Loudspeakers: Choices, choices, choices

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telephono

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here, but not a newbie in general. I'd like some help/opinions regarding loudspeakers.

This December, I have made a promise to myself to actually go through with my threat of upgrading my decade-old speakers.

I currently have a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones. They've served me very well over the years, but it is now time to let them out to pasture.

I'm ceratinly not an audiophile in the true sense of the word, but I do know that I like having a good hi-fi and I love music.

My system currently is made up of a pair of 200W Daan Jacobs monoblocks, an Electrocompaniet preampliwire pre, Enlightened Audio Designs DAC and Transport and a NAD533 turntable with Goldring 1042 cartridge. all of it is pretty old stuff, so it's kinda clear that I'm not a big gear-junkie.  ;)

I'm considering two options - both used. The first is a pair of Vandersteen 1cs and the other a pair of ATC SCM10s. They're both in the same price range - about R5K.

I want a speaker system that will give me more information, a fuller and bigger sound and more presence than the AEs. In short, something that sounds bigger and richer with more body. I don't want something shouty or edgy.

Musically, I listen to everything, from Queens of the Stone Age to Grand Funk to Dexy?s to Coltrane to Mingus to Poulenc to Bruckner and everything in between.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me some pointers re: the two speakers.  :-\

Thanks!