Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276394 times)

Offline Jozua

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
There is no agenda.

The reality is that until an alternative spot is available the present venue is simply to small to accommodate everybody.

Colonel66: If I am not mistaken you indicated a preference for the public notifications and held back in providing your email info.

Any proposals for a larger venue ?
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #421 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
Swimming pool and lawn not big enough ?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #422 on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Rodney we braai by you
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Schalk

« Reply #423 on: December 09, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
And here I thought, being "maybe" in the vicinity of the Great Sandpit at the bottom of that little outcrop you call the table of mountains  :BWAHAHAH: that maybe , just maybe I would be welcome too.... Clearly not (I do not like comparing dicks etc...)

Shall have to look east towards the Pacific side for now it seems  :sulky:

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
........ the Great Sandpit at the bottom of that little outcrop you call the table of mountains 

GRRRRR ...

He forgot about KWV and Bells ....
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #425 on: December 09, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
I am most definitely not having a free for all at my house.  Some years ago I had something similar and it deteriorated into a boozy brawl

The intention is to invite people who have shown interest in the club by not only paying fees but coming along to meetings now and then.  Those are the people who were invited

Likewise, if we don't have your email address, We cannot send you an invite.  My home is open to all who wish to come along, but not the general public and their friends.
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #426 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »
as a fully paid up member i was not invited

clearly i am not in the binnekring!!!!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

there in one swoop my christmas has been ruined

You declined to give us an email address, hence no invite was sent.  If you PM it to me, I will send you one

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #427 on: December 09, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
So what has happened to the bring and braai you are having on the 20th that I was invited to .. that seems to be limited to the few select?
If your intention is to bring people into the hobby , why is the "last meeting" not open to all.
At any time , when I have a thing at home , EVERYBODY is invited..club member or not.
I think this sucks and you bulldusting on the forum as to you being away also sucks. Why lie about it..
I don't want to be part of ANYTHING that is as elitist as this. I wont be coming .. and neither will I be coming to any future meetings .. you can delete me from the members list..

While KK might have thought it was funny advertising the braai to all and sundry, I don't really want to have more than 30 people coming.  Some years ago I had a similar event here which turned into a boozy brawl.  Someone fell or got pushed into the pool and cracked his skull on the paving.  This necessitated several days in hospital and a very unpleasant aftermath in which I was asked to pay compensation

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #428 on: December 10, 2014, 06:17:29 AM »
I have had many open houses at my place and been to many  at other peoples places , and not one of them have been boozy brawl ups.. the hifi crowd dont do boozy brawl ups
At any rate , its a poor excuse for your and the clubs elitism. Was the list decided by the "committee"?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #429 on: December 10, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
To me this is unimportant.  If you don't want to come, for any reason whatever, don't come.  My wife is not at all keen on the idea anyway, but I thought it would be a nice gesture to invite folks who took an interest in the club during the year.

It is a private committee braai, and we thought we would extend the invite to those I have mentioned above.

I have another house which is available a few mins away. It is completely empty and uninhabited and anybody can come there.  Depending on what the others say, the braai can be held there

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #430 on: December 10, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
What portion of my fees is being used for " The club will provide a reasonable amount of snacks and drinks (wine, beer and soft drinks), you are welcome to bring your own as well. We will have paper plates and polystyrene cups.  It would be awful to run out" ?
Why are club funds being used for this if it is a private meeting for committee and "We are inviting selected members and their partners to come along" use your own money like I did when I hosted the one meeting which was open to all , paid up member or not.
Disgusted with you and your committees small minded elitist attitude. Spirit of Xmas indeed..

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #431 on: December 10, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
Ok, I am out.  Someone else can organise it

Offline frikkie

« Reply #432 on: December 10, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »
What portion of my fees is being used for " The club will provide a reasonable amount of snacks and drinks (wine, beer and soft drinks), you are welcome to bring your own as well. We will have paper plates and polystyrene cups.  It would be awful to run out" ?
Why are club funds being used for this if it is a private meeting for committee and "We are inviting selected members and their partners to come along" use your own money like I did when I hosted the one meeting which was open to all , paid up member or not.
Disgusted with you and your committees small minded elitist attitude. Spirit of Xmas indeed..

The forum ate my reply.

I have to agree with Rodney. For two years in a row, I hosted an open-invitation end-of-year GTG at my house for avforums members, including spouses and kids.

Both years turned out to be a jol for everyone that attended - most certainly not a drunken brawl, even though some of us (me...) had a few... :ROFLMAO:

I can unfortunately not do so again this year, but if venue size is an issue, I'll gladly offer the pub as a GTG/braai venue. Lots of space, outside braai etc. I have offered the venue before as a possible vinyl faire location as well - I ask nothing in compensation other than maybe the one or two drinks I may sell to the alcohol drinkers.

Sadly I can also no longer be as involved with the club as I want to be due to weird working hours. I have paid my membership though, and as the very first meeting of the then-proposed club was held at my place, I would have thought I would at least be considered for an invitation.

As things stand now I will not attend, even if I do now reluctantly get extended the courtesy of an invitation. I think my involvement with said club ends here and now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:46:37 PM by frikkie »
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #433 on: December 10, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
And here I thought, being "maybe" in the vicinity of the Great Sandpit at the bottom of that little outcrop you call the table of mountains  :BWAHAHAH: that maybe , just maybe I would be welcome too.... Clearly not (I do not like comparing dicks etc...)

Shall have to look east towards the Pacific side for now it seems  :sulky:

Schalk

What is that thing in your sig - a valve foot spa?

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Jozua

« Reply #434 on: December 10, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

Any proposals for a larger venue ?

Gents

In hindsight the format of the invite and choice of venue was a 'mistake' . The main thing now is to find a constructive solution.

If there are no alternative venue's proposed - the event will most likely have to be cancelled.

Anybody who has a suitable venue, please contact me.  

Thanks

J

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:54:46 PM by Jozua »
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..