XBMC external player: Foobar2000 / JRiver

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybasoul

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I wrote a patch for XBMC to use Foobar2000 as an external player. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and I can say that it is stable to a point that I even forget Foobar2000 is running in the background.

Now I'm in the testing phase for JRiver's Media Center(music only). It works but JRiver's web service interface is not as robust as Foobars2000's which makes my patch a bit buggy. Anyway, Im busy sorting that out and hopefully by the end of the week I should have something solid.

The patch is done in XBMC's core and it is unavoidable because the default ExternalPlayer is pre-compiled and packaged with the installer, and there is no way, at least that I know or came across while researching, of implementing this as a plugin which would have been ideal. This means I have to patch every release of XBMC, but it's not a biggie and I don't mind.

Anyway, this patch is for personal use but I don't mind sharing it if there is interest in it or if there is a developer(s) who would like to dig in and hopefully improve it.

I will post the shared link if and when there is interest.

Digital setup:
- Windows 7
- Foobar2000 -> WASAPI -> Creative sound card's Digital out -> DAC
- JRiver Media Center-> ASIO -> Creative sound card's Digital out -> DAC (I like this setup more. I dont know if its JRiver, ASIO, both, or placebo effect, but I really like this setup).

I will also say and claim that if you are using XBMC with an external DAC, you are not doing the DAC justice with XBMC's internal player  :sh1tstirrer:

*drops the mic and leaves the stage*