Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 304715 times)

Offline Jozua

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
....Jozua's Ribbons made every amp clip violently and we never had a Krell...fizzing and popping like a bowl of rice crispies those ribbons were....do not play vinyl on them again,EVER....I beg of you...

Kent,

At least they managed to capture the attention of the audience....

Maybe, next time I will bring a one meter long twin ribbon DIY driver with a .5 ohm impedance but only if you promise to bring a safety belt to tie you to your chair.... then I will show you what a bit of current can do to improve the thrill capacity.

Regards

J
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
Sorry I missed this one , actually I'm not sorry , it was wet and raining and miserable and I wasn't gonna make the groot trek from the boerewors curtain to the southern suburbs ...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
Why would you use a driver that nothing but a welding machine can drive - impedance of 0.5ohm is just silly....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
We missed you rodney.
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Jozua

« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Why would you use a driver that nothing but a welding machine can drive - impedance of 0.5ohm is just silly....

Apogee did the same......

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
Was my son's birthday. Would have liked to be there.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
Not trying to stir but clipping aside,the left ribbon was doing some weird stuff at certain frequencies even on the power amp belonging to Chris which I think is close to 100wpc...just trying to establish if I was the only one who heard this?Nothing more.How low do these dip in impedance?
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Jozua

« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »
I heard it as well.

Could be many things- no such behaviour with my 50 watt amp...

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Excellent...I thought it was just me...one year behind the dancefloor bar at Raffles in Bellville has had it's effects on my hearing.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
The driver is a 2" Sony fullrange in an experimental Cornu spiral built by Richard....Jozua's Ribbons made every amp clip violently and we never had a Krell...fizzing and popping like a bowl of rice crispies those ribbons were....do not play vinyl on them again,EVER....I beg of you...poor Mafioso thought someone had swopped his 301 and Supex for a Crosley with a Sanyo cart...I hope he believed me when I assured him that this was not Candid Camera(or his gorgeous table:)

Thanks, Kent. The above description is exactly my thoughts about the situation. You can see me clutching my hanky just before Joy wiped-away my tears.

Not to worry Jozua, I'm sure your toys have merit. I have a modified Einhell arc welder with WBT binding posts and Coke fridge cooling fan for a second chance to convince the unbelievers that vinyl ain't dead.

@ capetowntracks

Apologies for placing the 301 directly behind your feet. My own mistake and there's absolutely no damage.

And to all the kind gentlemen who helped me load and unload, many, many thanks :thumbs:

@ Dean

As you saw, I do indeed believe in cables but for all the wrong reasons :giggle:

Thanks to all for a super evening.

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »
Apogee did the same......
Yeh and they went bankrupt

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
Maybe, next time I will bring a one meter long twin ribbon DIY driver with a .5 ohm impedance but only if you promise to bring a safety belt to tie you to your chair.... then I will show you what a bit of current can do to improve the thrill capacity.

Is this for real, or an incomplete component? Usually there's a transformer in-between to match the load.
OK... just re-read: it's DIY. So, yes: you are missing a transformer.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Jozua

« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
Shaun

I do not use transformers with the 0.5 ohm ribbons.

J

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
1 - Ok, I will post individual pictures, then you can see Kent looking longingly at Joy in the front row
2 - My amp has a 120 watt pc output but the heatsink managed to get very warm driving the ribbons.  I thought it was the classical music doing it instead of the Jim Reeves number
3 - My own ribbons have a transformer built into the enclosure, but the DC resistance across the input is 1.8 ohms and it is recommended to never connect them directly to an amp
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »

Music is the shorthand of emotion