Author Topic: Audio Agony Column  (Read 14322 times)

Offline Tom

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+54)
Re: Audio Agony Column
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
Dear Sir
I own a set of vintage Ar3ax speakers, which has been neglected through the years by the previous owner. Today I was separated from them - I took them in for an upgrade.
Now my problem is I got quite accustomed to the way the sounded... But I am expecting to be in awe once they are returned.
What advice can you give should the "upgrade" prove not to be "pleasing" to my ears?
Kindest
Tom
Digital Media Conversions - Preserving Memories

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »
Upgrade your ears. >:D
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »
Tom
AR's were one of the first speakers to use a sealed enclosure , they  were named as "bass Reflex" , now imagine if your bung hole was permanently closed - what would YOU sound like?
A good reaming is required , but you have to realise that all that unexpelled sound that has built up has to be let out slowly , so essentially for the first few weeks , you are going to hear - to be blunt - bass that sounds like flatulence.
The condition should clear  in time , but you will still have to live with the bloat in the meantime.

Should the upgrade fail , a wad of Twin ply kleenex (the soft variety with the doggy picture) could be used to block the rear port and restore that oh so congested sound you seem to like. I would also suggest in the first few weeks , you feed them a soft diet , ambient music and light female vocals only , you can then progress to a high fibre diet - like Blue oyster cult and Rammenschtein etc.
Good luck and godspeed
Rodney.

Roon/tidal > SBT>DIRAC ddrc 22 > 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1's ..fully treated room

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:56 AM »
Dear Sir
My apologies for the erroneous and presumptuous moniker I previously used.
I hope your teeth are fitting better.

In 1968 a song called Yummy Yummy Yummy (I've Got Love In My Tummy) was released.
Years later I heard about doctors having to pump a gallon of sperm from Simon LeBon's/Rod Stewart's/Elton John's/ David Bowie's (pick one- or more) stomach.
My innocence was shattered.
Are the songwriters deviants, or was it a celebrity diet fad?
I you play the vinyl/ song backwards does it suck the love/ goo out?

Dear Adie - yes , liberal application of Corenze dental glue has helped immensely , see pic below

Of corsue youi reslise thje seminaal fluid buidup had nothing to do witjh fellatio or anal intercourse and was mainly the cause of  opverimndulgence in marshmelklows than in engaging in dui-isgustubf acct wurh rhe sanmew s=generixcxm species wiht onanasnistic ingfent, //iow k they werebner mioffies,,, /(shwlkoortty=\yfor tjre bnad ttyoundigf k vbuir ////i hjas 2 zabaz\x rifghjht now ans ahce koisre a ofr ior fo contriokl=llll;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
oops :fuse:1111111111111111111111
erregardsh rdnoyey]
That stuff I was sjoking is fukken sftring
neyrod
Roon/tidal > SBT>DIRAC ddrc 22 > 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1's ..fully treated room

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:18 AM »
Good set of molars there, Rodney

Offline colonel66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
Dear Rodney

I am in dire need of some wise counsel.

The problem is that i only have 1 pair of speakers in my listening room. There are others on this forum who have 4/5 pairs of speakers in their rooms all at the same time. I lie awake at night agonising over my inadequacies. I even have evil jealous thoughts that so many speakers can not be living up to their potential positioned in all together in one room. The sound must be comprised - it simply MUST be. I am losing so much sleep over this  that i wake up cranky and then end up taking it out on my kids!

All that time i invested in positioning my ONE pair of speakers - centimetres at a time - listening, measuring and then repositioning and then listening and measuring again has all been in vain!!! I should rather have worked extra hours and gotten some more cash to buy more speakers - because more speakers is what i need.

I have similar feelings of inadequacy when I am at a public urinal and a gentleman of African ethnicity uses the trough next to me. That is how bad it is!

Google tells me that i have speaker envy - can you cure me of this mental disease???

Rodney help me please.

ps Also my my amps only weigh 7Kgs. How many kilograms must my amps weigh to feel better about myself?

Offline ingenieus

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
Dear Uncle Agony

I have lots of audiophile gear in various states of (dis)repair stashed all over the place, in closets and so on. Some of the kit has been used in surround sound experiments but there are no conclusive results yet.

Do I
(a) donate all of it to a worthy cause?
(b) pull it out of storage, fix and service what needs to fixed and serviced and listen to loud music?
(c) hoard them in the vain hope that they will be worth enough to retire on some day?
(d) flog it for whatever some sucker a music lover is willing to pay and get myself a proper surround sound thingy with the money?

Offline goonchild

• AVForums Veteran
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
Goonchild
It is common knowledge that only green or black permanent markers can be used in the edges of a disc.
The blue ballpoint pen will disturb the balance of the disc.
If Rodney Gold had been inscribed , it would not be as much as a problem.

My suggestion is to cut off the edges of the disc to a diameter of 12cm , paint one side silver and use a black khoki on the edges.

You might find it a little thick for the player , so I suggest soaking the inscribed label off one side and use an orbital sander to get it to 1mm thickness.
You can use a small jewellers hammer if the tray doesnt close and a needlenose pliers works a treat to get the tray to open if it jams.
Good luck with the conversion.

PS I currently use my turntable as a lazy susan on the dinner table , works really nicely , only fly in the oinkment was one day my Auntie Bettie mistakenly hit the 78 RPM knob and got a load of sashimi down her ample bosoms...
Rodney

Dear Planet of the Rodden Goldies

I have tried your method of reducing full analogue to 16/44,1 digital sound. I am not convinced that the sound quality has improved, although CCR has seldom sounded as musical. Which grade of valve oil should I be using and is Aunty Bettie available tonight to help er a friend look for um a 78rpm knob on er his SACD player?

Yours sonically,
Cosmo's Factoryworker

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
Dear Uncle Agony

I have lots of audiophile gear in various states of (dis)repair stashed all over the place, in closets and so on. Some of the kit has been used in surround sound experiments but there are no conclusive results yet.

Do I
(b) pull it out of storage, fix and service what needs to fixed and serviced and listen to loud music?
(c) hoard them in the vain hope that they will be worth enough to retire on some day?
(d) flog it for whatever some sucker a music lover is willing to pay and get myself a proper surround sound thingy with the money?

Its C. Surely that is obvious?
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Dear Rodney

I am in dire need of some wise counsel.

The problem is that i only have 1 pair of speakers in my listening room. There are others on this forum who have 4/5 pairs of speakers in their rooms all at the same time. I lie awake at night agonising over my inadequacies. I even have evil jealous thoughts that so many speakers can not be living up to their potential positioned in all together in one room. The sound must be comprised - it simply MUST be. I am losing so much sleep over this  that i wake up cranky and then end up taking it out on my kids!

All that time i invested in positioning my ONE pair of speakers - centimetres at a time - listening, measuring and then repositioning and then listening and measuring again has all been in vain!!! I should rather have worked extra hours and gotten some more cash to buy more speakers - because more speakers is what i need.

I have similar feelings of inadequacy when I am at a public urinal and a gentleman of African ethnicity uses the trough next to me. That is how bad it is!

Google tells me that i have speaker envy - can you cure me of this mental disease???

Rodney help me please.

ps Also my my amps only weigh 7Kgs. How many kilograms must my amps weigh to feel better about myself?

Colonel
I fully identify with those symptoms, I too had only one set of speakers  and a single car - and believe me , in Today's world that is NOT adequate. I now have lots and lots of both and feel a lot better....

You have utterly wasted your money with your set of speakers which were obviously designed by someone with wee-wee envy - I mean c'mon , his name is DICKie...and they even look like uncut members..and as for the name , Giya , well Mr DICKie too must have been at that same urinal you seem to frequent (Pity they closed to one at Graaf's pool..ah well...)

A real role model would be acutelydefgi... He has 17 pairs of speakers in his bathroom alone  - spoilt for choice even when taking a dump. He obviously has  a torpedo compared to your tiddler.

As to your converted bathroom scales you use as amps , well they are FRENCH - anything french is bound to be merde , all the french are good for is gaulloise fags , stinky breath , smegma cheese and the only instruments they play is their own or an accordian.

Don't stress , I will take the system off your hands for R2399.00 and you can go to crash convertors and buy an 11.4 Dixon system.
Call me , I will arrange pickup
Rodney

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
Dear Uncle Agony

Do I

Ingenieus  - obviously your moniker is not indicative of your intelligence or you would not have asked this question.

Any good audiophile knows that hoarding is the answer , had Colonel69 hoarded , he would not be in the dire straits he now is in , that alone should be a lesson learned.

Taking up closet space is a cunning stunt ... less closet space for your wife to use by buying useless stuff like clothes...clever....

I can tell you that you WILL need that 4 pitch per cm torx head metric screw that holds the display in the broken CDP one day. Throw anything out or fix it - and it's gone.

I would take a lesson from our local Cosa Nostra hitman (who shall remain nameless)
He has an army of scouts that score the trash bins (on a wednesday - get there early) for any mechanical devices - and has been known to even grab stuff left out on pavements when going on his rambles with his beloved sausage dog "Schnatzi" , he spends vast sums restoring these gems , why just 2 weeks ago I bought a Bose clock radio from him for the princely sum of R19.97
The only "surrounding" you should be doing is yourself  with your gear..
Rodney

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
Dear Planet of the Rodden Goldies

I have tried your method of reducing full analogue to 16/44,1 digital sound. I am not convinced that the sound quality has improved, although CCR has seldom sounded as musical. Which grade of valve oil should I be using and is Aunty Bettie available tonight to help er a friend look for um a 78rpm knob on er his SACD player?

Yours sonically,
Cosmo's Factoryworker

Goonchild , did you use the right brand of silver paint ? Only Dulux roof n all is recommended....

What is this Analog you are going on about , it sounds like something I leave in the commode after a sumptuous meal?

As to valve oil , we all know the PenizzEase it the only choice you can make , lubricates for smoother running and removes all deposits on the valve stem , makes for a better seal too. You could also try a 3 angle job and do some head skimming if the exhaust emissions are too high.

I can dig Auntie Bettie up for you to help your "friend"  find his knob (Last I saw her , she was having a rest in Maitland No 1 , aisle 3 , plot 1867)  she charges R500 per hour , but for a few bob extra , she will remove her false teeth.... she needs a good warm up tho - last guy went all in straight away , he was a tad disappointed and  told me that spaghetti moved more when he ate it...
Rodney.

Offline ingenieus

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Thanks guys. Hoarding all the precious gear it is then. I will not list all the stuff here, but reading through my old posts will give you an idea.

As for the  :angrywife: she is even worse than I am.

No, you are not throwing out all those old Home and Garden magazines because the kids might need them for a school assignment late one night when they discover that an assignment they put off until the last possible moment is due the very next day and their usual modus operandi of getting pictures with Google and printing them out does not work because the ink in the printer ran out and you did not get a new cartridge because you were sitting on the computer day and night playing with all those circuits of yours and when are you going to throw out all that wood cluttering up the garage and all those bits of wire you keep in the study?

Well, what can I say?  :angel:

Offline SOAN

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »
Dear Uncle Rodney

Can you please help I seem to have become a gear slut  :whip:

The problem is I buy one set of speakers and enjoy them for a couple of weeks (sometimes days) and then I see something the classifieds, and I start to think to myself, I'm sure those speakers look / sound better than these ones, why don't I sell mine and buy them. Then I see a amp forsale and the same logic applies  :wallbreak:

Why can't I be happy with my current setup? What is this audio nirvana I am looking for? and will I even know once I've found it?  :thinking:

Offline colonel66

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »

Any good audiophile knows that hoarding is the answer , had Colonel69 hoarded , he would not be in the dire straits he now is in , that alone should be a lesson learned.

Rodney

errr a freudian slip???