Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 282251 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #885 on: March 25, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »

I compared my Nad M51 to the Theta DS Pro Prime II, and all I can say is I could happily live with the Theta forever... The Nad had more air and was smoother, but the Dynamics of the Theta were just amazing, it gave the music some slam and body without been shouty. They both sound very natural, but I found the Nad more forgiving of poorer recordings.

If you look at the prices of second hand Theta Dacs they offer some serious value for money.

Yip. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #886 on: March 28, 2016, 11:49:57 AM »
Indeed, for a proper A/B comparison between 24 bit PCM and DSD music, we would need a demo day or evening dedicated to that of which I am sure you will hear differences. Sometimes a remastered 24bit HDTracks download may sound better than a non-remastered DSD version, so it would still be tricky depending on the material. For instance, I prefer the recent remastered Led Zeppelin 24bit (HDTracks) stuff to some of the stock standard DSD ones, and some standard DSD Led Zeps to those 24bit high-res remasters, so it's a matter of choice at the end. In general, most DSD material do sound more fluid and grain-free, that's a lot of people's take on the medium by the way, not just my own.

Regarding the ease of plug'n play for Linux based servers with DACs, there is always the possibility of some care to be taken to get things to sync before playing files. Linux is still far more tolerant and less glitchy than Windows as you may have noticed the endless drivers issues we initially did encounter with the Window's-based laptop. One of the reason why we now prefer to build our servers with Linux. Linux will in most cases not care to install drivers which is a huge plus.  Some will not be pre-installed which will require some workaround, but in general, it's still more of a breeze than Windows.

Offline christowp

« Reply #887 on: March 28, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »
Listened to some 24 bit PCM and DSD tracks at Ramsey's yesterday. We played tracks familiar to me and did A/B comparisons. Personally I found the DSD tracks to sound more musical with better separation, good detail and a very clean but musical and engaging presentation. More involving. Take nothing away from the PCM versions but the DSD had the edge (not sharpness) on the tracks we listened to. I enjoyed the session overall as did my partner who seemed to echoed our opinions unsolicited. I found the Santana track sounded 10X better than  the live concert I attended but then most of that evening had poor sound overall.     

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #888 on: March 28, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »
Listened to some 24 bit PCM and DSD tracks at Ramsey's yesterday. We played tracks familiar to me and did A/B comparisons. Personally I found the DSD tracks to sound more musical with better separation, good detail and a very clean but musical and engaging presentation. More involving. Take nothing away from the PCM versions but the DSD had the edge (not sharpness) on the tracks we listened to. I enjoyed the session overall as did my partner who seemed to echoed our opinions unsolicited. I found the Santana track sounded 10X better than  the live concert I attended but then most of that evening had poor sound overall.     

It was fun indeed Chris, thanks for coming along! I was very surprised that your partner actually had even the right descriptions that some of us audiophiles tend to use considering that she is a casual listener, describing sound with words like tonality and fullness! It definitely helps to compare 24bit tracks vs DSD files even if those DSD files aren't the highest rate quality-wise, but yes, more often than not, they do sound better, especially "to the discerning ears".

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - April meeting - newsletter sent to members
« Reply #889 on: March 31, 2016, 04:31:05 PM »

Want to be included in the Cape Town Hi-Fi Club's upcoming events?  Send an email to capetownhificlub@gmail.com
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #890 on: April 07, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #891 on: April 07, 2016, 06:26:25 PM »
Love the idea of wine and music pairing:

Handl - A nice chardonnay
Wagner - a merlot
Rolling Stones - Tassies but add some laudunum
Sex Pistols - cheap red with a side of heroin
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #892 on: April 08, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
If you manage to sit through a whole session of Tannhauser, you may need a brandy to calm your nerves

Offline Peter Carpenter

« Reply #893 on: April 11, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
 :dop:

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Listen to a Devialet Phantom speaker system on 14th April
« Reply #894 on: April 13, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
Tomorrow, at Acoustic Solutions, you have the opportunity
to properly listen to a variety of selected recordings played
through this speaker system, plus listen to a digital turntable

Doors open at 7.30, it is 86 Marine Drive, Paarden Eiland

Members and friends most welcome

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #895 on: April 14, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »
Ok not impressed at all and at 50k each no thanks.
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #896 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
A good turnout this evening to Matthew Carter's emporium, Acoustic Solutions in Paarden Eiland to listen to the Devialet Phantom active speaker

It became apparent that these speakers are capable of a very clean and detailed sound, provided the music is not too complex.  Solo female voice, a small jazz group, some Dire Straits and even a Beatles number were reproduced with outstanding clarity and detail.  A large orchestral recording and a choral work appeared to exhibit sounds of strain, particularly if the volume was increased somewhat.  Overall a satisfying sound, but you need to choose your material carefully

An app is available for Windows and Mac called "Spark".  This simultaneously connects via your wi-fi network and also provides a playlist.  Some artwork and meta-data is displayed for the music you are playing and there is a volume control, but nothing else.  The playlist, album and artist data may be controlled from an iPad.  This app needs some work as it does not offer nearly the same user experience as JRiver for instance.  However, future releases will no doubt see some improvements

Our thanks to Matthew for setting up these speakers and allowing us to play with them.  It was a worthwhile exercise for all who came, even those who stood at the back and talked while the music was playing

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #897 on: April 14, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
What are you smoking
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Online chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #898 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:26 PM »
Only the very best...

Online pwatts

« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2016, 10:27:47 PM »
After a poor initial experience with a single Phantom overseas I was keen to give it a second chance in stereo in a different environment, and it was equally disappointing.. marginally better than the 701's in the staff room. There was one track with a harmonica that was admittedly not bad, but I suspect it's one of those tracks that would sound good on anything.
Perhaps in a smaller, better damped room they would fare better but after a few tracks I lost interest.