CD Player woes

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostinthemachine

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys

I recently got this magnificent Sony XA333ES SACD player. My CDs never sounded so good but there is a few niggles.

It refuses to play from of my regular CDs (especially older discs from the late 80s, early 90's. - please note that these discs are all in flawless condition). All of these discs played without a nano-second of a hitch in my old Sony CDP-M17 as well as the Marantz CD-65DX (which is now past tense).

Last night I downloaded the service manual and accessed the service settings on the machine. It passed all its "self diagnosis" tests without trouble.

Also had a chat with Roland Vlok and he reasons its not the laser block thats faulty since the machine does attempt to read the loaded discs (and do play others).

So what gives?

The machine was looked after extremely well and is in great shape for its 12 years. This past weekend I carefully cleaned and lubed the transport mechanisms and also carefully cleaned the optics but none of this remedied the issue of playing discs. The tray now closes without sticking before the mechanism is fully lifted in position.