Mini-review - Sennheiser HD-380 pro

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostinthemachine

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mini-review - Sennheiser HD-380 pro

1600-HD380Pro_detail1.jpg

Image nabbed from Gearnuts site because I can never take such a nice pic of 'em

Recently I had to make a bold move and sell my entire project studio setup. Along with the lot went my trusty AKG headphones (K141 & K240). The AKGs always performed well for any job at hand and was great to listen music on - very smooth and laid back but compared to new headphones they sounded dated and tired.

Whilst I was in Joburg for a production I had to get myself a set of proper headphones again because the Blackberry earbuds just didnt do it for me.

For over two years now I had my sights on a set of SENNHEISER HD-380 pro headphones. A brief encounter with them a time ago made me pay attention and then my mind was made up by another brief encounter at a studio in Joburg. I had to get a pair.

Did a bit of research and found the best price at an online store. A set of SENNHEISER HD-380 pro headphones was on their way to me.

They are certainly not a bling-bling affair. Finished in matt black with a coiled cord they look rather plain and uninteresting but put them on and crack up the volume and your head is filled with a kaleidescope of audio-colour. They have the deepest and most life-like bass I have ever encountered in any headphone. And the bass is not "boosted" or sculpted in any way. It is present, fast, punchy and rock solid. Likewise on the other end of the audio spectrum. The treble is crystal clear without ever being harsh or piercing. Never a hint of glare no matter what genre is being played. Midrange is equally good and round off the audio spectrum perfectly with vocals being clearly audible without sounding honky or boxy. They sound amazingly good for the price you pay. R1800.

To boot they can fold flat and pack away in a sturdy travel case included in the purchase. This was another selling point for me as it allows me to pop them into my laptop bag without risk of damage.

The coiled cord is very stout - compared to the majority of mid-line headphones on the market and it stays untangled and does not get under your feet. The cable is also detachable and can be replaced by a factory-supplied part.

The earcup-pads are very comfortable, providing a tight seal that keeps outside sounds out and the 'phones sound in. The headband adjusts easily yet remains fixed at all times. They are lightweight and extremely comfortable for their rather bulky size.

At this price point I cannot fault them at all. I do have a few concerns however. I am a bit weary about the life-span of the ear-pad cushions because they feel very soft and "fragile". And I am also concerned about the mechanical integrity of the hinges and "mechanical" parts. But the set carries a two year warranty and is fully servicable.

It is one of the greatest audio purchases for me in a very long time. Satisfaction from the moment they came form the box.

More info and specs here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/monitoring-headphone-studio-headphone-professional-audio-hd-380-pro