Author Topic: Auto refresh?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Andrew

Auto refresh?
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »
Hi,

Any chance of getting an auto-refresh set up for the forum? I'm lazy, I admit, and like the idea of being able to allow the forum to refeesh itself in the background while I'm working, so that I don't have to do it manualy to see if there are new posts.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Prince

Re: Auto refresh?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
Hi,

Any chance of getting an auto-refresh set up for the forum? I'm lazy, I admit, and like the idea of being able to allow the forum to refeesh itself in the background while I'm working, so that I don't have to do it manualy to see if there are new posts.

I agree. It does help.

-Sorry to piggyback, but another suggestion: Is there any way to include a Go up button/tab - to scroll up to the top of the screen or Go down button to the opposite. Will also make life easier, for us lazy people...

;D
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Flying High, Digging Low
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »
-Sorry to piggyback, but another suggestion: Is there any way to include a Go up button/tab - to scroll up to the top of the screen or Go down button to the opposite. Will also make life easier, for us lazy people...

;D

If I understand your question correctly, Ctrl & Home will take you to the top and Cntrl & End will take you to the bottom
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
RSS feeds do all of that in a manner much more accessible. I use Google Desktop to deliver feeds and I get a direct link to the thread and a short summary of the latest post.

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »
@Prince, Home/Page up/Page down/End work just fine in Firefox - it can certainly be implemented as a floating control of sorts or links next to each post within a topic, but it might make the pages even more busy visually.

@Andrew, I will look into auto-refresh - it could work quite nicely on the board views or on the "recent posts" page. Hopefully someone's already made an extension to do that :) Timber's suggestion is also a good one - you can subscribe to the whole forum using RSS. It would have been great if you could subscribe to an individual section or a search query - that's not currently possible with this version of SMF.