Author Topic: Hands up if you own a Valve Audio product  (Read 62368 times)

Offline mocodo

Re: Hands up if you own a Valve Audio product
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
Exclamé 100. Had mine for a few months. Best AV purchase ever!

Offline juventino

« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
Exclamé 100. Had mine for a few months. Best AV purchase ever!

Awesome and simple setup. Were the Speaker stands and AV Stand sourced together?
Like how they match.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline mocodo

« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »
I made the AV & speaker stands.

Offline juventino

« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »
I made the AV & speaker stands.

Very nicely done. Looks awesome.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline mocodo

« Reply #349 on: February 15, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »
Thanks Juventino :dop:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »
I know that earlier on this thread you would have to remove my Exclame 100 from my cold dead hands, but let me update that to ‘you’d have to remove my Exclame 150 with MC and MM phono inputs from my cold, dead hands’.  It really is all that.  Much respect to Schalk who creates incredible amplifiers and has to put up with all of us asking for the moon tomorrow! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Very nice stand there Mocodo.  Mine is a little more basic but a few more layers.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online FranZAR

« Reply #351 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »
I know that earlier on this thread you would have to remove my Exclame 100 from my cold dead hands, but let me update that to ‘you’d have to remove my Exclame 150 with MC and MM phono inputs from my cold, dead hands’.  It really is all that.  Much respect to Schalk who creates incredible amplifiers and has to put up with all of us asking for the moon tomorrow! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Very nice stand there Mocodo.  Mine is a little more basic but a few more layers.

You are one of the privileged few to have the 150 with phono. My 150 with the Siemens CCa and Whisper with 4 x Phillips Miniwatt SQ combo will certainly also not depart soon either.
Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #352 on: February 16, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »
:2thumbs:

Have had my 'tailored' Predator since 2010 and it's chained to the floor...  :groovy:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline mocodo

« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »
:2thumbs:

Have had my 'tailored' Predator since 2010 and it's chained to the floor...  :groovy:

"tailored" ... do elaborate?!?

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
Hehe,basically means 'tuned' to my liking!

Black Gate caps in the the PS,Mundorfs in the coupling stage,NOS Siemens tubes,HiFi Tuning fuse,and a custom power cable,made by JR Cables.

Luv it!!  :cleansound:  :groovy:

Online King_Julian_S

Hands up if you own a Valve Audio product
« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »
Hehe,basically means 'tuned' to my liking!

Black Gate caps in the the PS,Mundorfs in the coupling stage,NOS Siemens tubes,HiFi Tuning fuse,and a custom power cable,made by JR Cables.

Luv it!!  :cleansound:  :groovy:

Do those caps make a diff in the overall sound or are they just “more reliability “ or ? How would you describe the diff?

I ask because someone I had a general chat to suggested out of the blue the following ( note he did not say it will sound better or worse just suggested it may be interesting to “play” and see) :

[quote ]
It might be fun if you change the 0.1uF capacitor to various types.
For example, one pro guy in Japan uses a mica capacitor with a
tolerance voltage: 3KV!

http://www.spec-corp.co.jp/MC-DA/index.html
[/quote]

Note not for a valve audio amp but my 2a3
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:16:54 PM by King_Julian_S »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2018, 10:59:16 PM »
Hi KJS,I can't really give a definitive answer,since I had all of the caps fitted right at the start.

The Black Gates were bought on reputation for especially the PS.
Mundorfs were bought based on the change they made in my Jolida cdp. Mainly a smoother,sweeter sound,without losing detail. btw,Karel also did some work on the same cdp. I understand that he would rather say 'experiment',than 'better',since we all perceive these changes in a difft way off course. Schalk likes Hovland in the Predator mainly - if one can hear a difference,it's up to the individual to decide which sound profile he likes,no-one is right or wrong.

I would guess the caps make a difference similar to op amps,for example,like I heard when substituting in a phono stage I had.
I think the same goes for tubes,small changes which may or may not agree with you,it depends on what your system,ears and brain need to make you 'enjoy the music'.
So,in that sense,it may be worth it to some,but not to others.

So which one are you..?  :nfi:  ;)

Offline Doogle

« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
Decided to repost the extinct Photobucket images..... still loving my VA equipment!

Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Online King_Julian_S

« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »
Hi KJS,I can't really give a definitive answer,since I had all of the caps fitted right at the start.

The Black Gates were bought on reputation for especially the PS.
Mundorfs were bought based on the change they made in my Jolida cdp. Mainly a smoother,sweeter sound,without losing detail. btw,Karel also did some work on the same cdp. I understand that he would rather say 'experiment',than 'better',since we all perceive these changes in a difft way off course. Schalk likes Hovland in the Predator mainly - if one can hear a difference,it's up to the individual to decide which sound profile he likes,no-one is right or wrong.

I would guess the caps make a difference similar to op amps,for example,like I heard when substituting in a phono stage I had.
I think the same goes for tubes,small changes which may or may not agree with you,it depends on what your system,ears and brain need to make you 'enjoy the music'.
So,in that sense,it may be worth it to some,but not to others.

So which one are you..?  :nfi:  ;)

Tx sire..

Is your jolida Cd also an ecc83 based valve cd ?
I also use a jolida.

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #359 on: March 08, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
I have Mullards in there,bought thru Andre,will have to check if they are 12AX7 or ECC83,possibly the latter,yes.

I've had the player since 2005,like it,just now and then a little 'valvy',with the Pred,but overall much to like there for me.