Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 466422 times)

Online mr_b

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1815 on: November 29, 2021, 05:15:33 PM »
I can bring:
iFi Zen DAC v1 (MQA capable)
Chord Qutest (hopefully in my possession by then)
Audeze Deckard (uses a Burr Brown PCM5102A DAC chip capable of 32bit/384khz)

I can supply an RME ADI-2 FS, date dependant obviously.
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #1816 on: November 29, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »
Yes, that is a stunning piece of kit.  Friend in Ottawa has one, it has this fancy display in front
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Wolvebain

« Reply #1817 on: November 29, 2021, 07:31:21 PM »
Feels a tad limiting...  Reducing the capabilities of a DAC because the other DAC's are limited?

Both the Holo Audio Spring 3 and the Denafrips Ares II should support 1.536M (!!! Much more than M-Scaler) USB, BTW.

I'd suggest using HQPlayer to up-sample the Spring 3 & Ares II to 1.536M, and the other DACs to their max and listen for what sounds best...

I second this!

A Raspberry Pi with a SPDIF output HAT would be a good idea.
A man can be destroyed but not defeated

Offline pwatts

« Reply #1818 on: November 29, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
Feels a tad limiting...  Reducing the capabilities of a DAC because the other DAC's are limited?

Both the Holo Audio Spring 3 and the Denafrips Ares II should support 1.536M (!!! Much more than M-Scaler) USB, BTW.

I'd suggest using HQPlayer to up-sample the Spring 3 & Ares II to 1.536M, and the other DACs to their max and listen for what sounds best...

If the listening setup can be prepared days upfront with all devices present to optimize, sometimes by ear, the best drivers and configs for each device, then sure of course. And in fairness, ease of initial use is a big selling factor for the PnP crowd.
On the other hand, I listen to music basied on what's available, not what formats they are available in. The vast majority is in Red Book so I am considering downgrading my Tidal Hi-Fi Plus subscription.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1819 on: November 29, 2021, 08:34:33 PM »
In theory this can be done, as long as it does not involve a mountain of equipment and is easily reproduced by the owner subsequent to the meeting

Usually, we have a computer and this network bridge.  Id also suggest that standard, widely available cables and connectors be used

Offline Zilch

• Weet nie
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • ... never finishing projects
« Reply #1820 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »
A simple high quality CD transport with an active optical/coax SPDIF splitter would work perfectly.

That way one identical source goes to all dacs, and assuming the amps have enough inputs we can switch between the connected DACs.

It may not be DSD64 or 32bit/768kHz, however since the source is the exact same one only has to listen for the differences and/or whichever sound they prefer.  A better DAC will sound better regardless of the resolution (16bit/44.1kHz is sufficient).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:23:25 PM by Zilch »
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there" and "they're" then your a idiot.

Offline Zilch

• Weet nie
  • AVForums Veteran
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there" and "they're" then your a idiot.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #1822 on: December 01, 2021, 12:48:55 PM »
Optical splitters will add substantial jitter - although at least equal to each, it's not a hi-fi solution. A transformer-based coax splitter with dual taps should be better, they also exist.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1823 on: December 01, 2021, 09:41:31 PM »
Would the purpose of a co-axial splitter be to enable a faster change of DAC?

In the demo scenario we envisage, the media player (or whatever we use) would get its music data from a USB stick or SD card and be controlled by a phone or tablet

Is this necessary?  There is usually sufficient musical memory for listeners to detect differences between units.  Would a splitter be able to compensate for different output voltages?  Keeping volume levels consistent can be a problem when changing equipment

At the last meeting with the HOLO DAC, FLAC files were generally louder than DSC, sometimes by 15%.  A software media player like JRiver will, if DSD is converted to PCM, keep audio output levels constant

Offline Zilch

• Weet nie
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1824 on: December 02, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
Would the purpose of a co-axial splitter be to enable a faster change of DAC?

Yes, but also to ensure the source for every DAC is consistent.  As we have learnt with the Denafrips Aries II, not all USB modules are implemented equally.

Windows also doesn't like too many drivers installed for one task (e.g. audio output).

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1825 on: December 02, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
Were trying to avoid using a computer since USB is just about the only logical output.  A media bridge that uses a storage device like a memory card of drive offers SPDIF co-ax or optical output would overcome of the reported deficiencies of PC USB connections

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Vinyl Faire - 13th February 2022 in Plumstead, Cape Town
« Reply #1826 on: January 12, 2022, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #1827 on: January 12, 2022, 07:22:59 PM »
^^ I think that tonearm is a bit sick, Chris...  :giggle: