new speakers - budget restraint

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iris99

Reaction score
I've just bought a new AV receiver and need to upgrade on speakers. I currently have a 5.1 cheap Teac speakers setup (from a HTiB purchase a few years ago). Went to 2 or 3 AV shops during the weekend and the cost is way more than my budget  :-[

Basically I prefer bookshelf or floorstanding (correct terminology?) speakers vs. the small ones that you mount on a wall or attach to a small, thin speaker stand. The way my room is set-up doesn't allow any wall mounting and I dislike those "thin" speaker stands.

Budget is approx. R5,000. I'm wondering if I should spend those on the three front speakers, and upgrade the back two and sub later. Does that make sense? Does anyone maybe know of speakers where I can get the complete 5.1 set for R5,000?

Any advice would we much appreciated. My first starting point is typically Google, but in the AV world it seems that very little price information is available on the net.

I will check out the classifieds also.