Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 456361 times)

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1770 on: November 15, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
@chrisc

Morning Chris

I sent a mail to register for the 11h00 session. Just wanted to check if you will be sending confirmations or planning on circulating an attendance list?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+174)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #1771 on: November 15, 2021, 01:53:09 PM »
Yes I will publish a list soon.  Everyone who applied to come has been accepted.   
You were one of the first to register
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #1772 on: November 16, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »
Setting up the listening room across instead of lengthwise is indeed possible.  I had not thought of that.  The room is plenty big enough

Setting up the speakers, those that are on the list, to fire across the short end of the room would be my default option without any second thought. Whilst the ProAc D2 would be OK playing down the length of the room it will most definitely perform better over the short end. I am quite confident about this based on more than 20 years of experience with this design and other smaller bookshelf speakers. If this kind of set-up is possible the Tablette could make a cameo appearance if the program allows for it time-wise and if would not cause too much of a commotion.

Offline stereosane

« Reply #1773 on: November 16, 2021, 03:05:24 PM »
My D2 are setup like suggested and they work great, the more space to there sides the better.

Online mr_b

« Reply #1774 on: November 16, 2021, 05:48:09 PM »
If this kind of set-up is possible the Tablette could make a cameo appearance if the program allows for it time-wise and if would not cause too much of a commotion.

That would indeed be a pleasant surprise!
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1775 on: November 25, 2021, 07:56:57 AM »
Like to join us on Saturday 27th?

Send an email to:  capetownhificlub@gmail.com and choose 11h00 session or 14h00 session

Attendance free.  Address - 10 Muir Road, Rondebosch, Cape Town - GPS 33 58' 12.756'' S   18 29' 8.412'' E

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1776 on: November 25, 2021, 09:44:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Looks like we have a full house for both sessions.  Everybody who requested to come is confirmed

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1777 on: November 27, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
Our session with Ryan Minnie and Kobus Dippenaar went off like a bomb

We were treated to a combination of HOLO Spring Level 3 DAC (superb instrument, clarity and sweetness out of this world, and Xavian Perla bookshelf loudspeakers, Pro-Ac D2 (wonderful rounded and polite sound), Moonriver 404 amplifier and a stunningly designed Audio Analogue Puccini Anniversary Amplifier

Ryan had prepared an extensive playlist and we were able to go through at least 3/4 of the items.   The first session started at 11h00, we paused for refreshments and lunch just after 12h00.   The second session started at 14h00 and we left just before 17h00

Our thanks to our Host Organiser, Andrew Hooper for the use of his exceptionally good listening room, help with the braai and food

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:34:32 PM by Curlycat »

Offline stereosane

« Reply #1778 on: November 27, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the opportunity to come Demo some equipment for the Hifi Club. Thanks for all the effort from your guys side  :dop:

I think it was a great day, I got to meet some people I've only known on the forum and some new people as well.

Online mr_b

« Reply #1779 on: November 27, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »
Thanks Chris & Co for organising this event. All the demo'd equipment was of exceptional quality. While the Xavian Perla definitely win for looks and transparency, for me the combination of the Proac D2's with Puccini amp was just so riveting and musical. Loved it!

Hopefully there will be more of these events in future... heard rumors of a possible DAC shoot out...  :thumbs:
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline stereosane

« Reply #1780 on: November 27, 2021, 07:54:57 PM »
It was really nice meeting you and I enjoyed your feedback on all the equipment while we where listening  :dance:

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #1781 on: November 27, 2021, 08:12:41 PM »
Really enjoyed the session.
Thanks to the Cape Town Hifi club for arranging, Andrew for offering up his house and Ryan and Kobus for the equipment.

Proac's driven by the Puccini fed by the Holo DAC is my type of sound. Really enjoyed listening to this combo. Detailed yet musical with an airy and open sound.

The Denafrips Ares vs Holo DAC comparison also settled that discussion for me.

Offline Dippies

« Reply #1782 on: November 28, 2021, 08:55:50 AM »
Thank you to the Hifi Club for the hospitality yesterday. It was great meeting some of you and sharing the different views. Happy Sunday to you all 

Online AlleyCat

« Reply #1783 on: November 28, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
Really enjoyed the session.

The Denafrips Ares vs Holo DAC comparison also settled that discussion for me.

Sorry for the edit.

Heine (@Drifter), what was your significant takeaways ?

Would love to hear how it fared against the 3 x price Holo. Didn't see any pics, nor other comments on the Denafrips Ares vs Holo till your's, so thought it did not take place.

Under the current circumstances I did not make it, another better day(s), for sure.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1784 on: November 28, 2021, 09:22:33 AM »
We compared the HOLO with the ARES-II twice
Once in the morning session and again in the afternoon
Connecting the ARES took less than a minute since the software drivers had been pre-loaded onto the computer and Windows 11 can recognise new USB devices very quickly
The ARES undoubtedly worked and offered a crisp and detailed sound
We listened to a variety of tracks, ending with Claire Martin's "The man who sold the world"
Then the HOLO was put back
It was immediately apparent that the crispness and detail was still there, but the overall sound was much smoother and any trace of harshness gone