Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 306348 times)

Offline Kent Kassler

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #540 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »
No wait.....Jozua was in control of the music....but oral nirvana just never came.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #541 on: May 15, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
 :facepalm:Aural,I mean aural
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #542 on: May 15, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »
Ag.. BJ or Eargasm..both are ok ;)
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #543 on: May 15, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »
Anthony drives a Subaru and earns a whack but not one samoosa did he bring!....and he stole our parking!.....things were so much better when Joy was around.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »
Anthony drives a Subaru and earns a whack but not one samoosa did he bring!....
Shameless, ruthless capitalist... someone bring two planks and a few nails, quickly!  :baseball:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #545 on: May 15, 2015, 01:53:56 PM »
A few opinions given but nothing that convinces one of the few million Rand price tag, whether it is worthwhile or not. There seems to be no middle ground here only opposite extremes ?

Wonder what the dealer's opinion is?

"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
A few opinions given but nothing that convinces one of the few million Rand price tag, whether it is worthwhile or not....

Shoo  :faint: is that how much that Linn system costs  :faint:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2015, 04:08:20 PM »
And not even a sandwich or chicken leg.
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline christowp

« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Christiaan thanks for a great evening. The dealer is involved with "design of living space and supply of lifestyle components (audio visual). The dealer works with architects, interior designers and the end users (buying public). According to him they provide the space for all these folks to get together and discuss needs and possibilities at an early stage of development. Linn is but one of the agencies they hold and we were given a demonstration of some of their products. The music source was a streamer which linked with a server wirelessly and was coupled to a Macbook and an I pad. The speakers were active and connected via network cables and a power cable. Not sure of the amp power but much of the "sound correction" is done in the speaker as driver movement is controlled and varied through the amplifiers that are linked to the different drivers.   

The system can be adjusted (speaker positioning demo'd) for ideal (best sound for the room by consensus) and practical (placed where user prefers it) and will still have the same sound as ideal as originally chosen. This is where the computer links and software kicks in to make the adjustments. I am still old school with CD's and vinyl so found this all very interesting but a bit distant - I see it as the way forward and for some already the only way but not quite yet for me. The sound was good but there were some issues with the treble in particular - most of the folks felt it was a bit veiled and lacking in sparkle. I am sure this can all be sorted out with the software which takes account of room measurements and features relative to your seat (sweet spot I think). Various music genres were played by club folks and there was definite variation in quality as music varied and I suspect recordings etc (as already mentioned and as we know) play a role here.

The home theatre "room" was impressive. It also operated from a tower of equipment and a battery of speakers and processors which can all be controlled and set up in infinite ways.

It was not the best music reproduction  I have heard but I am sure it can be improved with the endless adjustments provided by the computer links , the servers etc etc. Price was not discussed as the final products sold depend on the design, needs, etc. You can build your system, cable arrangement, choose colour of components etc while the architect is designing your house or planning your renovation, on auto CAD no doubt.

It was more than just a demo then and part of the evening was to inform us of the service and how this company provides its service to the end user.  It was interesting and enjoyable - fun, light hearted and just good to chit chat with the folks who turned up.     

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #549 on: May 15, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
All this going on about food.  Don't you guys eat at home?

Next time we will take orders in advance and bring the food.  But you must pay if you want delicacies.  We can even collect at Riese's Deli if you want, or Cassis

Between the 16 visitors, we polished off a box of Christiaan's biscuits, plus a pack of Romany Creams.  And some guys did not eat any at all
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #550 on: May 15, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
Dean just eats everything in sight,i once watched him eat two whole chickens in 10 minutes!True story.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #551 on: May 15, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
Were they still alive? No wonder the third one ran across the road.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #552 on: May 15, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
This is not my new favourite.
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #553 on: May 15, 2015, 11:28:53 PM »
'Cause the chicken got away?
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #554 on: May 16, 2015, 08:46:09 AM »
I found feathers all over my garden this morning. Does this mean that Dean paid me a visit during the dark hours?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/