Author Topic: New Tv advice within budget  (Read 216 times)

Offline RAINKINGX1

New Tv advice within budget
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »
Hi All
Hoping to see a reply from Ken :-)

I currently have a Samsung 64 inch KS9500. I am really happy with the tv , but have come in to a little money and am thinking about buying the Samsung 82 inch NU8000.
What are the big differences besides the size of the two ? Will the picture quality be similar ?

Any suggestions on what else to look at with a budget of around R80k ? I can get the NU8000 for R60k. I would love a new shiny 77 inch LG C8 Oled , but R120k is just too steep. Also I really want to get to at least 75 inches if not bigger.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Offline KenMasters

Re: New Tv advice within budget
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
Here's a handy comparison: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-ks9500-vs-samsung-nu8000/292/586?usage=4854&threshold=0.1

Both being edge lit displays they'll have similar characteristics. Technically the KS is the better TV but I think the small advantages in colour gamut and peak output are more than offset by the difference in screen size. Though considering the size you're looking at perhaps a good projector is something to consider.

Offline RAINKINGX1

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at a 75 inch QLED 7 series. the 2018 version.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-nu8000-vs-samsung-q7fn/586/597

That's the comparison. So do I sacrifice going from 82 inches to 75 inches to get the QLED panel ?

This is a difficult decision. If you were to look at a projector what would you look at ?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at a 75 inch QLED 7 series. the 2018 version.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-nu8000-vs-samsung-q7fn/586/597

That's the comparison. So do I sacrifice going from 82 inches to 75 inches to get the QLED panel ?

This is a difficult decision. If you were to look at a projector what would you look at ?

Thanks for any advice.

It's hard for me to give feeback on edge-lit displays. I don't feel there's much between the two, I would just go for the larger set - they're both equally capable SDR TVs and in HDR since they're both edge lit the advantage the peak output numbers suggest are mitigated by the raised black floor in the surrounding area it would incur (as you can see in the comparison, actual contrast is much of a muchness).

Projectors I'm not so knowledgeable about. The most well regarded from an image quality perspective are those from JVC and Sony as they use LCOS derived display tech for their projectors which provides better contrast than the DLP and transmissive LCD based projectors of their competitors.

Offline RAINKINGX1

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:35:01 PM »
Thanks very much, managed to get in on a very special price and scored the 82 inch NU8000 for R49 999.
Brand new delivered.

Thanks Ken , appreciate the help.