Audio and Video Talk > The Vintage Audio section

Anybody know a little more of the history of WRS

(1/6) > >>

alternativeroute:
I was looking for a cheapie something to make a set to sell a turntable on Gumtree and came across this unit in the 'graveyard' section of Mr Harry's Pierced things shop (formally KK - shop is still Trading Station)...

Anyway after a bit of fettling it works great:

WRS SA 60

WRS SA 60

Mr Kassler (sorry Harry) says the transistors used are common and found in such versterkers as the NAD 3020...

WRS apparently was made in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)... Nothing else more that I can find on the net...

Kent Kassler:
Yip,2n3055's...nice JQ.....she sound ok?

alternativeroute:

--- Quote from: Harry's Pierced One on September 30, 2013, 11:50:24 PM ---Yip,2n3055's...nice JQ.....she sound ok?

--- End quote ---

Not bad at all... Considering I have it plugged into the 'special edition DC safe garage speakers'...

dogears:
I originally picked this amp up from a garage in Fish Hoek.  I googled it and the only thing I found was from a classified ad in New Zealand where a guy was selling a WRS amp (different model) which he had emigrated with. The ad mentioned it was manufactured by World Radio Systems in ZImbabwe.  Otherwise nada.  I dropped it off with HPO where it has remained since then.  Glad it came to life!

alternativeroute:
Sounds pretty good. Will run it lots more before I show it proper speakers.
My only two concerns are that it gets warm and I see little ventilation and the original mains cable must be as thin as tonearm wire. .. I have never seen such thin three core mains cable before. ..
Inside it was put together really neatly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version