Author Topic: Audio Agony Column  (Read 15038 times)

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
Audio Agony Column
« on: November 16, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »
Post your audio question (or any other topic - must have some hifi relevance ) and I will attempt to answer - Nothing technical or common sense tho.

Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline SeanS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Audio Agony Column
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »
Post your audio question (or any other topic - must have some hifi relavence ) and I will attempt to answer - Nothing technical or common sense tho.

I made a pair of interconnects today, gave each interconnect a black and a red end. I Needed more ventilation in my pre-amp, I drilled all the holes neatly, but with the lid rotated 90 degrees  :headbanger: so they all run down the one side.... as bad things come in 3s.. what will my next DIY disaster be, I'l too scared to look at a soldering iron now. Will it spill over into my regular life, should I be planning to hide under the bed for a week. I'm scared, help.

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
Hi SeanS .. a very pertinent (and somewhat nerdy) question

I definitely suggest bed , rather on top than under -  you can practice your drilling technique to your hearts content.

Be careful of mixing up the black end red ends , remember red is live and brown is neutral - and yes , check first and make sure everything is rotated properly so stuff doesn't only run down one side.
Don't let your lack of experience get you down. I sincerely hope you come right.
Rodney.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Andile

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Listen and you'll see!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »
Hi

I'm a National Marketing Manager for Dali speakers SA, I hate my job and would love to market something I believe in.

Pls help! Should I resign and join another brand or should I learn to love my current job?

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:28 PM »
Hiya Andile
You must not look at life and career in terms of just  B&W (Black & White) there are other colours out there - septic yellow for instance.

I'm not sure why you want to be a marketing manager for anything. I would rather try get a government job. Considering you are already in speakers , a political position would be ideal

You will earn a bar a year , get to drive a black range rover and can strike  a lot. Best of all , there is opportunity to listen to more hifi as there is very little work you will actually have to do..

The government in South Africa is a noble cause , something you can really believe in , in the last 20 years it has enriched many of the downtrodden entrepreneurs , has built 5 houses, has fought for crime ,  and has introduced many bills..which all of us are struggling to pay.
Be part of the problem rather than the solution
Yours sincerely
Rodney.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:27:57 PM by Rodney_gold »

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
hehe...with your hearing skills I also would hate my/your job....

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »
Dear agony auntie Rodney
How many times is it normal to shock yourself with mains voltage before remembering to unplug what you're working on? Is exposure to 240v bad for you?
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »
Mahleu
A good mains shock now and then is really not all that serious and is in fact sometimes the cure for a lot of ills.

In the good old days , when I was being trained under Dr Wouter Basson we did a study in this very field.

Suggested paths for the current for maximal stimulation and effect are
1) Front temporal lobe to ground
2) Anything that involves the heart in its path
3) Genitals to ground
4) Tongue to any body part

The study was a great success - you can find it here
http://www.anythingthatdoesntkillyoumakesyoustronger.php

The password is Dr.Death - remember it is case sensitive
Rodney

Ps here is a diagram of the circuit we used , a converted Leak valve amp

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:53:38 PM by Rodney_gold »

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
Hi Aunty Rodney

My love life is such a mess. I was not happy with being in a monogamous relationship with 1 PV1. I decided I'm gonna look for another one so I can be in a bigamous relationship since it would be nice to be sandwiched in the middle. I decided to go ahead and do it as its a right enshrined in the constitution.

This sounded like a good idea but overnight I found myself stuck between 3 and not the intended 2 so this had become a polygamous relationship. Please help a brother out with ideas on what to do.

Anonymous from Nkandla
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and CCM382|Harman Kardon BDT30|Samsung PS60E550|Optoma HD25E projector|Grandview motorised screen| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »
Dear Aunty Orangutang

The doef in my car and the dof in my head are not always in harmonious proportion.
How do I equalise them?

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
Timbaland ,
2 balls is normal , having 3 is a little perverse.
Get rid of one and harmony will be restored
Remember the golden rule , a Mange a Trois is NOT the same as a Menage a Trois
Rodney

Offline goonchild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
Dear Golden Rod

I have an ancient vinyl copy of 'Cosmo's Factory' on the label of which someone has inscribed in blue ballpoint ink 'R. Gold'. Is it good form to use the record as a placemat at xmas lunch or better form to turn it into a clock?

Yours anxiously,
Spike Milligan*

* Not my real name or father

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »
Adie
That avatar of me was taken by the famed photographer , Alfred Eisenstadt. I hadn't shaved that day and my false teeth weren't fitting well. Orangutang - how very dare your!!!

You have to realise that you need to apply some equalisation to synchronise the 2 Dof with the Doef , I myself had to apply a 3 db boost to 2,5khz to make the voices in my head sound like my hifi , it is a common problem , easily solved. Some of us are just naturally dof in the head equalised , unfortunately we don't fall into that category.
Not to worry , you will get over that hump with a little practice.
Rodney

Offline Rodney_gold

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »
Goonchild
It is common knowledge that only green or black permanent markers can be used in the edges of a disc.
The blue ballpoint pen will disturb the balance of the disc.
If Rodney Gold had been inscribed , it would not be as much as a problem.

My suggestion is to cut off the edges of the disc to a diameter of 12cm , paint one side silver and use a black khoki on the edges.

You might find it a little thick for the player , so I suggest soaking the inscribed label off one side and use an orbital sander to get it to 1mm thickness.
You can use a small jewellers hammer if the tray doesnt close and a needlenose pliers works a treat to get the tray to open if it jams.
Good luck with the conversion.

PS I currently use my turntable as a lazy susan on the dinner table , works really nicely , only fly in the oinkment was one day my Auntie Bettie mistakenly hit the 78 RPM knob and got a load of sashimi down her ample bosoms...
Rodney

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 09:10:30 PM »
Dear Sir
My apologies for the erroneous and presumptuous moniker I previously used.
I hope your teeth are fitting better.

In 1968 a song called Yummy Yummy Yummy (I've Got Love In My Tummy) was released.
Years later I heard about doctors having to pump a gallon of sperm from Simon LeBon's/Rod Stewart's/Elton John's/ David Bowie's (pick one- or more) stomach.
My innocence was shattered.
Are the songwriters deviants, or was it a celebrity diet fad?
I you play the vinyl/ song backwards does it suck the love/ goo out?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:13:36 PM by adie »