Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 304850 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
Well, there has to be a bit of structure to any club.  The more participation from those present the better, that applies to any club meeting.  And don't forget, the braais, speakers, away meetings, need to be organised, they don't happen by themselves.  There are few meeting topics we have in mind and we will run them past you to see what you think

There needs to be a constitution since without this, no bank will consider opening an account.  We all know Capetonians are laid back, this is one of the perks of living here.  Our idea of resurrecting the club was to get a meeting of like-minded people together

It would be very nice if we were offered some equipment to listen to at the first meeting.  Some of the posts above tell me a lot of what you are not going to do, but not much about how you can assist.  Our hobby is one that can be shared, so how about sharing your expertise, knowledge and equipment?  I have several pieces of equipment that I am prepared to being along - an Oppo universal player, a DAC, a power amplifier.  Maybe my choice of music won't be to everyone's taste, so you need to bring yours, and tell us why you want us to play it
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline frikkie

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
Well, there has to be a bit of structure to any club.  The more participation from those present the better, that applies to any club meeting.  And don't forget, the braais, speakers, away meetings, need to be organised, they don't happen by themselves.  There are few meeting topics we have in mind and we will run them past you to see what you think

There needs to be a constitution since without this, no bank will consider opening an account.  We all know Capetonians are laid back, this is one of the perks of living here.  Our idea of resurrecting the club was to get a meeting of like-minded people together

It would be very nice if we were offered some equipment to listen to at the first meeting.  Some of the posts above tell me a lot of what you are not going to do, but not much about how you can assist.  Our hobby is one that can be shared, so how about sharing your expertise, knowledge and equipment?  I have several pieces of equipment that I am prepared to being along - an Oppo universal player, a DAC, a power amplifier.  Maybe my choice of music won't be to everyone's taste, so you need to bring yours, and tell us why you want us to play it

I have very little in the line of equipment to bring along, unless you would like to listen to '80s Jap stuff?
Got a GerDAC I can bring...
Music - I think that goes without saying.

And of course my sparkling personality.  :point:

*edit* Chris can bring his NS1000s... And then leave without them.  >:D
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2014, 03:02:42 PM »
Whatever he brings must fit in his car.

We are planning a DAC evening some time, so would welcome the GerDAC.  Also 24 Windhoek Lager, we will provide glasses

Offline frikkie

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
Whatever he brings must fit in his car.

We are planning a DAC evening some time, so would welcome the GerDAC.  Also 24 Windhoek Lager, we will provide glasses

One NS1000 on the back seat, one on the passenger seat. I don't see the problem.  :point:
 :dop:
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
I will bring a DCS dac(no kidding this time!)...hell anything anyone wants to hear I will bring...thankfully I am just down the road so no problem at all,don't worry about gear.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:32:46 PM by Kent Kassler »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
Chris , Im sure myself and others that join wont be concerned about the R100 we contribute being accounted for to the cent , and if the treasurer does abscond with the loot - we would all hope he spends it on women wine and song.. :) I wouldnt worry about a constitution or bank account...
Not sure what I can bring along , maybe my Dspeaker room correction system or If I go for a miniDSP , that...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
The treasurer is an honest guy, I have known him a long time.  We just want to get everything ready in case there is a need for a more formal association.  Some folk might feel more comfortable knowing that all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.  You have to cater for everybody, not just those who come along once or twice a year.

Offline Henry

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »
My aversion to club management and sundry comes from seeing too many nuclear standoffs between club members of a certain model airplane club.  And that is supposed to be a hobby enjoyed by mature men.  Somehow when certain people gets put in positions of power, something funny happens to the wiring inside their brains.  :coffee:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Just don't judge it or have pre-conceived notions even before it starts.  I have been on the committee of the Cape Computer Club since 1993 and seen the power-seekers, the glory guys, the useless people, the bullshitters.  None were downright dishonest but some came close to it.  The CT hi-fi club will be run to present the minimum interference between the attendees and the equipment.

Don't forget that most people come along to be entertained, to get away from the same old TV and stuff at home and possibly learn something new and talk to like-minded people.  If you start off with this in mind then the meetings fly by as if by magic and everyone goes home happy

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
I'll be happy to bring my M-Dac.

Offline Henry

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
Just don't judge it or have pre-conceived notions even before it starts.  I have been on the committee of the Cape Computer Club since 1993 and seen the power-seekers, the glory guys, the useless people, the bullshitters.  None were downright dishonest but some came close to it.  The CT hi-fi club will be run to present the minimum interference between the attendees and the equipment.

Don't forget that most people come along to be entertained, to get away from the same old TV and stuff at home and possibly learn something new and talk to like-minded people.  If you start off with this in mind then the meetings fly by as if by magic and everyone goes home happy

Hurrahh!  :thumbs:

I need some change of scenary.  If only to pester dear Jozua...  :rubhands: :Whoohoo:

Offline Jozua

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Hurrahh!  :thumbs:

I need some change of scenary.  If only to pester dear Jozua...  :rubhands: :Whoohoo:

Henry

Just bring the Krell clone along...

I hoping to bring a pair for 8" Fostex along - currently building it.

Regards

J
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »
I will bring a DCS dac(no kidding this time!)...hell anything anyone wants to hear I will bring...thankfully I am just down the road so no problem at all,don't worry about gear.

I'd love to hear that SCA35...

Failing that, I'm prepared to bring a Leak Stereo 20.

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2014, 12:53:40 AM »
That can be done Mafioso...she sounds fabulous.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
What snacks will bs on offer,nead to now if I must eat before meeting.
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs