Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 384573 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Re: Visit to the BOSE shop, 11th September 2019
« Reply #1560 on: September 11, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
An interesting visit to the BOSE Lifestyle Shop today.  Our host, Paul showed us a video about the history and philosophy of the BOSE Corporation, founded by Dr Amar Bose in the early 1960s.  Today much of BOSE technology is tied up with MIT in Harvard, to whom Dr Bose donated much of the company

These are not audiophile products and appeal to the consumer who wants a product that can be set up and played with the minimum of fuss and positioning.   Having said this, there is a very good BOSE app that lets you control any music source to any device in your home and connected to your wifi network

Most amazing were the noise-cancelling headphones.  A demo simulates the sound you hear in a jet aircraft and the absence of background noise when these are operating in "full" mode is quite uncanny

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline BJ

« Reply #1561 on: September 12, 2019, 07:19:18 AM »
An interesting visit to the BOSE Lifestyle Shop today.  Our host, Paul showed us a video about the history and philosophy of the BOSE Corporation, founded by Dr Amar Bose in the early 1960s.  Today much of BOSE technology is tied up with MIT in Harvard, to whom Dr Bose donated much of the company

These are not audiophile products and appeal to the consumer who wants a product that can be set up and played with the minimum of fuss and positioning.   Having said this, there is a very good BOSE app that lets you control any music source to any device in your home and connected to your wifi network

Most amazing were the noise-cancelling headphones.  A demo simulates the sound you hear in a jet aircraft and the absence of background noise when these are operating in "full" mode is quite uncanny

I miss Joshua on the Forum...

New Moderation team should reconsider.....
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1562 on: September 12, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »
I think Jozua is rehabilitated now.   

He certainly got carried away by some comments he made in the past and a moderator I know fairly well was incensed by his untoward comments

If you also feel he has served his sentence, I can approach some mods, one of whom I know personally since he lives here in Cape Town with a view to reinstate him

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1563 on: September 12, 2019, 08:22:17 AM »
Some more pics from the BOSE visit.  These were taken by Jozua with his new Samsung phone

1 - Our host, Paul holding an iPad with Clive behind

2 - The manne listening to Paul's talk about BOSE

3 - Myself looking a bit skeptical

4 - Myself, Andrew and Stefan

5 - Admiring the goods on display

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #1564 on: September 12, 2019, 08:24:01 AM »
If you also feel he has served his sentence, I can approach some mods, one of whom I know personally since he lives here in Cape Town with a view to reinstate him

Without details it is difficult to make a value judgement, Chris. I do appreciate your effort to outline the events. I think it is best you simply ask the mod team to review the status of the matter. I imagine that it would involve inputs from those involved. In any case, if there is a process to ban a member, there must a process for reinstatement.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online christowp

« Reply #1565 on: September 13, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
A big thank you to Paul for hosting and interesting and entertaining evening. Bose products in a different category as explained by Chris C but still high quality and innovative. Suits well organised apartment type living and modern "minimalistly" furnished  homes. Some of the Bose products will disappear in the audio equipment and other clutter I have in my home.

Thanks for setting up the visit Jozua. Yes I also miss Jozua on the forum. He has been a committed audiophile for most of his adult life and is still as enthusiastic to day as he ever was. Any way we can make an application for a "presidential pardon" or some other form of parole with the view to full reinstatement? Shaun's point important here - there has to be some banning / unbanning procedure in the constitution. If not lets set it up.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #1566 on: September 16, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
He gets an admin pardon.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:49:12 PM by Curlycat »
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline Jozua_2019

« Reply #1567 on: September 16, 2019, 10:59:48 PM »
I miss Joshua on the Forum...

New Moderation team should reconsider.....

Ben

The "pardon" is most unexpected but look what you have triggered !

I do appreciate your loyalty and support through the years.

Chris Reddy, Chris Clarke and especially Curlycat.

Many thanks !!

Jozua

Offline BJ

« Reply #1568 on: September 17, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
Ben

The "pardon" is most unexpected but look what you have triggered !

I do appreciate your loyalty and support through the years.

Chris Reddy, Chris Clarke and especially Curlycat.

Many thanks !!

Jozua

Ooh Nooo....the mods released the wrong Joshua  :giggle: :giggle:

Jozua, welcome back my friend :2thumbs:

Offline HB

« Reply #1569 on: September 17, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »
Wow... Lots of water under the bridge since you "left". Welcome back Jozua!
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline christempler

« Reply #1570 on: September 17, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
Welcome back Jozua!
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1571 on: September 17, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
Looking forward to the cupboard clean out items and other bargains when you are able to post to sell

Edit - added picture
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:12:09 PM by chrisc »

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #1572 on: September 17, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »
He gets an admin pardon.

Admin is such a thankless job - literally  :whistler:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:41:25 PM by Curlycat »
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline BJ

« Reply #1573 on: September 17, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »
Admin is such a thankless job - literally  :whistler:
❤❤❤❤❤

💋💋💋💋💋

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: October 2019 club events
« Reply #1574 on: September 29, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »
On Sunday 6th October there is a VINYL FAIRE at our usual venue, the Cape Town Cricket Club in Victoria Road, Plumstead.  Doors open at 8.30

This is the penultimate Vinyl Faire of the year.   The last one is on Sunday 29th December and we hope to have many up-country visitors come along as well, so if you plan to be in Cape Town during this period, make a note of the date

The Cricket Club parking area can accommodate 25 cars.  However, the Tennis Club's parking area, immediately adjacent to the Cricket Club, is open from about 9.45 and is much larger

In addition to the vast supply of LP records, CDs, DVDs and books that the dealers bring, we have some speciality items for sale:  Leather turntable mats at a Faire special price of R120,00 (see poster here).  These usually sell for between R200 and R350.  Then we have Synthetic Turntable Spindle oil.  A 15ml container is R20,00.  And as usual we have an LP cleaning service.  There are 2 variants.  A double-sided vacuum in our cleaning machine is offered free of charge (maximum 5 LPs) or there is a solvent deep clean and vacuum for R20,00 per LP.

You can get these items and services at the left hand side of the bar, next to our poster

As usual at VFs, the kitchen gourmet, Gary McClean is on duty from early on to provide fresh wholesome food and coffee at reasonable prices.   The club's bar opens at 11.00.

The club meeting for October is on Wednesday 9th at Andrew Hooper's home in Rondebosch.  Details are in the newsletter attached.  This starts at 7.30 in the evening.  You'll need to pay attention to the music played to decide what differences there might be.