Author Topic: Mini-review - Sennheiser HD-380 pro  (Read 6131 times)

Offline ghostinthemachine

Mini-review - Sennheiser HD-380 pro
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

Image nabbed from Gearnuts site because I can never take such a nice pic of 'em

Recently I had to make a bold move and sell my entire project studio setup. Along with the lot went my trusty AKG headphones (K141 & K240). The AKGs always performed well for any job at hand and was great to listen music on - very smooth and laid back but compared to new headphones they sounded dated and tired.

Whilst I was in Joburg for a production I had to get myself a set of proper headphones again because the Blackberry earbuds just didnt do it for me.

For over two years now I had my sights on a set of SENNHEISER HD-380 pro headphones. A brief encounter with them a time ago made me pay attention and then my mind was made up by another brief encounter at a studio in Joburg. I had to get a pair.

Did a bit of research and found the best price at an online store. A set of SENNHEISER HD-380 pro headphones was on their way to me.

They are certainly not a bling-bling affair. Finished in matt black with a coiled cord they look rather plain and uninteresting but put them on and crack up the volume and your head is filled with a kaleidescope of audio-colour. They have the deepest and most life-like bass I have ever encountered in any headphone. And the bass is not "boosted" or sculpted in any way. It is present, fast, punchy and rock solid. Likewise on the other end of the audio spectrum. The treble is crystal clear without ever being harsh or piercing. Never a hint of glare no matter what genre is being played. Midrange is equally good and round off the audio spectrum perfectly with vocals being clearly audible without sounding honky or boxy. They sound amazingly good for the price you pay. R1800.

To boot they can fold flat and pack away in a sturdy travel case included in the purchase. This was another selling point for me as it allows me to pop them into my laptop bag without risk of damage.

The coiled cord is very stout - compared to the majority of mid-line headphones on the market and it stays untangled and does not get under your feet. The cable is also detachable and can be replaced by a factory-supplied part.

The earcup-pads are very comfortable, providing a tight seal that keeps outside sounds out and the 'phones sound in. The headband adjusts easily yet remains fixed at all times. They are lightweight and extremely comfortable for their rather bulky size.

At this price point I cannot fault them at all. I do have a few concerns however. I am a bit weary about the life-span of the ear-pad cushions because they feel very soft and "fragile". And I am also concerned about the mechanical integrity of the hinges and "mechanical" parts. But the set carries a two year warranty and is fully servicable.

It is one of the greatest audio purchases for me in a very long time. Satisfaction from the moment they came form the box.

More info and specs here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/monitoring-headphone-studio-headphone-professional-audio-hd-380-pro
Inactive

Offline gifs

Re: Mini-review - Sennheiser HD-380 pro
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
I have a set that I use when I play my electronic drumkit and I must agree that they are really good. They are really comfortable (though slightly hot on the ears during an extended session).

You will be glad to know that after three years of very regular use, mine show no signs of wear on the cushions or any other part.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:50:01 PM by gifs »

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
You will be glad to know that after three years of very regular use, mine show no signs of wear on the cushions or any other part.  :thumbs:

Thats good to know!  :)
Inactive

Offline Skylark

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
How do they compare to the HD 25-1 II?
Music is in the Mind

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
How do they compare to the HD 25-1 II?

I had a pair of HD-25s a few years back and man they were uncomfortable! Squeeze the crap out or my skull and mid-range was a bit honky, bass underwhelming.
Inactive

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »
Which online store did you buy from - if it's ok to ask - direct from the one in your link?

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »
Which online store did you buy from - if it's ok to ask - direct from the one in your link?

Wes - look here: http://www.soundz.co.za/pSEHD380PRO/Sennheiser-HD380-Pro-DJ-Headphones.aspx

The price I listed is R400 over... my bad  :facepalm:

The service from Soundz is great and I'd recommend them over any other online pro-audio retailer any time. Not affiliated blah blah blah.

Been listening to Phil Collins - Another day in Paradise, for the first time on these and man, I ever realised what interesting sounds there are in the track as well as very sublte but effective technical production techniques. These headphones are truly "high definition"  :O0:
Inactive

Offline naughty

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
they are not bad but to be honest i preferred the "open" headphones ie the HD555 and upward to these because these sealed back units sounded a bit too closed and claustrophobic for me ie the open back units sound a bit more open and wider while these to me suffered from sounding as if every sound came from a speaker driver and they sounded narrower but then again my regular system is in a very large room so im a bit spoiled in that regard

if anyone wants to see some pics of these here are some of the ones i had (not as good as GITM's linked pic though)

what i used to love about these headphones was how they folded up and fitted into that cool carrycase that they provide for you - that really added to the convenience factor ..... in terms of sound quality i definitely prefer the HD555's and upward and if i really wanted a headphones now i would rather get the HD598 but thats definitely a bit on the rich side though the HD380's are also going up in price - when i got my pair it was around R900 or so at the time

for your purposes (music production) they are actually more ideal rather than being an audiophile type headphones which is more suited purely for playback

either way though congrats on the purchase and i hope that they assist you in your production endeavours as well as provide an enjoyable listening experience

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
Thank you naughty for the input. Open back headphones are an absolute no-no in a recording studio as you don't want any bleed into the microphone(s) when tracking.
Inactive

Offline dogears

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 06:53:29 AM »
A quick question if I may, actually kinda 2.  Do they isolate well and do they bleed sound at moderate levels?  Wifey does not like the sound of music sneaking out of my phones in bed :angrywife:

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
A quick question if I may, actually kinda 2.  Do they isolate well and do they bleed sound at moderate levels?  Wifey does not like the sound of music sneaking out of my phones in bed :angrywife:

Yes, they isolate extremely well. There will be some bleed but only when you listen at ear-bleeding levels :-) which these can do. Since they isolate so very well its not nessesary to crank the levels high because all you hear is music.

Funny side-note: the other day at my cousins place I had to help put up some surround speakers. I never work with powertools without ear-protection and since my dusty set of earmuffs were at home I only had the Sennies there. Popped off the cable, put 'em on and voila... excellent ear protection whilst working with a hammer-action drill at full tilt. (Not recommended though because these make moer-exspensive earmuffs!). 
Inactive

Offline Skylark

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
I had a pair of HD-25s a few years back and man they were uncomfortable! Squeeze the crap out or my skull and mid-range was a bit honky, bass underwhelming.

I had a rather polar opposite experience with the HD-25, which are apparently virtually an industry standard for monitoring.
Must comfortable cans for me yet - I find them lightweight , not vice like on my head, don't overly heat my ears up, balanced and great sounding to my ears admittedly not a strong bass performance but that is relative. The HD380 seems closer in design and sound to the Audio Technica ATH-M50? I had those before, people rave about them but I personally did not enjoy them, heavy,hot,fatiguing sound.
Music is in the Mind

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »
I have a pair of 380's and have been wonderful but the earpads rotted after 3 months. I did use them daily in the field with sweaty ears and they did take a lot of abuse but have never broken. I had the same problem with HD25's which have the same type of padding.

With normal home use they should last a long time.

I currently use Sony MDR 7506's which have become my favorites even though they don't seem to isolate the background as good as the 380's. I have replaced the earpads with suede pads that seem to last and keep me a bit cooler.

The HD 280's do seem more durable than the 380's.
Just my :2c:
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline morkhans

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
Anyone have experience with the HD 380's compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S?

I'm looking for something to replace my Sennheiser HD212's with. Must be closed back as I'm using them in the office.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
It is now almost a year later since getting these and as I am writing this I am listen to my favorite tracks on the iPad using the phones. They have remarkable resolution which makes listening a true pleasure. One of the best buys I made in a very long time.
Inactive