonality..
One of the guys there streamed a hendrix track off his phone..totally unlistenable..I fled to the HT room
The HT demo was seriously impressive..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #740 on: November 13, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »

I so much wanted to make this one, but I was indisposed. Trying hard to make a project submission deadline.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Jozua

« Reply #741 on: November 13, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »
Stunning venue- loved the open space feeling and the smell of wood coming from the veneer shop below.

Sonically, I preferred the smaller Vivid speaker- to my ears much more refined that the Giya that possibly still needed to be played in.  The HT sound was super realistic and send shivers up my spine !

Acoustic Solutions is a bit hidden away and hopefully the club can assist in giving them more exposure. 
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #742 on: November 13, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
....If i'd known about the meneer shop below and that the smell of wood was in the air,I would have come to Acoustic Solutions.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:04:11 AM by BK »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Jozua

« Reply #743 on: November 13, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »
....If i'd known about the meneer shop below and that the smell of wood was in the air,I would have come to Acoustic Solutions.

We were told you were not feeling lekker ....

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #744 on: November 13, 2015, 10:11:50 AM »
....I have some health issues.....dipped my toes into HT and it sent a shiver up my spine.  :giggle:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Jozua

« Reply #745 on: November 13, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
....I have some health issues.....dipped my toes into HT and it sent a shiver up my spine.  :giggle:

Good grief - though Ursie had swallowed them by now...

Offline Doogle

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - Meeting at Acoustic Solutions on 12th Nov 2015
« Reply #746 on: November 13, 2015, 12:40:38 PM »
Our visit to Matthew Carter at Acoustic Solutions was very enlightening and entertaining.  AS have a large demo room on the first floor of their offices in Paarden Eiland.  As can be seen from the pics, there is the Devialet Phantom on a stand, Vivid 1.5s and Giya G1.

Those were certainly not G1's - look like G3's or even G4's to me!
Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #747 on: November 13, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
G3

Offline Doogle

« Reply #748 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:47 PM »
Rod,
I was sorry not to be able to make it to the meet - was very curious about the G3's.
How did they compare authoritatively to your G1's, and also the V1,5's? can't believe they look so small - the G4's must be diminutive!!!
Wondering how much better the SQ would be than the B1's.
All very interesting..........
Doogle
Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #749 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
^^^ Give Matthew a call and go have a listen  :teach:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: