Author Topic: Get Better Sound - Jim Smith  (Read 31966 times)

Offline Hilton

Get Better Sound - Jim Smith
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Anyone tried out Jim Smith's Get Better Sound tips?  Very interesting and simple approach to voicing your room.

Check out at:http://getbettersound.com/index.php

if you have...how do it work out?
Ciao

Hilton

Offline WD

Re: Get Better Sound - Jim Smith
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:12:34 AM by WaterHond »

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
Anyone tried out Jim Smith's Get Better Sound tips?  Very interesting and simple approach to voicing your room.

Check out at:http://getbettersound.com/index.php

if you have...how do it work out?
The initial setup is easy (if you've the right tools [tripod mounted laser line, tape measure with a hole punched through at the end and a block of wood with a nail in it on which to anchor the tape when measuring]) and yields great results.  I've not yet had time to move things around in the grid, so I've no doubt there's "more to be had".  Colonel66 has gone further than anyone I know of applying Jim's methods.  Book is far better than the video.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline colonel66

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
There is no better investment you can make in getting better sound + some personal time

Buy the book - the DVD is not that great

Offline Hilton

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
Thanks...yes I have the book and have been working through it set by step to get familiar with the concepts.
very slow and progressive.
I would be interested to know if anyone had ever brought him out to Voice a Room here in SA.  Love to listen to the system/room.
Ciao

Hilton

Offline colonel66

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »

I would be interested to know if anyone had ever brought him out to Voice a Room here in SA.  Love to listen to the system/room.

I tried but said that he does not travel outside of the USA borders

Anyway armed with XTX measurement system , his methodology and buckets of time and i am delighted with the results

The thing i like most about his placement methodology is that it is not prescriptive  and not a one size fits all i.e. no rubbish like place speakers and chair in an equilateral triangle. Sure he gives guidelines but work within his methods and i am convinced that you will end up with the best position for YOUR room and speakers.

Offline colonel66

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
i am such a fervent supporter of this book that it begs to be made sticky.

If you are really interested in good sound (being on this forum would suggest so) then before anyone you to buy a new amp, speakers, dac (dare i say cable) pull out the credit card and get the book and apply it. I can think of no better upgrade, and this includes room treatment (the muze does not necessarily concur with me on the last phrase)

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »
i am such a fervent supporter of this book that it begs to be made sticky.

If you are really interested in good sound (being on this forum would suggest so) then before anyone you to buy a new amp, speakers, dac (dare i say cable) pull out the credit card and get the book and apply it. I can think of no better upgrade, and this includes room treatment (the muze does not necessarily concur with me on the last phrase)

Have been tempted for a while to get it. You have convinced me and I have just ordered it.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
Actually I agree - shitty placement will yield shitty results. Whilst acoustic treatments may improve them, they'll still be shitty. ;D

Offline Hilton

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
yup...have had good results but it takes a concentrated effort and time....kids permitting....looking to review my setup again over the holidays :)
Ciao

Hilton

Offline stereo247

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
As far as I'm concerned its a must have in your audio collection.  :thumbs:

You'll thank me later  :dop:

Offline Tobes

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Music on....world off
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
Is this book and/or dvd's only available by ordering on line or does some of the retailers have stock?

If no, did anyone order and how much does it cost (in ZAR) including shipping and all other costs involved?
Music is all around us, all you have to do is listen....

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »
The DVDs aren't worthwhile, just get the book online - and order hardcover. If you feel the hardcover is too dear I'll give you my softcover and pay the difference in book cost. You'll see postage cost during checkout.

Offline Tobes

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Music on....world off
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
The DVDs aren't worthwhile, just get the book online - and order hardcover. If you feel the hardcover is too dear I'll give you my softcover and pay the difference in book cost. You'll see postage cost during checkout.

Sent you a pm
Music is all around us, all you have to do is listen....

Offline christowp

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »
Just purchased a copy - taking delivery at the weekend

Will take it from there

CR