Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 276616 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Better pics tomorrow - thanks for coming folks, great success.  My bum looks a bit big in those pants...
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2014, 11:31:33 PM »
Chris,dont ask me how but i have the school keys(can you pick them up from me at the shop?) and i forgot to pay my R100 :thinking:....thanks for all the effort chaps and lovely meeting you all(some for the first time.)
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Henry

« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
Jeez boys, I almost got lost coming home.  My Google Maps app couldn't connect to the server, so I had to feel my way home.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:30 AM »

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
Oh sarmie bin Louder, (bottom row centre) and disguised as a Plumstead used hifi dealer ascended from the depths of the Dead Sea and made a rare guest appearance  :clap:

mafioso

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:35:51 PM by mafioso »
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2014, 03:56:46 PM »
See your distinguished face appears 3 times in those pics, mafioso, top left, second row right and third row left.  In the bottom row right it looks like you may have nodded off, Rodney is keenly evaluating the music next to you while Dean and Andre share a rude joke
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:59:56 PM by chrisc »

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
On sending out a mail from the Hi-Fi Club today, the following two email addresses were returned as unknown.  If it is you, or you know who it is and have a correct email address, please PM me the details.  Thanks

svd.vermaak@gmail.com   Name:  Stephan Vermaak

marcusvietvi242@gmail.com   Name:  Marcus (no other name given)

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
"marcusvietri"
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline placebo

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - Newsletter - March 2014
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2014, 12:59:03 PM »
Read it yourself here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By22-wi-jaVZcUpKQTBnM2U1cTA&usp=sharing

So was the first  meeting held on Thursday 13 March 2013?Oh wait that was a Tuesday. :angel:
Enjoy it guys wish I could be there.I would love to meet the CT guys.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
Oops, a typo crept in and it was proof-read too!  Shall have to hire another proof reader, or else open both eyes

Offline placebo

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Oops, a typo crept in and it was proof-read too!  Shall have to hire another proof reader, or else open both eyes
I will proof read for you for 12 Amstels per newsletter. :whistler:

For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline zeabre

« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
Proofread.  :tongue:

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I will organise a few bottles of cold drinks, some chips  and a platter or 2 from  Spar down the road.
If you want , bring along some snacks yourself and we can make it a real nosh up....the more food the better...
I have no booze at home , so bring your own if you want.. a papsak, bottle of whatever , whiskey , rum , OBS etc...
along with the stuff the club brings , we can indulge...

I would imagine there are some club things to go thru first - I recon 2 minutes is enough time here :)

What I will do is start off with a blank page , ie speakers in position , but no correction.
I will run thru the room and theory of placement etc .. show my panels and so on
We will then measure the system using REW to see the ugly curves (or maybe we will not)

Then I will use the antimode 2 to measure and correct bass under 150hz. we will AB and fine tune that ($1000 unit)

I will then use the Z-sys as a 6 band parametric to "tune" it all to taste ($5000 unit)

I will then go onto the $299 miniDSP using acourateDRC and FIR filters as an alternative , will also use it as a direct replacement of the Z-sys and antimode - lets see if a cheapy works just as well...

We will then go into a round of parametric eq tuning , trying to make my system sound the way yours does or how you like it..
I will show what freq bands affect what and we will do some tests as to whether one can determine small freq abberations and how big they have to be to "hear" them clearly.
Bear in mind , due to the amount of people , the results you hear wherever you are standing/sitting will be different , these systems really only correct the "sweet spot" in most cases
We will probably have to clear the room when measuring stuff as the amount of bodies will affect the room itself.
It should be an interesting evening and a good social event

PS if you want to come earlier , you are most welcome to do so - 6 pm onwards
PLEASE do not park in neighbours parking areas .. they get very aggro with me if my visitors park there , there is parking along the road etc...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:10:50 AM by Rodney_gold »
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »
2 mins is fine.  Some visitors will want to pay subs to CR, but they can do that any time.  CR is bringing some biscuits and cold-drinks

Looking forward to it, I am bringing 2 friends as well, probably get there 7.45 or so