Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 303939 times)

Offline alternativeroute

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #570 on: June 09, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
When is the next one?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline christowp

« Reply #571 on: June 09, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »
There were mixed feelings expressed about the venue on Sunday - some folks felt it was a bit small with limited space. However there was oodles of space closer to the bar on the right of the entrance. Others expressed the opinion that it is a cosy venue, centrally located and with good facilities (bar and pub food).

I think we should stick with this venue for the next faire and just make the date closer to pay day for most folks - 26th June was mentioned

Let get some more opinions

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #572 on: June 09, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
The manager (yet another new guy) would not commit himself to an available date, so I have to go again when the fellow from Barristers is there.  Apparently this new manager wanted to have a buffet but didn't advertise it properly and there was a lot of wasted food

Laurie said that the end of the month is fine. 
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
The meeting notes for the 11th June club meeting Powerpoint presentation can be found here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By22-wi-jaVZQjhQVGhsNnBSLVk/view?usp=sharing

(Photobucket not working today, so no image)

Offline Jozua

« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
Thanks Chris - very informative talk.

I have never heard those speakers sound so good !
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline mastermamo

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB
« Reply #575 on: June 12, 2015, 07:26:44 PM »
Mail sent lets see what all this is about
The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB...

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #576 on: June 12, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
Did anybody pitch up
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »
Yes - 9

Offline christowp

« Reply #578 on: June 13, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
Thanks Chris  - talk was informative and interesting. I will need to do follow up consultation though before I can get going seriously. Will be moving in this direction when I have a short break in August so will be in touch

CR

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #579 on: June 20, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Powerpoint presentation can be found here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By22-wi-jaVZQjhQVGhsNnBSLVk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks Chris for a nice overview of computers in audio.  Quite a radical development in quality audio reproduction ... previously expenditure on a balanced system set-up would be heavily weighted towards the front end ... not any more!

Not a member as I have been stuck on the far side of the boerewors curtain for over 20 years.  But I remember many (mostly) enjoyable meetings in a school staff room in the early 90's ... nice to see the Club up and running again.   :thumbs:

Francois
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - next meeting 9th July
« Reply #580 on: July 05, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »

Offline Jozua

« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »
It was planned to be a nice calm evening of exploring each others music.

But like all club events there is always the unexpected..   

When the coffee and cookies were all consumed and the music started slowing down, the chatting in the back of the room became more obnoxious. Dean unexpectedly stepped forward and hooked up his cellphone to the amp and started doing an impromptu 'Grease Lightning' move with Kent's shouting words of encouragement  The poor Missions speakers nearly fell of their stands when the first base note struck with a vengeance. Within moments the sedate audiophile audience were yelling for more. When Dean's dance routine unintentionally exposed a bit of bedroom flesh, you should have heard the howls.  Fortunately the club amp then started overheating and we had to call an end to the proceedings.

I shudder at what could happen at a forthcoming DIY Show and Tell evening !!

At least the Capies know how to have fun.

A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
 :thumbs:lolit was a good laugh
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #583 on: July 11, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »
Live and let live I say.  As long as no-one pulls out some weed and lights up I don't mind.  We could even have a few beers or a bottle of decent wine (not plonk) to share in future

Re the club amp overheating, it is felt by those that know that the heatsink (a 6mm aluminium flat plate) is too small, so the club is seeking a replacement, as close as for nothing as possible to augment what is there.  Size required is approx 90mm x 70mm in 6mm or 8mm thick copper or aluminium.  So if you have some lying around or could steal it from a defunct Eskom sub-station, we will be pleased to have it

Address to send it supplied on request

The meeting was quite fun, if sparsely attended.  Stefan played his S A artist CD which turned out to be a good recording.  Anthony then regaled us with selected guitar solo recordings, most of which was most enjoyable, then we had Diana Krall singing a Christmas Carol (or similar) and some peculiar classical music.  CR's aging Yamaha acquitted itself very well

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #584 on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Vinyl Faire this month?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: