SDA 15" Driver

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am doing a project using the SDA 15" Alu cone driver. This driver has two 4 Ohm coils and was initially meant for a servo feedback type sealed unit using the second coil as a sense/feedback line. However it has excellent uses elsewhere for a compact unit at reasonable cost starting with enclosures as small as 90l (excluding port volume) for F3 targets below 30Hz.

Qes 0.41
Qms 5.89
Qts 0.383
Fs 19.9
Vas 150l
Mms 440.9g
Re 3.6
BL 22
Sd 853.7
Xmag ~16mm
Xdam >>25mm
Pe 500W

This unit has a couple of trade-offs (specifically it has a rather strong motor, even before employing the second coil making it a potential unit to employ in a long high-compression horn, haven't modelled). The efficiency goes up a little when using the second coil, but only when you re-align the system, raising F3.

This thing will eat up loads of power (mid 86dB @2V, >10dB down what I am used to), so at time of writing I will employ SDA's 250W plate amp. The A500 would be a great amplifier for use with the two coils in series as it would deliver 3dB more and allow a slightly more efficient system.

This is a fair example of a manufacturer not sacrificing too much BL in attaining Xmax and means that it would likely have fairly low distortion and potentially have low-ish parameter drift under power.

Latest posts