Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276167 times)

Offline Jozua

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #525 on: May 15, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
I was bowled over last night by the quality and absolute exacting standards of the home cinema at Sphere Custom Design. I would not be surprised if their home cinema room is one of the best, if not the best in the country !

The streamed audio was good but to my ears a conventional audio chain setup , still has a comfortable the edge on absolute transparency.

Definitely a worthwhile and very enjoyable visit.

A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Online Kent Kassler

« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
Thanks for having us sire.....i had an opportunity once everyone had left to sit solo and attempt to understand why the Linn speakers were making me unhappy.....sounding flat and well .....a touch too lacklustre without any bite(thanks JQ,that is indeed the word).....i found one of the answers.....the variance in the recordings(dont ask me where they come from,they just seem to appear when you type them in:) were so vast,one selection sounding perfectly acceptable and then a host of wtf is that moments.

I hit play on "Soulcall" by Miss Freelon and things were way better than what we had tried before.I get a distinct feeling that the Linn's are not happy with anything remotely average but also that they sound restrained and a little lazy.The lack of treble extension still baffles me to be honest.

Thankfully we all like different things ....these are not my cuppa but i am not the best set of ears for sure.

Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #527 on: May 15, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
Interesting, two very opposite points of view. Andre, please tell, what music played made you unhappy and why.

Jozua, please expand on your opinion, what music specifically excited you so?

Thanks guys.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Jozua

« Reply #528 on: May 15, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »

Jozua, please expand on your opinion, what music specifically excited you so?

Thanks guys.

The "Alison Krauss + Union Station" recording sounded excellent and is definitely on my next buy SACD list. Very natural and smooth sound.
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Online Kent Kassler

« Reply #529 on: May 15, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »
That recording would sound good on a Philips portable:)....Al,to be honest i have no idea what we were playing,at one point yours truly had an oompah loompah marching band doing Bach :) I would be keen to hear what others thought?......
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
Jozua, you usually don't play it safe or am I wrong?  What about the other music?

I have both cds, what else was new? Anything else that appealed/did not appeal to you and why? Break it down like you usually do, give us the dope.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Online Kent Kassler

« Reply #531 on: May 15, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
I am not trying to knock the speakers,first time i've heard them playing what they played which was in a room filled with arthritic pensioners an obese yeti and a Nasa scientist(the seated one) who wanted us to know he was :giggle:.....i played Mark Murphy and thought about what Leonard would say(truly i did).....and then i giggled to myself playing the scenario in my head.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:30:07 AM by Kent Kassler »

Online Kent Kassler

« Reply #532 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
I overheard Dean offering a night with his wife to the host in exchange for Cedia certification.....imagine his disappointment when he was informed that to qualify you actually have to fit in the roof!.....he ate 16 cheese and jam biscuits to console himself

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
I didnt go cos I was scared of the R100  debt collectors..and I hate ginger snaps.. and of course the "splicemeister" scared me most of all
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Online Kent Kassler

« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »
Dean has an ability to make me laugh like few others and his declaration out loud that his reel to reel sounds better made me leak a little :giggle:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
No car-guard/hub-cap liberators/menacing beggars around last night.  They were enjoying a tipple on the waste ground on the corner of Constitution Street, illuminated by the headlamps of a SAPS van

I think we should remember to take our own recordings along to some of these sessions (although some dealers do not like this).  Some classical pieces (I don't go for Jethro Tull and Diana Krall) sounded tinny and almost like recordings from the 1930's.  The sound was very polite and smooth, but seemed to lack excitement, despite Andre and Dean prancing around like ballet dancers fresh from performing at Artscape.  My own recordings, some stolen off CDs, some downloaded from kosher websites, some not, always seem to sound bright and lively, and my system cost but a fraction of the Linn.  The remote had strange symbols on it and without a book to refresh your brain, was unable to be used to alter the sound.  Maybe it needs a little tweaking.  The equaliser appeared to be able to extend to higher frequencies.

What was impressive was the software manipulation of the soundstage.  Many manufacturers are going this route today and Devialet have a SAM system, but the Linn one requires much more input detail about speaker placement and listening position.  I expect that new versions of the software will be issued from time to time.  What is also pleasing is the ability to upgrade the firmware in the various controllers, making them future-proof to some degree
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
IMO a dealer demo should be flawless and seamless , the system should have been checked and operated and a music selection made prior to folk coming , apart from that , a dealer should supply decent refreshments too..
Andre said some of the recordings were post war.. he mentioned the great rinderpest and the boer war...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »
What was impressive was the software manipulation of the soundstage.  Many manufacturers are going this route today and Devialet have a SAM system, but the Linn one requires much more input detail about speaker placement and listening position.  I expect that new versions of the software will be issued from time to time.  What is also pleasing is the ability to upgrade the firmware in the various controllers, making them future-proof to some degree

I what bothers me with the Linn correction and placement system is that there does not seem to be a way to plug in real captured measurements... The math and algorithms are all fine and well but I think adding some real-time measurement would take the DSP correction to the next level...

The Atmos room is awesome! I am not a big home theatre fan but something like that is truly special...

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #538 on: May 15, 2015, 11:21:59 AM »
Coffee was cold and no real refreshments were served,how was i supposed to make a judgement on an empty stomach.
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #539 on: May 15, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
im going back to root.. but the remit of the CTHC was to get more people involved.. so how has this worked out?