Author Topic: Advice Needed - Home Theatre Audio From Media Server  (Read 2352 times)

Offline delonk

Advice Needed - Home Theatre Audio From Media Server
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
Hi All

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a solution to this and I hope that you will be able to provide me some insight.

I have a Plex Media Server at home, sharing all my movies and music over ethernet. I have two Samsung Smart TV's, both on which, the Plex app is installed, allowing me to stream directly to the TV's. The Plex Media Server machine is an old repurposed laptop which I've had for a while and manages to server video quite fine.

I recently set up my new Yamaha RX-A3020 Home Theatre receiver and realised that the only way to enjoy music, concerts, movies, etc. was via an Optical Audio connection, from the TV as a source, to the receiver.

Now, I've been collecting quite a number of movies with DTS HD Master and Dolby True HD audio formats and I've read that Optical Audio fails to deliver the full experience.

Does anyone know how I can get the audio directly to the receiver?

Thanks,
Delon

Offline Etienne

Re: Advice Needed - Home Theatre Audio From Media Server
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
I am no expert on this, but as far as I know, by using the optical, you are in fact sending the signal straight to the receiver for processing.

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
Most tv's i work with only gives stereo out on the optical out on the tv.

You can only get DTS HD Master and Dolby True HD through hdmi. Does your tv have hdmi out?

My gut tels me if you use your tv as a media player your are stuck with stereo pcm. but i might be wrong.

tv part number might help?

Offline chefboyct

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Newbies but getting there
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
Hi All

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a solution to this and I hope that you will be able to provide me some insight.

I have a Plex Media Server at home, sharing all my movies and music over ethernet. I have two Samsung Smart TV's, both on which, the Plex app is installed, allowing me to stream directly to the TV's. The Plex Media Server machine is an old repurposed laptop which I've had for a while and manages to server video quite fine.

I recently set up my new Yamaha RX-A3020 Home Theatre receiver and realised that the only way to enjoy music, concerts, movies, etc. was via an Optical Audio connection, from the TV as a source, to the receiver.

Now, I've been collecting quite a number of movies with DTS HD Master and Dolby True HD audio formats and I've read that Optical Audio fails to deliver the full experience.

Does anyone know how I can get the audio directly to the receiver?

Thanks,
Delon

Hi Delon,

The easiest way to resolve this is to upgrade your graphics card with HDMI port. Then you simply connect the PC box to AVR via HDMI cable. Then you can also get a wireless mouse for over 10m and use the TV as your monitor. Then your media player software (VLC or XBMC) will be able to send the video and audio signal into your AVR. Then you will have surround DTS or Stereo as you see fit. It is probably the cheapest way to utilize your current setup. and do not get a separate media box (WDTV etc) and it is the biggest mistake I ever made!

Hope this helps!

B

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:24:56 PM »
you can use ARC
audio return channel using hdmi from the samsung to the amp
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Juggy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »
you can use ARC
audio return channel using hdmi from the samsung to the amp

Was about to suggest the same thing but I wonder if the network connection receives and the TV will pass that through

I know a USB plugin hard drive or thumbdrive will normally send the DTS signal back through ARC, not sure if connected via network would still perform the same