Review: Cambridge Audio 540R

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
OK, I will start and I will try and be as objective as possible. My first installment will cover my current receiver.

Cambridge Audio Azur 540R AV Receiver

Pros:

Finish. Fit and finish is way above what the selling price suggest. Solid aluminium front, fluted sides. Elegant aluminium remote control.

Sound. Musically(stereo mode) one of the best receivers I have heard below R10 000. Surround mode also way above the asking price.

Power. Always seem to have power in reserve, even when listening at high volume levels. I have not tested the limits yet, but found it VERY loud at -20b and this in sound-unfriendly surroundings(Open plan, lots of sound absorbing material)

Cons:

Manual. One of the most uninformative manuals I have ever come across. It is just an advert in 5 different languages, allthough beautifully presented!

DSP modes. I do not consider the limited number of DSP modes as a con, but to some people it would be a problem.

Heat. Generates a fair amount of heat and as such needs ample ventilation space.

Other equipment used/auditioned:

Yamaha RX-V450. Good in surround mode, poor musically(stereo mode). Allways felt under powered considering the specifications.

Yamaha RX-V650. Better than the 450, but I felt that the asking price were to high for what you really get.

Yamaha RX-V1500 & RX-V2500. This is what I expect when the name says Yamaha. Both these receivers have excellent sound and a myriad of features that will keep the fidlers among us occupied for months. Unfortunately the asking price is on the high side, exspecially if you consider what they sell for overseas.

Latest posts